Windows File Name Too Long

Windows File Long - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 27th Aug, 2013 - 4:06pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Cannot delete a file because Windows complains that the file name is too long.
27th Aug, 2013 - 4:06pm / Post ID: #

I recently downloaded some files from a server, for a client, that was providing an erroneous size number. I was downloading them to a specific mounted drive, not the system drive. When I looked at the files they seemed to be irrecoverable, had mad symbols instead of alpha characters and was causing problems on my system - in other words they were already corrupted.

My next obvious step was to delete them but Windows kept giving me the error message that the file names were too long. I then used Unlocker and forced delete but it failed the program. Then I tried ASC shredder and although it said it had successfully deleted the files they were still there!

I then tried to do a repair disk and then the worst case scenario happened - my entire system crashed and it started to corrupt my drive! I restarted twice and ran CHKDSK both times. Then I decided to do something that may help you if you have the same problem:

1. Hit START button and enter in the Search field: CMD.
2. Switch to the drive or directory that is the problem and run the following:
3. CHKDSK /F (Drive letter or file location)

The /F is what fixes it. In the process you will be asked if to convert the irrecoverable data into a file - choose yes by typing "Y" And press ENTER.

Now you can go back and delete it.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: Tue May 21 18:48:36 GMT 2024 / Post ID: #

Add Comment
Looking for more on windows file name too long it should be investigated fast for our hopefully get what are the ins and outs of it.

> TOPIC: Windows File Name Too Long

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,