Celiacs Disease

Celiacs Disease - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 26th Feb, 2018 - 12:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Coeliacs Disease
Post Date: 16th Feb, 2006 - 5:38pm / Post ID: #

Celiacs Disease

Celiacs Disease
UK: Coeliacs Disease

Do you know anyone that suffers from this disease? How has it affected them? Have you had to adjust your own lifestyle if the person is part of your family?

What is coeliac disease?

Coeliac disease (also known as gluten-sensitive enteropathy or coeliac sprue) is a condition of the small intestine. Gluten, a substance found in wheat, barley and rye, reacts with the small bowel, causing damage by activating the immune system to attack the delicate lining of the bowel, which is responsible for absorbing nutrients and vitamins. The condition is often diagnosed in childhood...
Ref. https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/glutenallergy.htm

Sponsored Links:
16th Feb, 2006 - 6:21pm / Post ID: #

Disease Celiacs

yes, both my husband and my daughter have this illness, my husband got diagnosed with it about 9 years ago, when he was 31 years old! We had never even heard about it before, and was a nightmare to come to terms with.Up until that point, he was able to eat anything that he liked, and has really missed having pies, and "proper" bread, amongst other things.I must say however, that the longer he has had the illness, the more we have adjusted to it, and there are more and more products available that do not contain gluten.We have even managed to find a fish and chip shop who make gluten free fish and chips, and a butcher who makes fantastic gluten free pork pies.

My daughter is 4 years old, and was born with the illness, by this time, we were "dab" hands at dealing with the requirements for healthy living with this illness.
some of the things that we have to remember especially with having a young child are: as I myself do not have this illness, I may eat a sandwhich containing flour, my daughter has this illness so strongly to the effect that after I have eaten a sandwich, I have to go and wash my hands before I hold her hand so that she doesn't get "cross contamination" ie: so that there is no chance of her having any trace of flour transferred to her hand, that she could then transfer to her mouth!

We have to have seperate chopping boards in our kitchen, as well as seperate butter, so that a knife that has buttered bread isn't put back into the butter.

It all sounds a bit complicated I know, but when you are living with it, it just becomes "second nature" and the alternative, is if you don't take these precautions, and you carry on having gluten when you've got an intolerence, you could end up with having stomach cancer, so when you look at it like that, it's really not worth the risk!

18th Aug, 2008 - 5:19pm / Post ID: #

Celiacs Disease Health & Special Psychology

My wife and Niece both suffer this and I think my sister in law might but refused to admit it. Splotching skin bloating foul gas were the big indicators also to note often it is accompanied with egg or milk allergies. Round distended belly is also another heads up.

We just changed cooking habits and I encouraged here to just say forget breads as she was an addict to them. I make many items from the bean flours and such and found pastries and pasta even better then before. bread is still and issue I fight with but will manage one day to make lighter but they all have better flavor then traditional breads.

I will also advise stay away from many Ice cream makers as they pad with products ground on mills that are tainted with wheat. One company is Chapman's from Markdale Ontario are gluten free but along the Chapman's ice cream not the yogurt stuff or the premium line. proudly Canadian and now shipped to the States. (I do not work for them just grew up near the plant.)

Post Date: 26th Feb, 2016 - 1:22pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Disease Celiacs

What To Do if You Suspect Gluten Problems

Symptoms of gluten sensitivity include irritable bowel type symptoms such as bloating, abdominal pain, and changes in bowel habits, as well as systemic manifestations such as brain fog, headache, fatigue, depression, joint and muscle aches, numbness in the extremities, skin rash, or anemia. I previously discussed why people who suspect they might be gluten sensitive […] Ref. Source 2m.

Post Date: 17th Aug, 2016 - 2:00pm / Post ID: #

Disease Celiacs

Season and region of birth linked to heightened childhood celiac disease risk

Circulating viral infections may help explain the temporal and geographical patterns associated with the risk of developing childhood celiac disease, conclude Swedish researchers. Ref. Source 8x.

Post Date: 7th Apr, 2017 - 1:04pm / Post ID: #

Celiacs Disease

Seemingly innocuous virus can trigger celiac disease

Infection with reovirus, a common but otherwise harmless virus, can trigger the immune system response to gluten that leads to celiac disease, according to new research. Ref. Source 7h.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd Jun, 2017 - 1:01pm / Post ID: #

Celiacs Disease

Infections in early life associated with increased risk for celiac disease. Infections during infancy are associated with increased risk for gluten intolerance (Celiac disease) later on. Apparently the risk is particularly high in the case of repeated gastrointestinal infections in the first year of life, new research demonstrates. Source 5g.

Post Date: 26th Feb, 2018 - 12:19pm / Post ID: #

Celiacs Disease Psychology Special & Health

Looking for an off switch for celiac disease. New research identifies an enzyme that turns off transglutaminase 2, potentially paving the way for new treatments for celiac disease. Source 1b.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Celiacs Disease

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,