Tailgaters - Tailgating - Get Off My Bum!

Tailgaters Tailgating Bum! - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 8th Oct, 2008 - 2:43am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Drivers who like to drive very close to the rear of your car.
Post Date: 13th Mar, 2006 - 10:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

All right, so I'm sure we are all annoyed by people who, while driving, have this horrible habit of putting the front of their car inches away from the back our car. And I -know- that nobody on this site is guilty of tailgating. wink.gif

We all have our different ways of dealing with tailgaters, some more polite than others. I know for me, I have a system of how to deal with somebody who is "Riding my butt" And it starts out polite, and then tends to get a little more pointed.

I'll start off by tapping my breaks lightly, which is a more polite way to say "Hey, you're too close to me." If they do not back off, then I hit my breaks a bit more hard, but not hard enough for them to slam into the back of me. From that point, I will take one of two actions. If I'm driving a few over the speed limit, which let's face it, we all do (And yes, I mean a few, not 10 over), then I'll slow down to the speed limit. If they don't back off, then I'll drop below the speed limit. If I was already doing the speed limit, which I am most the time, then I'll slow down to below the speed limit. Not the most polite way, but by this time, I've already tried to be nice.

How do you deal with people tailing you? Do you ignore it? Do you have a system? Have you really even encountered this problem?

Sponsored Links:
15th Mar, 2006 - 7:40am / Post ID: #

Bum Off - Tailgating Tailgaters

Okay, here we go, this is one of my pet peeves. Since I learned to drive in Los Angeles, and spent a lot of years driving there, I've dealt with all types. I used to get really angry and curse them and flip them off, try to make it so they couldn't get past me if they tried, etc. (Stupid, really, considering the road rage issues in L.A.! ) And I was always in a hurry myself, in those days, couldn't wait to get where I was going and *never* tailgated because I hated it happening to me so much that I didn't want to do it to anyone else. I would always go around the slowpokes in plenty of time not to be a nuisance.

Now, I think they're kind of funny, those tailgaters. I mean, how tense can you get? What's your hurry? I tend to ignore them most of the time and just get out of their way; but occasionally, with the particularly arrogant ones who have the audacity to flash their brights at me to move over for them (Rude! Rude to the extreme! ), I will sliiiide over into the next lane ever sooooo slooooowwwlllly that when they are passing they are *frying* mad.

Not long ago, I was driving up this winding road, the speed limit is 60 and I was doing around 65 in the inside lane, when this fancy expensive car came roaring up behind me and sat on my behind for quite some time. Irritating, but there was another car in the outside lane, so that I couldn't move over. The road is too windy to go too fast, so I'm not speeding up. The car in the outside lane began to move forward just a little bit, so the fancy car moves over and rides *his* tail. Then that guy slows down, so he and I are about even -- and I saw him look over at me, so I looked and he *winked*! I laughed so hard. We kept that fancy car behind us all the way to the top of the hill, and let me tell you he was *not happy* when he finally roared past us -- on the shoulder! That was great.

17th Mar, 2006 - 2:56am / Post ID: #

Tailgaters - Tailgating - Get Off My Bum! Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I have to admit, I am a bit of a speeder, so on the highways, I am usually the one passing people. However, I don't tail gate to the point of being right on the back of another car. I will usually speed up to them, and sit a close but safe distance until they get the hint and move over. As for me dealing with other who tailgate me, I just sit tight, and play with them a bit. If it means driving slower, or speeding off, then slowing down when they catch me, then I'll usually have a bit of fun with them, until they zoom around me. Usually 10 seconds later, I am right behind them because they got stopped at a red light, and they are fuming mad at me from the rearview mirror. My wife thinks I'm going to get shot one day, but life is too short to be worried about getting somewhere 10 seconds early.

17th Sep, 2008 - 3:22pm / Post ID: #

I do not think that taunting some one who is already upset is number one in my books of safe driving folks. I am allergic to lead and baseball bats so I tend to move over but mostly like I am not going slow to start. I like speed too much.

If I am going slower then the traffic speed I move but if not then I stay put and give my self extra room up front. If all I see is "Mack" in my review I move out fast as that baby will not stop as fast as me and I am better following him.

Folks that tail gaiter is upset he is late and erratic at best do really like to find out how mad he is? Dealing with one like this is like a rabid dog get away and do not make eye contact.

If you are going to get home you have to keep a calm head and be reading where that traffic is going at every second as the blond beside you is likely text messaging her latest boyfriend and does not see you are there.

Reconcile Edited: krakyn on 17th Sep, 2008 - 6:39pm

Post Date: 17th Sep, 2008 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Tailgaters that get behind me are met with a nice prolonged slow down. If they want to go off on me that is fine but they better be prepared because I do carry. IF you want to pull a knife or gun on me you will get shot. I do not play around with these people and I am not going to go out of my way to stop for you because you want a word with me. Go ahead give me the finger I will just smile and wave. Life is way to short and I do not need these people who are in such a hurry trying to ruin it for me. Usually I will not give them the time of day. Ge ahead follow me to work. smile.gif

4th Oct, 2008 - 4:26am / Post ID: #

If a person is tailgating me, then I normally let them pass especially if the wife and child is in the car. If I am alone, especially when I am feeling mischievous, then I come right back behind you, overtake, taunt you on how slow your car is and speed off. This of course is when the road is clear, speeding in traffic is suicidal. Yes I prefer the maniacs in front of me, so if they do any nonsense I can negotiate accordingly.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Oct, 2008 - 4:59am / Post ID: #

Tailgaters Tailgating - Off Bum!

I detest tailgaters. I like to have my buffer zone around me at all times. You always have to leave yourself an out. When someone is riding my bumper I will usually ignore them at first. I drive close to the speed limit most of the time. (Except across Canada - then I fly wink.gif )If I am in the fast lane then I am going the speed limit or better. If I am going slower I drive in the slow lane. If the person behind me is persistent I will either continue to ignore them or slow way down until they get the hint and go around me. If they are totally persistent I will wait until they decide to change lanes and then I will usually speed up enough to get them stuck behind the slow guy in the other lane. What REALLY annoys me is when I am moving along at a good clip, speed limit or better, and someone comes up behind you and flashes their lights, like I am just going to move on over out of their way. I try to be considerate on the highway most of the time but when people are just pigs about it I lose my motivation to make it easy for them.

8th Oct, 2008 - 2:43am / Post ID: #

Tailgaters Tailgating - Off Bum! Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

Yeah forgot to mention that last time. If I am in the 'slow' lane (furthest left here in Trinidad) and someone comes behind me taligating, then for sure he is asking for a miracle and I for one will not give it to him/her. I have received many a curse word for the 'extreme slow down' that I give such drivers but I take it and just tell myself that it was just another idiot. If I am in the fast lane and I get tailgated, then brother you deserve to pass me because chances are I am already going pretty fast. Anyone going faster than me in that lane will be allowed to pass immediately. My general rule is if you are going faster than me, then you deserve what lies ahead of you.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Tailgaters - Tailgating - Get Off My Bum!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,