DirkGently Introduction

Dirkgently Introduction - Introductions, Member Sharing - Posted: 26th Jan, 2006 - 6:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

General Discussion
Post Date: 26th Jan, 2006 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

DirkGently Introduction
A Friend

DirkGently Introduction

Hmmm, so this is my introduction is it?

Well, I'm a twenty-five year old Philosophy graduate currently reading an MA in Peace Studies at Bradford University... I live on the top of a blustery hill overlooking a town somewhere in West Yorkshire... I climb, enjoy art, live music, good food, independent cinema, keeping abreast of current affairs and occasional hedonism .

Peace Studies is a multi-disciplinary field (from politics, through sociology, philosophy, statistics, psychology, 'war studies', geography, economics, etc) with a unifying normative belief that violence is not a necessary part of our society (though conflict, fortunately, is).

After (fingers crossed) finishing this MA I hope to build a portfolio of work allowing me to explore my academic and journalistic interests. I am particularly interested at present in alternative technology, energy production/consumption and the way these issues intersect with security concerns.

I hope to 'meet' some interesting and stimulating folk from around the world and possibly get in a bit of networking - after all, that's what the net's good for right?

I hope this doesn't get me deleted (!) - but does anyone else feel there is a certain level of intellectual snobbery going on with this site? I mean - 'please check your spelling'... 'please use good grammar'... please make sure your posts are 'intellectually engaging'... OR YOU WILL BE MODERATED! Doesn't seem very democratic to me... Still, who am I to talk? I only signed up two minutes ago and haven't explored the site yet!

Anyway, this is me exerting my right to free speech: And dagnammit, I culdnt car a bit if its spelt rong. wink.gif

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 26th Jan, 2006 - 5:31pm / Post ID: #

Introduction DirkGently

Welcome Friend

Thanks for taking the time to register. If you have read our rules and Constructive posting policy then you will know how we do things around here, but if you have not, then please take the time to do so now --> Posting Policy. To help everyone get to know you better you may like to take a minute to update your profile by clicking on 'My Controls' near the top of this page and clicking on any 'Edit' link.

Here are some other links that may help you get started:
See All Boards | Site Map | FAQ

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2006 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 38,022
Flag Posts: 51,679
Avg: 6.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 4,582.80 FP
Charm: 394

DirkGently Introduction Sharing Member & Introductions

Welcome, I suppose, however I am not sure about your last comments. If you find the place suffocating then why did you join? The registration page specifically stated that you must agree to our terms of use before joining. If through reading the required policies you still insisted in joining - why do you now complain? Lastly, where does it say that on an internet Forum there is a system of democracy involved? I think what you said sums it all up:

QUOTE (DirkGently)
Still, who am I to talk? I only signed up two minutes ago and haven't explored the site yet!

Mind you, we do moderate seriously here, so you should look over our constructive posting policy before proceeding any further if you have not done so.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Hard Work | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Signature: Donate Please Support Our Efforts!
Post Date: 26th Jan, 2006 - 6:13pm / Post ID: #

DirkGently Introduction
A Friend

Introduction DirkGently

Thank you.

Debate already, wow!

JB, I didn't say I found the place 'suffocating' and, no, I suppose there's nothing to say that an internet forum has to be democratic... although I think I would say in that respect that if people aren't allowed to say what they want on a forum then the level of its debate is questionable.

I think I was just shocked at how, erm, rigorously the site instructs its members to adhere to its conventions... my own personal attitude is a slightly anti-authoritarian one but I do like the idea of a site geared up to constructive conversation rather than purely flaming and trying to hit on people you've never met and who live on the other side of the world! I would just wonder if the way you've phrased a few things might not intimidate users from backgrounds who wouldn't consider themselves particularly intellectual or for who English isn't their first language... after all, the place is called 'International Discussions' right?

Anyway, all friendly points - kudos on a comprehensive and good looking site! smile.gif

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2006 - 6:21pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 38,022
Flag Posts: 51,679
Avg: 6.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 4,582.80 FP
Charm: 394

Introduction DirkGently

I understand your points. The problem is on a daily basis we have teeny boppers (childish adults too) joining that do try to post sloppy insulting messages and so on, the rules and policies are for them mostly. If you can say something, and it is your point of view and no one is being directly insulted then it is fine. Of course in such messages you should state that it is 'in my opinion" lest your words be taken as fact or otherwise. In fact, you will see some heated debates here, but we try to keep the filth out - no easy task - so our words (policies & rules) must seem kind of strong. However, with that said we do have a Feedback Board where you can voice constructive opinions, but I would do so after you have become accustomed with using this place. If you do have questions, feel free to ask them here. All the best and look forward to your positive messages.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Hard Work | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Signature: Donate Please Support Our Efforts!

> TOPIC: DirkGently Introduction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,