Unhappiness

Unhappiness - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 30th Jan, 2006 - 1:24pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Are you more unhappy now than you were a decade before?
Post Date: 11th Jan, 2006 - 2:29am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Unhappiness

Unhappiness

There's more misery in people's lives today than a decade ago - at least among those who will tell you their troubles. So says a new study on life's negatives from the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center, which conducts social science research for government agencies, educational institutions, non-profit organizations and private corporations.
Ref. https://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060109/...inthepastdecade

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Jan, 2006 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

Unhappiness
A Friend

Unhappiness

Interesting...Would like to know the age of the group...As you get older and the happy ever after is not happening.. and you know that your life span has increased..it takes a bite out of the happiness..you have to go with contentment or acceptance..

12th Jan, 2006 - 1:41pm / Post ID: #

Unhappiness Health & Special Psychology

Raya, I absolutely believe that and would like to add that it's also the disillusioned 20-somethings that realized that life after high school isn't the joy-party they thought it would be. When real-life happens with its bills and stress and unemployment rate, it can be really sobering. Great insight though.

29th Jan, 2006 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

Unhappiness

Interesting study. In my personal life, I am much happier now than I was a decade before...actually, as the times goes by and I see my family growing in different aspects and myself also growing through experiences, I find myself much more happier now, as older as I get the better is becoming.

29th Jan, 2006 - 1:47am / Post ID: #

Unhappiness

A decade ago I was 18, in college and living at home. Today I am 28, working full time with a family and living in my home. Happiness is relative. I can't say I was happier now than then or vice versa. What I can say is that I was happy or unhappy in different ways. I suppose 10 years from now would be a better gauge for me. I'll let you know then biggrin.gif

29th Jan, 2006 - 3:25pm / Post ID: #

Unhappiness

I agree with you there, Malexander. I'm happy/unhappy in different ways now than I was a decade or two ago, although I can honestly say the scale is tipping toward the "happy" side more now than then, for a number of reasons. Partly because I can *decide* to be happy, and I feel a lot better when I do. We choose how we react to things, and just because something negative or sad happens, that doesn't mean I have to go off the deep end and start taking Prozac. This is where the acceptance comes in, I think, Raya. We can accept that bad things will happen, but it doesn't mean we have to be unhappy forever.

I really liked this quote from the article:

"Happiness has a very weak relation to the events in our lives," Haidt says. "Your happiness level is determined mostly by the structure in your brain - not by whether good or bad things happen to you. Negative events hurt or feel bad, but they are not usually as bad as we think and don't last as long as we think."

Happiness is an individual thing, he says, like a thermostat in our brains with a baseline that's predetermined by genetics. "We all move around, up or down, around our set point" depending on life events, he says. "The key to the psychology of happiness is to move to the upper range of your potential."

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Jan, 2006 - 3:36pm / Post ID: #

Unhappiness
A Friend

Unhappiness

Let's see...a decade ago I was...erm.. eleven. I think I can safely say I was happier then because I was still a child and didn't have the stresses I do now as an adult, or even the stresses I had as a teenager. When I was eleven I still had some of that carefree-ish attitude. My friends and I would be outside running around having fun most the time, and not stuck inside with mounds and mounds of homework.

Post Date: 30th Jan, 2006 - 1:24pm / Post ID: #

Unhappiness
A Friend

Unhappiness Psychology Special & Health

A decade ago, I was eighteen. I would say that I am definitely happier now. I have been married almost nine years, and now have three kids. My life is much more fulfilled than it used to be. In fact, I couldn't have thought my life would be this good ten years from then.

> TOPIC: Unhappiness

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,