Ritalin Reaction - Page 2 of 3

Ritalin drives greater connection between - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 13th Dec, 2018 - 11:59am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 28th Sep, 2006 - 2:51am / Post ID: #

Ritalin Reaction
A Friend

Ritalin Reaction - Page 2

LDS,

First off, I would like to say that you are already on the right track by choosing a controlled release option such as Concerta. I can't begin to understand your child simply over the internet, but a lot of the common things suggested as alternatives could be worth looking into. I don't know what you've already tried, but getting him interested in some physical activities (sports, martial arts as well would be even better, as they not only help to burn off energy, but teach self control). Some children truly do have the chemical inbalance that these stimulants aim to correct, while others are victims of poor parenting (please understand that I am in NO way suggesting this is the case here), or simply other problems that manifest the same symptoms. One of the biggest hurdles to overcome when endeavoring to treat neurological illnesses is the deterimnation of their cause. Problem Y maybe treated by drug X, but is the drug really correcting the cause, or simply managing the symptoms?

From your post, it seems that your child may truly need these medications to function, so in that case, its a good thing they were created. As he matures he be able to control himself better, and without medication, as with Zelph (see his post below). Its not that these drugs are inherintly bad, we just don't understand ALL of their effects (intended and otherwise) and as such, their use should be limited to were it is really needed. Once medications can be developed that can specifically target certain problems, or even enhance our clarity, without risks of addiction, tolerance, and side-effects, than we can say that we have truly acheived our goals.

Sponsored Links:
28th Sep, 2006 - 3:06am / Post ID: #

Reaction Ritalin

newparadime, thank you so much for your post. I am trying to find out about the same options you gave (sports, martial arts) etc. The thing is that my son besides having ADHD, he has Acquired Aphasia (a speech problem) and his ability to communicate even though are improving with time, causes a lot of problems when he interacts with kids (they always make fun of him). It is hard as a mother to watch that. I know I cannot protect him forever, yet his understanding is very limited.

Regards to Concerta, I find that it does not last very long and right now I find him to be quiet aggressive and I know is one of the side effects of the drug and is hard to deal with it. The other concern I have with Concerta is that it does not fully "digest" within the body, so how is really going to affect my son in the long term?

I heard terrible stories about Ritalin. I hate all of these drugs but when your kid becomes so uncontrollable that you are 99% of the time trying to get a hold on him and check if he would not hurt himself can be very draining. So with my son, is not a parenting issue for the simple fact that his understanding is quiet limited (he acts and behaves like a younger child, probably around 4). So I am dealing with different things, ADHD being one of them.

I rather Concerta over Ritalin. I am not getting the results I want BUT at least I can talk to him!

I really hope that when he grows he will not longer need this medication. Sometimes as a parent you are put between a rock and a hard place, for one side your child is totally out of control if not medicated, but if he is he losses appetite, becomes aggressive, and does not want to sleep.

*sigh* It's tough...

Post Date: 20th Oct, 2006 - 1:02pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Ritalin Reaction Health & Special Psychology

STUDY FINDS RISKS, BENEFITS IN GIVING RITALIN TO PRESCHOOLERS

The first long-term government study of preschoolers who take Ritalin, the popular attention deficit disorder drug, warns of side effects but also found benefits in children with severe problems.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/10/19/presc...d.ap/index.html

Post Date: 19th Jun, 2009 - 12:14pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Reaction Ritalin

Ritalin backed as brain-booster

Healthy people should be able to take the anti-hyperactivity drug Ritalin to boost their brain power, a UK ethicist says. Ref. Source 4

Post Date: 6th Aug, 2011 - 12:57pm / Post ID: #

Reaction Ritalin

Ritalin ordeal sparks warning

White as a sheet and hyperventilating, a Hutt Valley High School pupil was taken to hospital after using a makeshift device to snort Ritalin he had obtained from a classmate, his father says. Ref. Source 9

Post Date: 7th Nov, 2013 - 2:44pm / Post ID: #

Ritalin Reaction

Surge in ADHD diagnoses gets red flag

DOCTORS have warned about a rise in ADHD diagnoses, saying some children may be taking strong drugs intended to correct a poorly understood disorder. Ref. Source 2

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Nov, 2013 - 12:57pm / Post ID: #

Ritalin Reaction - Page 2

Ritalin party use harmful

Students using Ritalin as a party stimulant and study aid need to be aware that recreational use could be as harmful as methamphetamine, an expert says. Ref. Source 4

Post Date: 13th Dec, 2018 - 11:59am / Post ID: #

Ritalin Reaction Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

Ritalin drives greater connection between brain areas key to memory, attention. Scientists have described increased connections between key parts of the brains of monkeys who have taken methylphenidate (Ritalin). Source 3n.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Ritalin Reaction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,