Native American Or American Indian? - Page 3 of 5

I know that the natives in my area prefer - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 28th Aug, 2009 - 3:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Which term should be used?
29th Jan, 2008 - 1:05am / Post ID: #

Native American Or American Indian? - Page 3

When you say 'the pictures' you mean the man and woman at the very top? I thought it was beautiful. If it is this what would be more acceptable?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 29th Jan, 2008 - 2:58am / Post ID: #

Native American Or American Indian?
A Friend

Indian American American Native

Yes, that's the one I'm talking about, and the one in the text box when you post. I also think the picture is very pretty, but we have to admit it is a very stylistic and beautified approach to American Indians. These stylistic approaches to our people are also things that the New Age fakers are known for, and that therefore makes them insulting to some natives. So while I think the pictures are pretty, and do not personally have a huge problem with them, others would. They would probably be more drawn to the place if you used traditional American Indian symbols of the various tribes rather than stylistic paintings. I also think photos of real, live American Indians would be great and educational for the members. I do not want to be responsible for changing your entire website around, and the decision is up to you. But if you would like some suggestions for this type of thing, I may be able to find some stuff for you.

Reconcile Edited: Kamama on 29th Jan, 2008 - 3:00am

29th Jan, 2008 - 3:05am / Post ID: #

Native American Or American Indian? History & Civil Business Politics

Well, this is a learning experience for me and I am very appreciative of your help as I want this Board to be geared towards being a welcoming setting for the people of the American Indian Nations, so I am most open to name and picture changes.

Rather off topic, but...
Please send links to the pictures via my Contact Page as link posting is not allowed here save for source material. Much appreciated!

UPDATE: I used one of my own photographs of a Powwow I attended some years ago in Baltimore. These good people were kind enough to allow me a photograph of them in traditional clothing.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 29th Jan, 2008 - 10:27pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 3 Indian American American Native

Oooooo, I love it! So nice! I think it better shows us as we are now. Great job with the banner, it looks great.

30th Jan, 2008 - 1:05am / Post ID: #

Indian American American Native

Well I appreciate all the help I got from you. My aim is to make here a resourceful site and not one to put down or offend. As per the Topic it seems that we have reached the 'better' name as well: American Indian Nations.

18th Aug, 2009 - 7:55pm / Post ID: #

When I am explaining my race to someone I tend to say "Native American" but also "indigenous" and if a person is still looking at me confused I will say "American Indian". No we are not from India, but I have heard natives were called Indian as a positive term originating from "En dio" meaning "in God". I would still prefer to say "Native American, indigenous".

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 5 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.5%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Aug, 2009 - 11:12am / Post ID: #

Native American American Indian - Page 3

I must admit indigenous is perhaps the most accurate for any thing animal plant or human that is originally from a specific area. Only problem is most people are likely to be unsure of the meaning of the word.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 28th Aug, 2009 - 3:00pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Native American American Indian Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

I know that the natives in my area prefer Native Americans. I know I call them native americans after all we are now all americans they were just here first.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Native American Or American Indian?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,