Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
  Sikhism,Sikhs
Post Date: 4th Apr, 2004 - 8:54pm / Post ID: #

Sikhism - Sikhs

Sikhism - Sikhs

Let us study the religion of:

Sikhism

A progressive religion well ahead of its time when it was founded over 500 years ago, The Sikh religion today has a following of over 20 million people worldwide and is ranked as the worlds 5th largest religion. Sikhism preaches a message of devotion and remembrance of God at all times, truthful living, equality of mankind and denounces superstitions and blind rituals. Sikhism is open to all through the teachings of its 10 Gurus enshrined in the Sikh Holy Book and Living Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Ref. Source 9

Most notable in this religion are the use of dagger and turban. There are secret rites and codes of honor that are followed. How familiar are you with this system of belief?

Image from Wikimedia public domain.

Sikhism - Sikhs
Sikhism - Sikhs (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
14th Nov, 2004 - 9:17am / Post ID: #

Sikhs Sikhism

As a missionary in Australia, I met many Sikhs. In general, I found that they treated me in a more Christian manner than many who called themselves Christians. The strictness of their lifestyle seems to express and motivate a deeper faith in God than some contemporary religious movements that increasingly tolerate any sin. From my conversations with these Punjabi friends, I now understand the historical background of the religion and their rationale for many customs. Their attitudes toward God are quite compatible with the doctrines of the Restoration. I now miss my time with them.

14th Nov, 2004 - 5:13pm / Post ID: #

Sikhism - Sikhs Religions East of Studies

Is it true that they keep a snake dagger on person at all times or is that just for special purposes?

14th Nov, 2004 - 9:03pm / Post ID: #

Sikhs Sikhism

Some of the Sikhs I met did carry daggers, but some didn't. In a country that has such strong western influences, many people of Eastern religions adapt their practices to fit social norms. Some of my Sikh acquaintances were strict vegetarians, while I enjoyed eating meat pizzas with others. One or two cut their hair and decided not to wear turbans. One was baptized into the Church. Every religion I have encountered has varying degrees of strictness in religious observance.

Post Date: 27th Oct, 2005 - 1:20pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Sikhs Sikhism

SIKH STUDENT BANNED FROM TRAIN FOR WEARING KIRPAN

A Sikh man is considering taking Via Rail to the Ontario Human Rights Commission because the Crown corporation won't let him wear his ceremonial dagger on its trains.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...-via051026.html

11th Apr, 2006 - 12:34pm / Post ID: #

Sikhism - Sikhs

I want to start a discussion and information resource on Sikhism. I was asked by a fellow member more about this fascinating Indian religion.

My mother is Sikh so I learnt a bit about it when I was growing up. I have visited all the major Sikh temples in Punjab, north India, the place of origin for this religion.

Sikhism began in the mid 15th century with Guru Nanak Dev, who is like a prophet. Sikhism has 10 Gurus who were spiritual leaders/prophets in succession. An eleventh Guru is the holy book, the Guru Granth Sahib.

It is perhaps the only scripture of its kind, in that it was written by the founders of the religion directly, whereas most other religious texts have been written after the time of the original founder of the religion.

Sikhism advocates the belief of one God who has infinite qualities. This aspect has been repeated on numerous occasions in the Guru Granth Sahib (holy book) and the term Ek Onkar, which literally translates to "one creator".

Sikhs do not have a gender for God nor do they believe God takes a human form. All human beings are considered equal regardless of their religion, sex or race. Sikhs should defend, safeguard, and fight for the rights of all creatures, and in particular fellow human beings. They are encouraged to have a "Chardi Kala" or positive, optimistic and buoyant view of life.

Sikhs believe in the concept of reincarnation, although to be honest I did not know this until I recently researched this.

The Sikh religion is not considered the only way to salvation - people of other religions may also achieve salvation.

It is every Sikh's duty to defeat these five vices or Five evils:
Homai (ego), Krodh (anger or Rage), Lobh (greed), Moh (attachment) and Kam (lust).

Sikhs are encouraged to 'attack' these vices with five virtues: contentment, charity, kindness, positive attitude and humility.

Sikhs believe in these values:

Equality: All humans are equal before God.
God's spirit: All creatures have God's spirits and must be properly respected.
Personal right: Every person has a right to life.
Actions count: Salvation is obtained by one's actions, including good deeds, remembrance of God, etc.
Living a family life: Encouraged to live as a family unit to provide and nurture children.
Sharing: It is written in scripture that Sikhs must give a minimum of 10 percent of their earnings as well as 10 percent of their life to the service of helping others and in the service of God.
Accept God's will: Develop your personality so that you recognize happy events and miserable events as one.
The four fruits of life: Truth, contentment, contemplation and Naam, (in the name of God).

Sikhs don't believe in superstitions, worship of idols, material obsession, sacrifice of humans (sati - a Hindu practice), intoxication and prejudice to name a few. They are very family orientated people and a Sikh must ALWAYS welcome a stranger into their home.

In fact if you visit any Sikh temple they will house you and feed you for as long as you desire if you are respectful to their customs.

Sikh men are quite distinct as they wear large bright turbans. The women wear colourful Punjabi costumes with a head covering. Sikh's must cover their hair at all times. They are forbidden to cut their hair and will grow it and tie it in the turban. They also carry a religious knife everywhere, which I think is a throwback to their origins of being brave warriors.

Sikh's are known in India as very fierce warriors and led many struggles against the Muslims in their early history.

Anyway here is a few quick resources I dug up on the net, I hope it is useful.

Sikhism Home Page

Another Sikhism resource

Wikipedia on Sikhism

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd May, 2006 - 12:11am / Post ID: #

Sikhism Sikhs

Are there converts to the Sikh religion? If so, how do they go about joining it? What are the requirements, and what, if any, ceremony is involved?

22nd May, 2006 - 4:14am / Post ID: #

Sikhism Sikhs Studies of East Religions

There are converts to Sikhism. I have met quite a few Western converts but do not know any personally.

My understanding is that to be a true follower of Sikhism you should take Amrit, which is like a baptism. This can be done at any age. This ceremony involves drinking holy water.

Afterwards, you are expected to not cut your hair and follow the other customs that define Sikhism.

These include, to not consume any alcohol or drugs and eat meat, however almost every Sikh I have met eats meat. Sikhs are to meditate to one God only and never idol worship.

The Amrit bearer has five symbols or articles of faith, which he or she is always to keep with them. These five symbols are Hair (covered), Comb, Steel bracelet, under shorts and a small sword. The sword must never be used for attack, but only in the event of self defence.

As with all religions, there are Sikhs who strictly follow the religion, and those who don't.

There are no real requirements to be Sikh. The religion is open to anyone. Sikh's are not allowed to preach or try to convert others into the religion.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Sikhism - Sikhs

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,