Officiousness

Officiousness - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Feb, 2006 - 4:43am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 18th Feb, 2006 - 9:45am / Post ID: #

Officiousness
A Friend

Officiousness

Bare with me on this one as I try to explain this topic. I don't even know if officiousness is an actual word, however, I here about this word all the time in the church. The root word of officiousness is official, or to officiate. This word is used mostly with those who are in charge or officiating and are expected to see that others follow a set of guidelines. Helping others to follow those guidelines and rules in the church is not only expected, but it brings harmony when we are not in utter confusion. I for one am grateful for the rules and commandments in the church, and know that it is in the following of those rules, commandments and policy that we find freedom.

Officiousness becomes a problem, per say, when we have to decide between the letter and spirit of the law.

Example: My Home teaching supervisor rides me about my hometeaching methods. He says he will not count it if I don't change. He gets so rude. The fact is I see my families every month and care for their needs, I just do not stay every time to give a lesson. Again, the problem can easily be corrected, by a kind priesthood interview.

Example: We are taught that when giving our fast offerings to the youngmen in the church that we are not to give them our tithing along with it, because they cannot receive tithing donations. These donations must be given to a member of the bishopric or branch presidency. Yet I find many members doing just that simply out of habit. I have done it. They mean no harm and a kind reminder would change that behavior. Remember persuasion with love.

So lets say I come to this member , return to them their check that they mistakenly gave to the youngman, and demand another check and sharply remind them that this is not the rule and they cannot submit their offerings if they are going to submit them in this manner. You may have offended the family. They may be new or less active. Was it really worth this.

The question is was it worth offending the spirit over this obvious rule broken. This is officiousness. When we get so worried about being so perfect that we are willing to offend everyone to keep absolutely perfect. we can do better.

I believe the Lord expects us to follow rules. We are here to learn. So when do we draw the line? Have you ever experienced this ? What have you done about it?

Sponsored Links:
18th Feb, 2006 - 9:34pm / Post ID: #

Officiousness

We have a Board here called the 'Mature LDS Board', that covers a lot of these situations in detail, but I will indulge you by sharing some of my thoughts here by saying that in times past the Church seemed more 'strict', for want of a better word, about its' governance over these kinds of things. However, these days everything seems to be more light hearted and I rarely see anyone getting hyper about anything like this. There will always be isolated incidents, but not in general.

21st Feb, 2006 - 4:43am / Post ID: #

Officiousness Studies Doctrine Mormon

Certainly there are cases of folks who are called to positions of authority who let it go to their heads and become "officious" rather than becoming "leaders." It happens in all walks of life, in my opinion, where people just get too wrapped up in their position. We can be charitable and forgiving up to a point, but if we see that it's becoming a problem, then taking it to a higher authority might be warranted. Perhaps finding a prayerful answer to help resolve the issue would be a wise course.

> TOPIC: Officiousness

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,