Fish Batter & Yorkshire Pudding Recipes

Fish Batter Yorkshire Pudding Recipes - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 5th Jan, 2008 - 4:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Fish Batter &, Yorkshire Pudding Recipes
22nd Feb, 2006 - 9:35pm / Post ID: #

Fish Batter And Yorkshire Pudding Recipes

In England we eat a lot of fish and chips. The fish is coated in a batter and deep fried, the chips are potatoes cut into thin chunks (like fries)and then also deep fried. We eat this mainly with salt and vinegar sprinkled on the top.

Recipe for Batter

100g (4oz) plain flour(flour all purpose)
pinch of salt
1 egg
300ml (1/2 pint) milk

Method

Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and mix. Make a "Well" in the centre ie-- push all the flour to the outsides of the bowl, and break into it the egg. Gradually add half the milk to the egg, and work the flour into the well, stirring with a wooden spoon so that the flour falls in a thin film onto the liquid. Whisk with an electric whisker,(you can whisk it by hand whisker, but it will take you longer)
do this until smooth, then gradually whisk in the remaining milk. Leave to stand for 30 minutes to allow the flour to swell.

All you have to do then is completely dip fish into the batter and deep fry. We mainly use cod or haddock, but I suppose most large fish types will do!
Don't forget the vinegar though to really get the taste of it!

*Yorkshire puddings*

Follow the recipe for batter as above, Brush individual muffin tins with oil or melted fat and heat them on the top shelf of an oven (220°C, 425°F Gas mark 7) Whisk the mixture well and pour it into a jug. Half-fill the tins and bake in the top of the oven for 20-30 minutes or until well risen, crisp and golden. Serve immediately because they toughen as they cool.

We eat these Yorkshire puddings normally with gravy, potatoes roast beef and loads of vegetables. I'm getting hungry just listing it!

Fish Batter & Yorkshire Pudding Recipes (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
23rd Feb, 2006 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Recipes Pudding Yorkshire and Batter Fish

This thread needs to be framed in gold! I will be sure to pass these on to LDS_forever as she likes challenges. Now all I need to do is get the gravy and fish filets!

For those of you who have not seen English Fish & Chips: Image from the BBC:

Fish Batter & Yorkshire Pudding Recipes (Hover)

4th Jul, 2006 - 6:26pm / Post ID: #

Fish Batter & Yorkshire Pudding Recipes Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I didn't think until today to add, that using the batter recipe listed, English fish and chip shops cut thick slices of onion, and dip into the batter mixture and fry in deep fat to make onion rings.

In addition to this, the same is done to whole small mushrooms, to which they are eaten with salt and vinegar sprinkled over.

Also thin slices of potato, coated with batter and deep fried are known here as potato Scallops.

The same batter mixture is used in the Chinese fish and chip shops here, to make banana fritters and also pineapple fritters, but these are made into a dessert by pouring maple syrup over them, very sweet but very tasty!

4th Jul, 2006 - 6:32pm / Post ID: #

I am hungry! You know one thing that is important in all of this is the fish! You have a unique fish there (cod I believe) that is not available here. I believe the closest thing we have is shark or king fish. I have created a similar batter recently that came out pretty good, but I think the oil that is used makes a big difference too.

The Gravy: Do you make your own gravy for these recipes or is it the powdered type? I was impressed with the many kinds and types of gravy powders one can buy for chips and puddings.

The idea of making a desert out of this is very new to me. I will have to try that one day.

4th Jul, 2006 - 6:56pm / Post ID: #

Hi JB, it was an interesting point about the gravy here, at the chip shops. The Chinese chip shop gravy is very different from the English chip shop gravy, I'm not sure but I think they use a slight bit of fish stock in the Chinese variation, whereas the English variation tends to have meat stock, mostly beef or chicken.

I normally use a powdered gravy, as the particular brand I use just happens to also be gluten free, and another point to it is that you just put 4 tablespoons of powder into a jug, add boiling water and just stir, it's as simple as that, and it's very tasty.

If I was making my own from scratch, I would use corn starch/corn flour, put about 4 tablespoons into a sauce pan, stir in a bit of boiling hot water, and mix to a paste. Then you stir in meat stock or vegetable stock (water that either chicken or vegetables have been boiled in) and stir until it gets a bit thicker, then you just add a couple of drops of gravy browner (this is basically just the coloring to make the gravy look the traditional brown color) this gravy doesn't take too long to make either really, I suppose by the time I've cooked the food, the gravy is the last thing to put on, and just out of ease I use the jar variety powder.

The oil for the frying of batter that we use is just vegetable or sunflower oil.I guess we just take the Cod for granted, but we Brits would be very upset if we could no longer get hold of any!

4th Jul, 2006 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

I thought it was lard that was used for frying? I know it makes a significant difference in taste as opposed to vegetable based oils.

I miss the gravy mixtures, I have to look at ordering some as we do not really get that kind of stuff here save for very small packets.

I think a variation using jumbo shrimp might do well with the batter.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th Jul, 2006 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 4-Jul 06, 4:48 PM)

I think a variation using jumbo shrimp might do well with the batter.

I think this is the equivalent to what we call 'King Prawns'-- if this is the case, yes, they go well deep fried in the batter!
Maybe you can introduce this as a new delicacy in T& T? they might be good with the chips..

Most chippys years ago used to use lard, but these days most have changed over to the healthier option of vegetable oil, as this is also suitable for vegetarians.
This sounds awful, but the 'fat' is always better after a few uses, but you have to keep it covered in between usage so it doesn't go 'off'.
You can always tell whether the oil is old or new, as new oil turns out pale looking chips, and oil past its date turns out chips with black speckles on the chips, (any good chippy wouldn't let its oil get to this state though)

and for any future EMM's ... just ask, I know where all the chippys worth visiting in Manchester are... laugh.gif

Post Date: 5th Jan, 2008 - 4:57pm / Post ID: #

Fish Batter & Yorkshire Pudding Recipes Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

Name: Sam

Comments: Do you no the recipe for potato scallops, the one you can buy from Chippy?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Fish Batter & Yorkshire Pudding Recipes

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,