Profanity Addiction

Profanity Addiction - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 22nd Feb, 2011 - 10:24pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Who Gives A @#$% About Profanity? Profain - Foul Language - Cussing - Bad Language
Post Date: 29th Mar, 2006 - 10:59am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Profanity Addiction

WHO GIVES A @#$% ABOUT PROFANITY?

This is a story about words we can't print in this story. Ref. Source

Sponsored Links:
30th Mar, 2006 - 4:45pm / Post ID: #

Addiction Profanity

It is interesting how profanity has even leaked into discussions between professionals. As an example, I work in the IT industry and assist customers with problems over the phone. I don't know how many times customers, after having felt comfortable with me on the phone, will start using profanity in normal discussion. They are not upset or anything, they just start using profanity in simple chit-chat. For the most part, I laugh it off and move on, but in other cases I have had to interject and ask that they refrain from using such language. I have also been at meetings where there are high ranking engineers and executives and profanity has been used. It really opens your eyes as to who pervasive such words have become in daily discussions.

Post Date: 30th Mar, 2006 - 5:00pm / Post ID: #

Profanity Addiction
A Friend

Profanity Addiction UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Some people can't complete a sentence without using profanities.You hear parents swearing at their children all the time,then wonder where the kids pick it up from. Everyone swears occassionaly but it does annoy me when your having a conversation with someone and they can't speak without swearing.

Post Date: 31st Mar, 2006 - 1:45am / Post ID: #

Profanity Addiction
A Friend

Addiction Profanity

Profanity is a socially driven idea. Words in themselves cannot be offensive, only how they are used. You must be taught to be offended at words and find them profane. See, when a child says a bad word that he has heard at school or in idle conversation, he must be told that it is a bad word to say. If every "bad" word was never given a second thought, and no one ever said a word was bad, then would there be any bad words? No, society teaches us what words are bad and it is completely dependant on that societies culture, morals, and tradition. If I say the "F" word in China, is it still a bad word? No one knows what it means or equates it to being a bad word, unless I were to tell them. Thus words themselves are not bad, its the way they are used and the connotation that society puts on them. Thus "hate" is not a "bad" word, but is obviously much more destructive than the "f" word or the "s" word, but most find more offense at the latter two. Why? Because society has already brain washed you by telling you what is bad to say, while letting other words that are more destructive be allowed. Any ones offense to swear words is not really due to their morals at all, but due to their social upbringing. Thus, if it was really a bad word, shouldn't it be A. offensive to everyone and B. offensive to more than just americans? But if you heard a mexican swear word, even if you just learned spanish, the word would have little to no offense and would indeed mean little to you because you never were taught growing up how bad it was. Society, not morality, determines which words are offensive and which are acceptable.
Example:

Would you be more offended if I typed in this thread:
" I hate you!"
or
"F*** you!"

One is an insult, one is much more, so which is worse?

Offtopic but,

Generally, I don't like to put stars for words because we know what they are and can be offensive, but seeing the nature of the thread, I thought it was appropriate.

31st Mar, 2006 - 3:19am / Post ID: #

Addiction Profanity

Whether words are socially categorized good or bad or not, the fact is that our language has become corrupted -- not just English, but I'm sure other countries and cultures are having the same issue.

Research a little bit on letters written home by essentially uneducated Civil War soldiers compared with language used today by people of the same age and supposedly better educated: you'll find a huge difference in the use of language from then until now. Many high school kids can't string together a useful sentence, let alone refrain from profanity.

As the article points out:

"Everybody is pretending they aren't shocked," Martin says, "and gradually people WON'T be shocked. And then those who want to be offensive will find another way."

If people could just be more careful of the language they use in general, how they use it, where and with whom they use it, I, for one, would be glad and grateful.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

21st Feb, 2011 - 11:44am / Post ID: #

Profanity Addiction

Do you think some people are addicted to using low grade language for everything? Is it an addiction or a habit that is hard to be broken?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 21st Feb, 2011 - 11:44am / Post ID: #

Profanity Addiction

Name: Krakyn

Comments: I think it is often social pressure to act a certain way turned a behavior which needs to be changed. Like any habit it is hard to change this being one that you use every day it would be deeply ingrained thus more challenging to break. Self awareness is the keep to breaking the habit.

Post Date: 22nd Feb, 2011 - 10:24pm / Post ID: #

Profanity Addiction
A Friend

Profanity Addiction Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

There are a lot more effective ways to get your point across besides profanity. Words like **t** and ***k have lost all of whatever relevance they used to have because of frequent use.

These days you have to use your imagination a lot more to try to shock people. I find that using a long and dramatic word that you are sure they won't know will do the trick just fine.

Assuming, of course, that you were using profanity for the shock value; sometimes a profane term is most therapeutic option.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Profanity Addiction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,