What You Say / Do Can Have A Big Effect On People

What / Big Effect People - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 28th Nov, 2003 - 8:28am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 11th Aug, 2003 - 8:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

We say and do loads of things everyday but sometimes we may not even realise how these words and actions effect the people around us.
You could make someone happy, change someone;'s view or earn someone's respect and not even know it. What you say to someone may be remembered by them in years to come when you have forgotten it the next day.
For example when I was young my mum said to me when I'm walking in the street I should always hold my head up high, be proud of who I am and not look vunerable to people who may rob you. Now everytime I'm walking down the streey I remember that, but she probably forgot she even said it to me.

So when you're talking to your friend, parent, family member, child or even a stranger, what you do may have a bigger impact than you think - so make it count  smile.gif.

Sponsored Links:
11th Aug, 2003 - 11:22pm / Post ID: #

People Effect Big Have Do You What

international QUOTE
Re: What you say/do can have a big effect on people

Yes, very true and it happens more than we know - without us knowing.

Post Date: 12th Aug, 2003 - 1:22am / Post ID: #

A Friend

What You Say / Do Can Have A Big Effect On People Health & Special Psychology

This is so true, Rob.  :)  I still remember things that my nana, my grandparents, and my parents told me when I was growing up.  I use that knowledge now.  Looking back, I should have used some of that knowledge then too.  ;)  I take their words with me and use them when the occasion arises to say to my children or my friends.

Post Date: 16th Aug, 2003 - 7:29am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Everyday we make millions of little descisions and each one of those somehowm affect someone else, people we may never even see.  Human interactions create an infinite web of probability.  Who knows what this leads to.  Every time you cut someone off or say something rude that anger is carried on.  Then, somehow, it all ends up in the Middle East where it just serves to inflame the conflict.  Therefore every single person in the world is somehow slightly responcible for what's going on there now.

That was a paraphrased joke I heard, I did not think of that myself, I just rephrased it.  I don't remember who originally wrote that (maybe Scott Adams)

Post Date: 15th Nov, 2003 - 8:27pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I have also found out that when I go out, no matter how crumby a day I'm having I do try to smile everywhere I go.  A smile goes a long way and sometimes, it can really make a difference in a person's day that you come across.  Being friendly and happy I have noticed does tend to make a better impression on the people you encounter everyday.  Like in a grocery store, gas station, or even the post office.  

27th Nov, 2003 - 3:48am / Post ID: #

Mss, we need more of those smilies here in Trinidad biggrin.gif Today I went out and I was watching the sales girl and I was like oh gosh, come on, smile a bit! It is really annoyning to go and buy something from somebody that has an attitude. MOST sales people in Trinidad are like that.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Nov, 2003 - 12:50pm / Post ID: #

What You / Do Have Big Effect People

Back in my drinking days (yes, I do actually remember part of it!) I once had a long discussion with a guy in a bar who was really on the down side of life... he was in that bar every single day! And one day we got to talking about life and dreams. He said he always expected his life to be better, and he was so disappointed with how it was going. He mentioned he wanted to improve himself and quit drinking so much. His boss wouldn't give him a promotion until he got a telephone (required to be on call for the business). Well, I got tired of his whining, and wanted him to shut up. So Miss Know-It-All-With-a-Few-Drinks told him to get up off his butt and *do it*! Quit talking about it. Do you *really* want to change your life? How serious about it are you? Find a way. Go to school, get a phone, do something other than coming down to this bar and getting drunk every stinkin day! How bad do you want it?

Well, he was angry with me and left the bar. I forgot all about the conversation, and I didn't see him again for a long time. The next time we ran into each other (at the bar!) he came over and hugged me ... and told me I had changed his life. He had been angry at first, but then he thought about it and realized he did need to make some changes. He actually did what I said. He enrolled in night school, installed a telephone, quit going to the bar except on weekends. He was saving money to move into a better apartment. He said he felt so good he couldn't believe it. And he'd got his promotion! Wow!

That was a very humbling experience. I felt like a real idiot. I had said those things to him to make him shut up and quit whining because he was annoying me with his self-pity. I didn't expect him to actually change anything (most drunks can't do anything to improve on their own...which I know from personal experience).

So, my point is, even harsh words can make a difference. Be careful what you tell people. smile.gif

Roz

Post Date: 28th Nov, 2003 - 8:28am / Post ID: #

A Friend

What You / Do Have Big Effect People Psychology Special & Health

I think that it's so easy to overlook what you've said to others.
I've noticed it more with the things I've said to my children in the past.
They always seem to remember things that I'd said & advice that I'd given them, but I usually don't remember because I probably said something to help them at the moment they needed it. To me it would have been just a helpful comment, but to them it was very important.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: What You Say / Do Can Have A Big Effect On People

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,