Handicapped Parking For Expecting Mothers

Handicapped Parking Expecting Mothers - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 16th Apr, 2006 - 8:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 16th Apr, 2006 - 11:37am / Post ID: #

A Friend

We have all seen healthy people park in a handicapped parking spaces, because they are too lazy to walk to a store entrance. How do you feel if they made it legal for expecting mothers to park in handicapped parking spaces. I believe they are trying to pass this law now. What are your thoughts ?

Sponsored Links:
16th Apr, 2006 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

Mothers Expecting Parking Handicapped

I believe that the concept behind this is very good but how do you really enforce this? If you give expecting mothers a windows tag / sticker then there are going to be so many of them in circulation that it will be very simple to find one for anybody to use. Then I have the argument, is two weeks pregnant able to park there? They are not showing at all by this point yet they are expecting. What about a month? Three months? And if a six month along woman is parked there and another lady pulls in and can't get the space she expected because of it, (The second woman is having problems carrying her baby.) then it has already done her no good. As with the handicap spaces now as they are already being abused this is nearly giving a false hope to someone who might not even be going out to begin with.

*This is a great concept, but I do not see it working as everyone would want.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 7 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.7%

16th Apr, 2006 - 5:15pm / Post ID: #

Handicapped Parking For Expecting Mothers History & Civil Business Politics

A lot of stores already implement something like this, but as a courtesy, and it is not enforced. Our local Wal-Mart has parking spots for 'Mothers to Be' but very often you see men parking there with no pregnant woman by their side. Just the other day I yelled out to this fellow who parked in one of those spots and ran into the store. I said "How far along are you?" and of course he didn't take that too well. With handicapped spots, you have to have that decal in your posession or else its a ticket. But with pregnant women, it will be a bit more difficult to enforce, and there are a lot more pregnant women out there than handicapped folks.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

16th Apr, 2006 - 7:10pm / Post ID: #

While all of your logic makes sense and I can see what you mean about it being hard to enforce... Still it would be nice biggrin.gif . Perhaps they could do it where you'd have to get the sticker from your doctor after the first trimester or something, and it has an expiration date written on it? Even if it couldn't be enforced, it is a nice thought in my opinion.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 0 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0%

16th Apr, 2006 - 7:25pm / Post ID: #

Imagine this situation:

A single woman becomes pregnant, and decides not to tell anyone, not even the father. At this time, there is a law that says a pregnant woman must be provided with designated parking. She decides not to get the required sticker/decal, etc but parks in one of these spots anyway. She receives a ticket. She goes to court and claim that it is unconstitutional for her to publicly display the fact that she is pregnant, and that she has just as much right to the parking spot as another pregnant woman who got the sticker/decal. See how complicated this could become?

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

16th Apr, 2006 - 8:00pm / Post ID: #

Hmm. Well, couldn't the court could just say that no one knows she has the right to the spot unless she tells them? and if the decal was not allowed, there's no way she'll ever get the spot anyway because there will be no way to keep the non-pregnant from parking there. What is the difference between publicly displaying that you are pregnant, and publicly displaying the fact that you are handicapped? How about this - both pregnant and handicapped people have the same decal, that way it is equal and if the complaining future mother doesn't want to tell anyone, she can just say that she hurt her foot.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 0 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Apr, 2006 - 8:23pm / Post ID: #

Handicapped Parking Expecting Mothers

What is the difference between publicly displaying that you are pregnant, and publicly displaying the fact that you are handicapped?

There are lot more debatable and sensitive issues surrouding pregnancy than being handicapped. For someone who is in a loving relationship, yes, letting everyone know they are pregnant is not an issue, but for many, this is not true. I know it may sound like I am being picky, but our society is so hell-bent on privacy and individual rights, that I am sure something like this or similar would come into play. I just wanted to put it out there as a what-if scenario.

16th Apr, 2006 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

Handicapped Parking Expecting Mothers Politics Business Civil & History

QUOTE (malexander @ 16-Apr 06, 3:23 PM)

I know it may sound like I am being picky, but our society is so hell-bent on privacy and individual rights, that I am sure something like this or similar would come into play.

I am sure you are right, that there would be issues that would arise. You are not being picky you are being realistic. But it is interesting to discuss the possibility, and you didn't respond to my response to your what-if scenario! (if you could follow that last sentance wink.gif )

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Handicapped Parking For Expecting Mothers

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,