Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st Apr, 2006 - 9:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
Joseph Smith Quotes
Why this particular man?
1st Apr, 2006 - 3:31pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith

I guess my biggest question, and please don't take this the wrong way, is "Why Joseph Smith?" Christians all believe in the teachings of Christ and the Bible. Why does the LDS church also add the teachings of Joseph Smith, while no other form of Christianity even acknowledges him as a prophet? Maybe this is the wrong topic for this discussion, I'll let someone who is more proficient in LDS teachings make that call. I would really like to know why a non-LDS person should believe anything that Joseph Smith said or wrote. Again no offense intended. Thanks!

Sponsored Links:
1st Apr, 2006 - 4:27pm / Post ID: #

Smith Joseph

There is no offense at all in this question. It is a valid and extremely important question.

His story is contained here.

Joseph Smith accepted the promise of James 1:5

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

After reading this, he went out, with full faith and expectation that he would receive an answer, and asked God a simple question. He asked which church he should join. He received an answer, when God the Father, and Jesus Christ, both appeared to him. Jesus told him to join none.

From that time forward, he received many more revelations, including angelic visitations and visions. An angel led him to the metal (gold) plates which contained the information that is now the Book of Mormon. He received special gifts from God to translate these plates into the Book of Mormon. Later, while doing this, he had a question about proper authority to perform baptisms. He, along with his friend and scribe, Oliver Cowdery, went to the banks of a nearby river and prayed about it. This was on May 15, 1829. John the Baptist appeared to them, as a resurrected being, taught them some basic principles, and conferred upon them the Priesthood of Aaron (Aaronic Priesthood), which includes the authority to baptize for the remission of sins.

Later on, Peter, James, and John came to them, and conferred upon them the higher, Melchizedek Priesthood, which includes the authority to grant the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Our scriptures include the Bible (both Old and New Testaments), the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. The Doctrine and Covenants, for example is filled with specific sections (chapters) that are clear and simple visions and revelations directly from God.

As for why we believe in the teachings of Joseph Smith, that is because he was a true Prophet of God, similar to John, Isaiah, or Moses. Through him, God has restored and clarified the principles of the Gospel, and has provided much more information about who He is, what His purpose is, and what our relationship is to Him.

Other Christian denominations shun Joseph Smith and his teachings for many reasons. One reason is that his teachings threaten them and their traditions. Another reason is that he denounced the various creeds that form the foundation of Catholicism, and through it, Protestantism. A third reason is that most don't really believe in the concept of revelation, insisting that it went away when Jesus Christ died and was resurrected.

Why should non-LDS believe in his teachings? I guess that the simple answer is that they are true. The more complex answer is that they shouldn't, but should ask God if they are true. We don't expect people to just accept the Book of Mormon, or any of his teachings out of hand. We only ask that people learn a little bit about them, read the Book of Mormon, and ask God with a real intent to learn the truth.

It is my experience, that when people do this, God answers them, confirming the truth of these things.

I hope this answers the basic questions. I would be glad to entertain more in-depth questions.

Offtopic but,
I went ahead and split this off the original topic, as we needed this topic anyway.

1st Apr, 2006 - 5:18pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith Studies Doctrine Mormon

As always, thank you for your prompt and detailed answers, Nighthawk. I am sure you can see why most people, including myself, find it difficult to believe in the Book of Mormon and the teachings of Joseph Smith. Mostly, it is because of the fact that so many teachings of LDS are so unique, with respect to what is written in the Bible. It makes it easy for those who profess that LDS teachings are true, because it is based off principles in the Bible, while it also makes it easy for those who deny the teachings of LDS, because it is not directly mentioned in the Bible.

For someone who is not LDS, it is difficult to ask them to rely on their inner feelings to believe in Joseph Smith, and the Book of Mormon. People are too impressionable these days. Many people don't believe in the Bible either, and the same kinds of arguments, can and are used to discredit its teachings.

As for why we believe in the teachings of Joseph Smith, that is because he was a true Prophet of God, similar to John, Isaiah, or Moses

To say that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, is in my opinion, ones own perspective. All the other prophets mentioned were referenced directly in the Bible. As for Joseph Smith, we can only go by what he and his friends said; there is no other reference, specifically, the Bible. Now I realize that the Bible was given to us a long time before Joseph Smith, but you can see where my disbelief stems from.

As a Christian, my belief in Jesus and the teachings of God stem ONLY from the Bible. While the teachings of Joseph Smith do directly reference the Bible, they also extend it, and that is where my skepticism comes in. Other than me, as a person, truly believing that God gave these 'extensions' to Joseph Smith, there is no other proof for lack of a better word, that I should believe in these teachings.

Why would God appoint men to write the Bible, knowing full well that later on, man would use the Bible to mislead others, and He would need to provide another Book to further explain the teachings in the Bible? Also knowing full well that skepticism would follow since now there are additional books that are not referenced in the Bible? Is there some passage in the Bible that foretells of man falling by the wayside, and needing to be redirected by another prophet, who would provide another book? Surely God would have known this would happen and speak of it?

I hope in all honesty that I didn't offend anyone by this.

1st Apr, 2006 - 6:11pm / Post ID: #

Smith Joseph

QUOTE (malexander @ 1-Apr 06, 12:18 PM)
Why would God appoint men to write the Bible, knowing full well that later on, man would use the Bible to mislead others, and He would need to provide another Book to further explain the teachings in the Bible? Also knowing full well that skepticism would follow since now there are additional books that are not referenced in the Bible? Is there some passage in the Bible that foretells of man falling by the wayside, and needing to be redirected by another prophet, who would provide another book? Surely God would have known this would happen and speak of it?

Great question. Why are there so many differing churches, philosophies, and creeds that all claim to be completely based upon the Bible? Could it be because God ALWAYS wanted there to be a living Prophet on the earth? But the people certainly didn't want prophets. In the Old Testament, we are always told about how the true prophets were killed by the people, while false prophets thrived. In the New Testament, we see that John the Beloved, an Apostle called directly by Jesus Christ, was rejected, while he was still acting in that position.
QUOTE (3 John 1:9)
I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.

QUOTE (Acts 20:29-30)
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

QUOTE (Matt. 17:11)
And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.

These are a few verses from the Bible that show that there would be an apostasy within Christianity, and that a restoration would be needed. There are many others.

Book of Mormon has an exteremely good quote that applies.
QUOTE (3 Nephi 29:3-14)
3 And because my words shall hiss forth-many of the Gentiles shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible.

4 But thus saith the Lord God: O fools, they shall have a Bible; and it shall proceed forth from the Jews, mine ancient covenant people. And what thank they the Jews for the Bible which they receive from them? Yea, what do the Gentiles mean? Do they remember the travails, and the labors, and the pains of the Jews, and their diligence unto me, in bringing forth salvation unto the Gentiles?

5 O ye Gentiles, have ye remembered the Jews, mine ancient covenant people? Nay; but ye have cursed them, and have hated them, and have not sought to recover them. But behold, I will return all these things upon your own heads; for I the Lord have not forgotten my people.

6 Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews?

7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?

8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.

9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.

10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.

11 For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.

12 For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it.

13 And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews.

14 And it shall come to pass that my people, which are of the house of Israel, shall be gathered home unto the lands of their possessions; and my word also shall be gathered in one. And I will show unto them that fight against my word and against my people, who are of the house of Israel, that I am God, and that I covenanted with Abraham that I would remember his seed forever.

This is where I see most people in Christianity. They have a Bible, and claim that God's words have therefore ceased, and they are under no obligation to find out if He does have more information for them.

Joseph Smith's teachings, if heeded, could resolve all the conflicts within Christianity. The Book of Mormon clarifies many teachings that are disputed within the Bible. It also clearly identifies exactly what Jesus says the Gospel exactly is.

God knew what would happen. It is all included in His Plan of Happiness. He provided a Prophet to lead us in the Last Days, just as He provided Moses to lead the childen of Israel out of Egypt, Isaiah to provide answers concerning the Last Days, John the Baptist to prepare the way for Jesus' mission, and John the Beloved to give us the book of Revelation.

All He asks of us is to ask Him whether or not this is true. Most people are not willing to do that simple thing, because they think their ministers and teachers are far too wise for God to not be with them in all things.

1st Apr, 2006 - 8:26pm / Post ID: #

Smith Joseph

29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them

For the sake of discussion, couldn't this be used in the argument against Joseph Smith as well? From a non-LDS perspective, someone could potentially say that Joseph Smith is one of these men that is drawing away disciples. I wouldn't go that far to say that myself, but I'm just presenting it as a possible argument.

The scriptures that were posted again were from the Book of Mormon, so really unless you already believe in the teachings of LDS, you wouldn't necessarily believe these scriptures. I can understand the argument of apostasy, and I believe that there is a lot of bickering between different sects of Christianity, but none of them save LDS claim a living prophet after Jesus Christ, and this is where my main skepticism lies.

1st Apr, 2006 - 8:46pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith

Of course those scriptures can be, and frequently ARE used against Joseph Smith.

The point of the scriptures from the Book of Mormon is that people need to carefully consider WHY they object to the Book of Mormon. Most people object BECAUSE they have the Bible, and they claim that since they have the Bible, there could not possibly be any more scripture come from God. The problem with that argument, as well as the argument that none of the other Christian sects have living prophets is that the Bible does not say, anywhere, that the canon of scripture would ever be closed, or that God would cease to call Prophets to teach the people.

In fact, Amos 3:7, the Bible says:

7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

In the Last Days, will not God be doing many, many things? Won't He be changing nations, allowing massive devastation, all of the other things prophesied in Isaiah and Revelation? So, where are the prophets that God says he will reveal His secrets to? They aren't in Catholicism or Protestantism.

As I said before, the only thing we ask is for people to sincerely ask God if Joseph Smith was a true Prophet.

For myself, I have asked, and received an answer. I know for certain that Joseph Smith was a true Prophet, and that his teachings are what God wants us to know and do today to prepare for Christ's return.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Apr, 2006 - 8:53pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith

I have shared my testimony with people from all over the world and from many religions and one thing is sure... to accept anything as far as LDS Doctrine goes, one must first know if Joseph Smith did in fact see God the Father and Jesus Christ, and that he did receive the plates that were translated as the Book of Mormon. Once those things are known by the individual through prayer study and a manifestation of the spirit - then and only then can Joseph Smith be seen as a prophet and not just another religious zealot with an idea.

From personal experience, study and prayer, and as you will well know, I am one for both intellectual and constructive discussion that has as a back bone: proof... having these things, I can witness to you that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, called to restore the fallen Church and bring back the lost Doctrines that cause many to wander in these last days. I can also testify that we do have a living Prophet in these days, God has not forgotten us, nor has he become less miraculous, but has called a man to be his mouth piece, we no longer have to wander to and fro, but we can find solace in the words of living prophets just as we can find peace in the words of the dead Prophets.

1st Apr, 2006 - 9:14pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith Mormon Doctrine Studies

Are there any historical records of Joseph Smith, the man, other than the ones he and his friends wrote? Do we have accounts from outsiders on who Joseph Smith was, and his beginnings in the LDS church?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Joseph Smith

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,