Utah Mormon Culture

Utah Mormon Culture - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Oct, 2009 - 4:26pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
25th Mar, 2006 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

Utah Mormon Culture

In the LDS church, you always hear about the "utah culture mormons," for example, the style where women with medium length hair rat it up so much at the top that is it tall and overy poufy on top is here called the "utah pouf." There is also the green jell-o, casseroles, etc. It is LDS member steriotypes, but seems to be mostly utah LDS stereoptypes. I have also heard LDS members say they didn't like living in Utah because they experienced "spiritual competition," where church members would tell of their spiritual experiences, and whether real or made-up, it was all a race to look the most spiritual, and really turned them off to living there anymore. I realize these are stereotypes, but if you have lived in Utah, to what extent have you experienced these things among LDS church members?

Sponsored Links:
2nd Apr, 2006 - 11:20pm / Post ID: #

Culture Mormon Utah

I have lived in Utah for over 20 years, but didn't grow up here. I agree that there is a mindset with some (not all) Utah mormons, that makes them different than LDS in other areas. This is natural because we are all, in part, a product of the environment we grow up in. A negative aspect of this mindset is that it appears some Utah Mormons don't give non-LDS the benefit of the doubt about having values, etc. An example of this is that many Utah youth think the council to choose good friends means choose LDS friends. In other areas, however, choose good friends means choose good friends. Where I grew up, there was very few LDS. I think some of the other stereotypes you mentions may be true to an extent, but funny (like the green jello). However, I've never heard of the "Utah Pouf".

2nd Apr, 2006 - 11:24pm / Post ID: #

Utah Mormon Culture Studies Doctrine Mormon

You know I once opened a Thread similar to this one and was surprised how many took offense at it (this was a couple of years ago) that I moved it to the Mature LDS Board for those who could see the deeper sense of what was being discussed. I am glad that the two posters above can engage constructively without being hostile over the issue which in my opinion is there.

3rd Apr, 2006 - 12:31am / Post ID: #

Culture Mormon Utah

I come from a huge Utah Mormon family, and while most are "normal" folks, there are some who believe that LDS folks are more perfect than any other group on earth - just ask and they will tell you so. But I love 'em anyway.

I don't think I've ever seen the Utah "pouf" laugh.gif But I've had my share of green jello and home-baked casseroles ~~ not to mention home-made root beer at every family reunion!

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 3rd Apr, 2006 - 12:34am

Post Date: 7th Apr, 2006 - 1:46am / Post ID: #

Utah Mormon Culture
A Friend

Culture Mormon Utah

I have also heard LDS members say they didn't like living in Utah because they experienced "spiritual competition," where church members would tell of their spiritual experiences, and whether real or made-up, it was all a race to look the most spiritual, and really turned them off to living there anymore.

I have lived here in Utah for over a year and I was talking to my Elders Quroum Pres. and we both agree that Utah Mormons have a tendency to look down on others more so then other's (even those who are members).

Post Date: 8th Aug, 2009 - 10:51am / Post ID: #

Utah Mormon Culture

Name: Larry

Comments: I have lived in Utah about 25 years and have lived about 28 years out of state. I there is a difference, and it is really obvious what it is, but it is politically incorrect so we are in denial about what it is. It is genetic. People in Utah have a unique heritage. Being Mormon for some people in Utah is not just a church. It is an ethnic group. Utah Mormons are a unique blend of Yankee, Brittish Islands and Scandinavians (especially Denmark). Their unique history and genetics make them unique. People outside of Utah have a different culture and often and different history and genetic background. I think the Danish heritage is really strong in Utah. Very few places in America have so much Danish influence. I would advise all people trying to figure out Utah to go to a Danish Mormon church in Sprinville or Mt. Pleasant Utah. You might actually start to understand Utah after that experience.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
30th Aug, 2009 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

Utah Mormon Culture

All depends on the area. Right now Utah has a flood of immigrants particularly hispanics who bring along their language and culture so isnt so much the Utah people remember 25/30 years ago you know what am I saying. But overall yes we have a unique culture here with the funeral potatoes and the green jello.

Post Date: 7th Oct, 2009 - 4:26pm / Post ID: #

Utah Mormon Culture
A Friend

Utah Mormon Culture Mormon Doctrine Studies

My wife and I are both transplants here to Utah. We call it bubble effect. But it really depends on what areas of Utah. It seems the higher the concentration of white LDS members the more you see this. They also tend to be the same people that buy houses in the same wards as their parents. They tend to live their life in a bubble. They only associate with other members too. It is similar to the "keeping up with the Jones" idea. But in this case it is keeping up with your fellow ward members, be it Minivans, hair styles or house trim. I will admit though I do enjoy my minivan, just hard to tell it apart from the rest of the silver Hondas in the lot.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Utah Mormon Culture

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,