What All Those Letters Mean On Your Tires

What Letters Tires - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 18th Jan, 2006 - 5:39am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

6th Jan, 2006 - 3:27am / Post ID: #

I came across this excellent informational article while researching why my car needs H-rated (and more expensive) tires, particularly since the car has only 33,000 miles and already needs new tires! Appparently, because my car is a V-6 it is considered High Performance; the H tires are rated up to 130 mph. (Now, mind you, I wouldn't even dream of driving that fast!)

So, here's the skinny on the "code" on your sidewalls:
https://www.ehow.com/how_107557_choose-tires.html

Wonder what all those letters and numbers on your tire's sidewall mean? This chart will set you straight. If you like your current tires, buy more of the same. A tire with a different rating but the same size and type may give you a smoother ride or better handling in bad weather.

TIRE TALK 
Typical Tire Label: P185/60R 14 82H 

IN PLAIN ENGLISH
P indicates passenger car tire. LT stands for light truck, and T for temporary (spare).....

Speed-rating letters indicate the maximum safe speed the tire is capable of carrying under ideal conditions, for an extended period of driving. You might not feel a difference between riding on T-rated tires and H-rated tires, but you'll save money on the former.  Higher-performance tires have softer, grippier rubber with shorter tread life. They're not only more expensive up front, but need to be replaced more frequently.  (click through for more....)

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 6th Jan, 2006 - 3:29am

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Jan, 2006 - 5:39am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Tires On Letters Those What

Thanks for the information, I never knew that about my tires. Upon research of my own tires, I actually have two different codes on my back tires. I always get used tires for my back wheels since its cheaper. Unfortunately, I think its the reason that they are wearing unevenly.

> TOPIC: What All Those Letters Mean On Your Tires

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,