Meta Tags & SEO - The Same?

Meta Tags Seo Same - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 23rd May, 2015 - 10:27pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 23rd May, 2015 - 3:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I am trying to understand this, but I think I might be in over my head. I was using the Meta Keywords, not realizing that it seems to have a very low importance in search engines.

Is Meta Tags and SEO the same thing? I have seen programs that work with SMF. My question is what would be best for me to use and is this something I should do or hire someone else to do it for me. I would like the forum to raise on the searches, but at this point it seems to be stuck on the second page. I already have a person who does the modifications for me, so I am not looking for someone to hire. I did search and read posts concerning this but were so outdated that I decided to make my own post concerning this.

Currently running SMF 2.0.10

Thank you, Jim

Sponsored Links:
23rd May, 2015 - 6:54pm / Post ID: #

Same - SEO and Tags Meta

international QUOTE
I was using the Meta Keywords, not realizing that it seems to have a very low importance in search engines.

Not really, there is a lot of hype out there and then there is the truth. Meta tags are VERY important. Abuse or under use of meta tags is where the problem begins.

international QUOTE (Jotto)
Is Meta Tags and SEO the same thing?

No, one leads to the other, here is the break down:
SEO = Search Engine Optimization
Meta tags = Tools that lead to SEO

Therefore, you use meta tags to better help tell search engines about your site.

international QUOTE
I did search and read posts concerning this but were so outdated that I decided to make my own post concerning this.

We actually do not consider any thread here out dated. Usually the information evolves or resolves to something else but each thread has its merit. For instance nothing has ever changed about meta tags. The difference between a decade ago and now is simply people abusing them to the point that search engines MAY view it differently, but not always. You see it all depends on how your site is rated. For instance Google will read meta tags differently than let's say Yahoo or Bing.

international QUOTE
My question is what would be best for me to use and is this something I should do or hire someone else to do it for me.

This depends on your knowledge of meta tags. Simply, each page of content on your site should be well described by each meta tag and not try to 'con' the search engine into seeing something that is not the page's content. Redundancy of meta tags is also a problem. Have you edited or manipulated meta tags before?

Post Date: 23rd May, 2015 - 7:23pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Meta Tags & SEO - The Same? Gaming Video & Issues Computer

No I haven't tried to change anything on them at this point. I have looked at them at the site admin area and also on cpanel. SMF is a great for me, I do read about the different settings to try and make sure I am setting it up right but as of now I think there is still much for me to learn.

I am very hesitant on changing anything in the html area. I believe the only way to make these changes are from cpanel. I have read about the type of changes that I need to make but also that there seems to be some differences between my site and others out there. I did have my site analyzed and it seems to have a few problems.

international QUOTE
Meta tags analysis.
Title: Title meta tag contains no errors.
This tag contains 8 characters.

*Not quite sure what this is.

international QUOTE
Title relevancy to page content is excellent.
The Title relevancy to page content is 100%.

*Seems that is good.

international QUOTE
Description: Found no description meta tag.
The description meta tag is used by most of the search engines. Consider to add a description meta tag.

*I know where this is in the file, but not quite sure how to change it at this time.

international QUOTE
Keywords: Found no keywords meta tag.
The keyword meta tag is still used by some search engines. Consider to add a keyword meta tag.

*I have key words under meta in the forum admin area. I want to make sure that I get it correct and not abuse it.

international QUOTE
Robots: Found no robots meta tag.
This tag is not really required but helps spiders to index the web page.

*Know where it is but again hesitant on changing it.

international QUOTE
Author: Found no author meta tag.
This tag is not really required but helps for your (Company) name recognizing.

*Not sure about this one since it isn't a company and not planning on making money using this site.

international QUOTE
Web page analysis.
The web page contain poison keywords.
The word(S) 'forum' are poison keywords.

*This is a bit confusing since what I have is a forum.

international QUOTE
This page contains too many URLs.
This web page contains 135 urls. Some Search Engines have problems with more than 100 urls on a page.

*I tried removing some of the urls, but it never made a change in the count.

international QUOTE
The size of the web page.
The size of the web page is 41006 bytes.
The web page load time.
The web page load time is 1 seconds.

*This seems alright.

international QUOTE
Your site displayed on a search engine page.
No Title

*Not quite sure how to correct this problem.

Thank you for your response.

Jim

Edited Message Edited...
JB: Please use the quote tags so its easier to see your words from words copied from elsewhere.

23rd May, 2015 - 7:48pm / Post ID: #

Same - SEO and Tags Meta

SMF provides you with the basic meta tags and that's all you need. I have not studied SMF's meta tags entirely to see if they customize it based on pages.

I'm going to verify this now with my own SMF test site:
As it turns out SMF gets the title and description from your topic title. The keywords come from what you put in SMF admin. While this is not the best solution its a start.

The ideal will be to have a unique description about 140 characters long of the page that is different than the title. The keywords, where possible should also compliment content. For instance, if you have a topic about apples and your keywords is "Oranges" Then it won't add up.

My fist tip would be to see if SMF has a Mod that improves this area, have you checked?

Main point: if you are specifically looking for traffic from Google then there are three main things that you will have to concentrate on based on Google's current algorithm:

1. Updated content
2. Mobile responsive site
3. Relevant sites link to you

Those 3 things is what increases Google perception of your site and there can be depth of discussion on each as well.

Post Date: 23rd May, 2015 - 9:16pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Same - SEO and Tags Meta

Yes there are mods on SMF concerning this. I have installed Optimus Brave. There are a few others but I choose this one. If it doesn't do what I like there is also a mod that you can pay for.

I am currently reading to see what needs to be done. Not so sure I feel brave right now. I will spend some time with it and see if I can improve the site on getting new visitors. Every time a article comes out there is a spike in visitors and I would like to gain readers when that happens.

23rd May, 2015 - 10:13pm / Post ID: #

I just checked Optimus Brave and that should do it for you as far as Meta Tags.

After you have set it up properly the next test is to see how Google passes your site as far as being mobile responsive. Test your site here: Source 4z

If you have a Gmail account you may also want to register your domain with Google's Webmaster Tools. In there Google will analyze your site and tell you what it doesn't like: Source 1p

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 23rd May, 2015 - 10:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Meta Tags & SEO - Same

Slowly it has been improving. I still have a few areas to work on, but those are not going to be very easy for me, has to do with the spiders.

Author and urls still need correcting and I think I am done.

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Reconcile Edited: Jotto on 23rd May, 2015 - 10:20pm

23rd May, 2015 - 10:27pm / Post ID: #

Meta Tags & SEO - Same Computer Issues & Video Gaming

No problem. The big challenge is having notable sites link to your content. This is Google's way of deciding how important your site is for the searcher. In my opinion it discounts the fact that sites with better content or more specific content may not get linked to by a notable site. This has caused many researchers and myself included to no longer rely on Google for results.

I do find myself looking on Bing, Yahoo and others as well, but that is a whole other Topic. I am just pinpointing this because Google is not the only place you can get traffic from.

Should you ever need my paid services outside of this feel free to let me know but I'm always willing to freely help here as well.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Meta Tags & SEO - The Same?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,