Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers - Page 4 of 6

I understand the concerns about this. I tend - Page 4 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 3rd Jan, 2017 - 4:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Barbarian
Barbarian
Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin
Fighter
Fighter
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard
Rogue
Rogue
Ranger
Ranger

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Discuss  Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers
1st Oct, 2015 - 2:11pm / Post ID: #

Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers - Page 4

Just so you know, when I wrote this it was for a Dungeons & Dragons game I had a character in. Neither the Dungeon Master who ran it or the players involved are here anymore. Basically, the players would post loads of messages of melodrama but not actually make an action the Dungeon Master could use for the game. It was rather selfish in my opinion because the rest of players were waiting.

So, it has nothing to do with whatever game you are in KenGreen.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 1st Oct, 2015 - 10:24pm / Post ID: #

Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers
A Friend

Gamers Role-Play Melodramatic

Oh, I knew that. The only game I've played here is the one I'm in now.

31st Oct, 2015 - 4:54am / Post ID: #

Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers Reviews RPG & Card Board

The way in which I understand Krusten to be using the term melodrama in this case is similar to the player type described in the Pathfinder Game Master Guide as the "Diva"; some would call them spot-light hogs, "The diva is the center of attention, the focus of all role playing interactions that occur in the campaign world."

It goes beyond simply describing your character, their reactions, and/or the actions they take in response to a situation; they attempt to turn the focus of the entire game onto their character. They should really be writing a novel rather than playing a role playing game via Play By Post, because there is no collaboration between them, the game master, and the other players in terms of story telling.

I disagree with the idea that no one wants to know what another player's character is feeling. I want to know what the other characters are feeling or thinking if it is relevant to the characters action, but that is really the crux of it, the action. A player can describe in a post how their character attacks their foe and swings their blade, but it makes the story more interesting if the player describes the feeling behind it. They are attacking this goblin and thinking about how goblins razed their village, that makes it more interesting to me. I don't need a novel about the character's past that goes on for ten posts, most of it is not going to be relative to the situation at hand and I'm going to get bored pretty quick.

I want the other players to understand why my character is taking a particular action and what motivates my character, but there also needs to be an understanding that Role-playing Games are not a one man show. If a player is going on for three pages they aren't playing in a play-by-post game, they are writing a mini-novel.

I have participated in some play-by-post games on other sites where it is more like reading a novel than playing a game (Sometimes I think people can forget that ultimately that is what we are doing; playing a game), and in these situations I often find myself skimming through their posts looking for the relevant information rather than reading through the entire post.

On the other hand I am one that doesn't care for the "One liners" In a play-by-post either. I tend to want more than a single sentence partly because I think play-by-post lends itself well to character development. Sitting around a table one has to be relatively brief with their descriptions during their turn because it is real time and the other players are waiting for their turn. You don't want to keep them waiting for ten minutes while you describe, in intricate detail, your characters sword strike and how it makes them feel. Play-by-post is not as limited here, a player can take a paragraph or so to describe these things without really taking any time or focus away from the other players.

However, if I consistently see posts that are too long I'm going to end up skimming over it to find the pertinent details and I imagine that I would not be the only one doing so. Like Adelardus, I often find myself guilty of writing posts that are generally more lengthy than the other players and I tend to include "...a bit of description, both physical and characterization" Into my posts as well. I personally think this makes the game more enjoyable for me as I develop my character over time, and I appreciate seeing this in the other players as well as long as they don't go crazy with it and write several pages worth.

5th Nov, 2015 - 10:48pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Gamers Role-Play Melodramatic

international QUOTE (Aericsteele)
they attempt to turn the focus of the entire game onto their character.

That's it in a nutshell they want to make it a solo game its almost like they don't know other players exist. I don't know why they don't do an Role-playing Game blog because that's what they need.

international QUOTE
I tend to want more than a single sentence partly because I think play-by-post lends itself well to character development

I guess that can be true but then someone can say a lot and nothing at the same time.

Post Date: 6th Nov, 2015 - 3:07am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Gamers Role-Play Melodramatic

When I run a play-by-post game, I generally goad players to post what another character would see or hear from their character looking on. I'm not interesting in their character having a five-paragraph reverie about the time they had a fun autumn day playing with their darn corgi (Yes, that happened). You have a character sheet with room for background, if the others in the group cares to delve into it.

On the flip side, I am rather indulgent on letting players fill space with good dialogue. Many players, I have found, like breaks in the action to have their characters interacting together. If you can work your background into the dialogue, then it's not drama, it's constructive character-building, and, if you can keep it relevant, maybe party-building. Just remember, however, dialogue is not just one person talking. If the other players are not interested in hearing your character wax poetic about the darn corgi, and they have their characters remove themselves from the audience, then you're not in a dialogue anymore. When the party "Accidentally" Killed the corgi with a poorly-tossed lightning bolt, no one wept except for the shocked (Tee-hee) owner.

27th Nov, 2016 - 11:01pm / Post ID: #

Do some players realize that they are part of that 'Diva' or melodrama syndrome and if they don't should someone tell them?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 27th Nov, 2016 - 11:23pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers - Page 4

I think when a diva shows up you can tell them they are behaving that way but most just do not care. They will either keep acting that way and nothing changes or they will get mad and leave. There is no middle ground with them.

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2017 - 4:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 4

I understand the concerns about this. I tend to be descriptive in what I post. If a roll or action is needed do that first. It is selfish to hold up the game without an action like that. I tend to go along with what the other gamers do. If they just throw out actions and rolls I will do the same with maybe a little extra from time to time. In the games where people are more descriptive I go much more descriptive. It is fun to me to interact with other characters after responses have been posted to the Dungeon Master post so I'm not holding up the game.

In games where just basic actions are posted I don't know how there are ever ties made between characters. It makes it feel like a group of strangers who never get to really know one another. No, I don't feel that paragraph after paragraph is justified. I like for other players to post their character's thoughts and inner motivations. It helps me to get a feel for their character. That's why I try to post those for my characters. Just my thoughts.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 3rd Jan, 2017 - 4:17pm

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,