Blacks Losing Ground Financially

Blacks Losing Ground Financially - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 30th Mar, 2006 - 2:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Harder for African Americans?
Post Date: 29th Mar, 2006 - 11:43am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Despite a rebounding economy, African-Americans are not making progress in achieving income, net worth, employment and homeownership levels of whites, according to a National Urban League report to be released Wednesday.

Blacks have reached just 56% of the economic status of whites, a slip of 1 percentage point from last year, according to the civil rights organization's annual "The State of Black America" report.
Ref. https://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-0...s-finance_x.htm

Sponsored Links:
29th Mar, 2006 - 9:38pm / Post ID: #

Financially Ground Losing Blacks

A big part of it is us," he says. "This is not to say there isn't racism. I'm not crazy. But we do need to look at these disparities and try to identify what are the sources."

I was glad to see that Mr. Mincy lay some of the blame on African-Americans themselves. I, for one, believe that there are a lot of checks and balances as well as opportunities for blacks in the US to get a better education and eventually compete for higher paid jobs. It is also my opinion that a lot of blacks in the US still have a huge chip on their shoulders, and to this day still use events from the past as an excuse for not being treated equally. I hope this does not offend anyone, and if it does, I apologize in advance.
Again, this is my opinion, but until this "I am oppressed" attitude does not change, I don't see how blacks in the US will be able to fully utilize the opportunities that are being afforded them. Also, too many black youth are relying on professional sports as the 'way out' and not looking at educational opportunities, which are more likely to pan out, and far more available. I also blame youth counselors and educators in schools for not helping young black people by guiding them into these opportunities. A lot of reform is needed to balance the financial gains of blacks in the US, but it is my opinion that it has to start with them first.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

30th Mar, 2006 - 10:40am / Post ID: #

Blacks Losing Ground Financially History & Civil Business Politics

I'm sure your opinion has merit Malexander. But what I would like to know is do you believe African Americans and the Hispanic community have equal opportunities as the white community? Do you think that the road is harder for them, or they have to be that little bit better to get the same opporunity?

I know in Australia there is a bit of help for Aboriginies, but you still feel that in some areas it is much harder for them to suceed. And the help that they receive is often unregulated handouts, which isn't really the best way to go about it. I feel job opporunitie and education would be a better way.

I don't know what the situation is like in the US, but in Oz Aboriginies often live in atrocious conditions with little help from the Government. Some of it is literally third world, it's very sad.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

30th Mar, 2006 - 2:10pm / Post ID: #

Financially Ground Losing Blacks

But what I would like to know is do you believe African Americans and the Hispanic community have equal opportunities as the white community?

Yes, I do believe they do, and in some cases they have more. My wife is white, and I, through her, realized first hand how many educational assistance programs were available to minorities, that she didn't have access to. In fact, there weren't many programs that she qualified for, save for her being female (which is also considered a minority).
I have also spoken with HR personnel in the IT industry, and they have even admitted to giving special and extra consideration to minority applicants, even over a white one who may be better qualified. It is my opinion that the opportunities in both education and employment are there for the taking; they're just not being used to the fullest extent.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

> TOPIC: Blacks Losing Ground Financially

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,