Addicted To Speed

Addicted Speed - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 15th Feb, 2006 - 9:04pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

The use of time
Post Date: 11th Feb, 2006 - 12:16pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Addicted To Speed

ADDICTED TO SPEED

ADDICTED TO SPEED - MULTITASKING SEEMS TO BE ROBBING WORLD OF FREE TIME

Fast track or slow pace. Revving up or burning out. Wasting time or spending time. However you categorize it, the multitasking world of cell-phone chatting, fast-food-eating drivers during any given rush hour reflects the fact that despite ever-speedier technology designed to provide more `free` time, many Americans never seem to have enough of it.
Ref. deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C3949%2C%2C00.html

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Feb, 2006 - 2:05am / Post ID: #

Addicted To Speed
A Friend

Speed Addicted

We are most definately a fast paced society, and we put ourselves there most of the time. I think a lot of this constant working and not having enough free time comes from our own procrastination. While it is out of our control sometimes to control the amount of work we have, I do believe that at least half the reason, if not more, is because we put things off. When it comes last minute to get everything done, we're all scrambling around.

Another part of it is taking on more than we realize. I did that a couple semesters ago. I was taken seven classes totalling eighteen hours, and six of those seven were incredibly heavy duty classes. On top of that, I was working part time. I put myself in a position to where I had no freetime, no time for rest or relaxation. Man, was it a crazy four months!

I make it a point nowadays to give myself at least one day every couple of weeks to just sit back and relax, and not worry about work or school or anything. If I don't then I will put myself into a state of constant panic that something has to be done and I'm missing something, etc.

15th Feb, 2006 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

Addicted To Speed History & Civil Business Politics

I would have to declare myself a living example of not having enough free time to relax and enjoy. I am very guilty of taking on much more than I should. I do agree that much of our workload is somewhat self inflicted as Babyblues suggest however I have noticed working over the past years that expectations from employers, managers or whomever might monitor your work has become increasingly demanding also. With each new breakthrough in technology that is adopted by a company a new set of expectations for productivity are also adopted. This may seem to most employers as technology makes things quicker and easier so that more can be accomplished in a shorter period of time yet for some reason the workload often required chores to be taken home and completed or extra hours put in to accommodate new objectives. Also this seems to be slowly drifting into the state of mind that extra projects before or after work should only take a few minutes a day. While this may be true for any one project that someone may obligate themselves to, how many of these projects honestly can any one person handle while living their current life? I am bad about this myself and realize that I must sacrifice a lot of free time to so many different (LITTLE) things that for some reason I have little or no time left to relieve myself of my stress and worries.

Offtopic but,
This is a perfect example to why over the past few weeks you have seen very few posts from me. I'll attempt to do better.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 7 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.7%

15th Feb, 2006 - 4:04am / Post ID: #

Speed Addicted

This is something I've been pondering recently: The speed of office machines. Our faxes, copiers, computers, and printers have become so blazingly fast in comparison with just 10 or 15 years ago. Does anyone remember the first fax machines? copiers? Agonizingly s-l-o-w-w-w-w-w... So it stands to reason that we should be able to do more work in less time, because we don't spend so much time waiting around for our equipment to do its job; however, at the same time, I believe that because "bosses" tend to believe we can do more faster, they also believe we can do more with fewer people. Downsizing causes two jobs to be merged into one, and so forth. In my opinion, that has caused just as much over-stressing and multi-tasking as anything else.

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 15th Feb, 2006 - 9:04pm / Post ID: #

Addicted To Speed
A Friend

Speed Addicted

I am ashamed to say it, but I always take too much time. I take my time getting ready and eating and end up running late allot of the time, especially to work. I'm not late very often, in fact, only twice last year, but I cut it close all the time! Most of my fellow employees are always running at break neck speed. We always have SLA's and deadlines to meet. Seems like everybody wants everything right now.

> TOPIC: Addicted To Speed

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,