Imaginary Audience And Personal Fable

Imaginary Audience Personal Fable - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 13th Jan, 2013 - 12:34am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 4th May, 2006 - 4:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

These two psychological mind sets are very closely related to one another, hence their being in the same thread.

The imaginary audience is a false belief that others are intensely interested in our appearance and/or behavior as we are. People who entertain an imaginary audience tend to fantasize how a group of people will react to their appearance or the way they act.

Personal fables are beliefs that a person will be destined to live a heroic or legendary life. People who entertain personal fables often see themselves making a huge stand out in society, be it because of a talent, skill, or service. This can also lead to an imaginary audience.

Do you ever, even if it is something trivial, entertain an imaginary audience or indulge in personal fables? I think it's perfectly normal to a degree. Anytime any of us do something we think is amazing, I am sure we all dream up some reaction from a group of people.

Of course, some people take it to an unhealthy level and become completely absorbed in their imaginary audience and personal fables.

Sponsored Links:
4th May, 2006 - 10:01pm / Post ID: #

Fable Personal Audience Imaginary

Yes, I guess that I have, and do participate in both of these things. I think that imagining these types of situations may be a way of seeking after greater accomplishments. I am a real daydreamer, and have been all of my life. I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, including some alternate history. Because of the many varied types of situations that are included in these types of stories, I frequently daydream about how I would fit into such stories.

For example, what would it be like to be an elf, working with Gandalf and Aragorn in defense of Middle Earth? What if I were a low ranking officer in the Manticoran Navy, assigned to Grayson (the Honor Harrington books)? How would I act if I were able to be a Lensman?

I have also frequently imagined myself with great martial arts knowledge, protecting other people, vanquishing evil forces.

These are all idle daydreams. But, just like the books and movies that I like, they focus my mind on protecting the weak and overcoming evil.

Maybe I am weird. I don't know. But I think that these types of imaginations are harmless at worst, and helpful at best.

4th May, 2006 - 10:02pm / Post ID: #

Imaginary Audience And Personal Fable Health & Special Psychology

I agree this is normal within limits. We all want to be loved, so to speak. I think I'm more inclined to entertain an imaginary audience, rather than indulge in personal fables. My imaginary audience is usually a single person, not a specific person but someone who I admire or respect in their opinion. I imagine myself doing something or saying something that will earn their admiration and respect in return.

4th May, 2006 - 10:43pm / Post ID: #

I have been more apt to indulge in personal fables myself. Most of my life I was lacking physically, so much so that I did not participate in many sports. My fable was to be endowed with the greatest athletic abilities possible, and compete in every sport imaginable. I still have such fables, even today.
As for imaginary audiences, I have sometimes had these when I had a big meeting or presentation coming up. I would imagine myself delivering a flawless presentation, or presenting ideas that everyone agreed with. I think this is healthy though because it helps with ones confidence going into something like that.

Post Date: 13th May, 2009 - 10:10am / Post ID: #

Name: Michele

Comments: Very interesting, I am doing an essay for this subject. Specifically egocentric thought as an adolescent. Then going into specifics, say, if it be the personal fable, or imaginary audience, etc. Many of my memories intertwine the two. I am happy to see that adults doing this as a sort of daydreaming is normal, I have never fully outgrown it. I do gravitate more toward the personal fable, though, and find myself twining my life with narrative movies that are especially good at their storytelling, or in memoir reading.

6th Aug, 2010 - 5:27pm / Post ID: #

international QUOTE
The imaginary audience is a false belief that others are intensely interested in our appearance and/or behavior as we are.

All of Hollywood is like this but there are a couple of girls I remember from high school that could fit this description too.

international QUOTE
Do you ever, even if it is something trivial, entertain an imaginary audience or indulge in personal fables?

Not now but as a teen I used to indulge in this a lot. Since then I've become more wise to what is reality and what isn't.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Jan, 2013 - 12:34am / Post ID: #

Imaginary Audience Personal Fable

You can use imaginative settings to both your advantage and disadvantage. Personal stories enable you to develop a side that could probably only come out if there were some 'additions' to it. For instance saying how well you did something and that it mesmerized 'x' person could help you have a better attitude towards that person.

> TOPIC: Imaginary Audience And Personal Fable

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,