Christianity And Environmentalism

Christianity Environmentalism - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 2nd Oct, 2008 - 10:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 5th May, 2006 - 5:39am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Environmentalism -
Advocacy for or work toward protecting the natural environment from destruction or pollution.

And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth."
Genesis 1:28

Dominion -
1. Control or the exercise of control; sovereignty:
2. A territory or sphere of influence or control; a realm.

So here is my question to everyone that considers the Bible to be the word of God.

How can you believe the Bible and not be an environmentalist?

Man was given dominion over all of the earths animals, that means we as humanity are responsible for them, and than includes their environment. That is to say the air they breath, the water they drink, the plants they eat. Protecting the environment is essential for every living creature including humans, but I have to be honest, I rarely meet any christian that gives a lick about the environment. The most common excuse I hear is that God will come back soon and a new heaven and a new earth will be created. Which brings me second question.

Do you think God would be ok with that excuse noting the way we treat this planet and the lack of regard we give it?

And my third question relating directly to Genesis 1:28.

If we are given dominion over every animal, then why aren't we trying harder to prevent animal extinction, they are our responsibility, not just the animal rights activists most call crazies? Why are people who try to protect the way animals are treated considered over the top? We are, after all, to look over them as a king and his subjects, by very definition.

Sponsored Links:
5th May, 2006 - 11:04pm / Post ID: #

Environmentalism Christianity

You make a good point, Konq, but I don't believe that most Christians are unsympathetic to the environment. It is one thing to not plunder the earth and its resources, while completely another to take environmentalism to an extreme. The environmentalists that you refer to are the ones who, I believe, take the subject of protecting the environment to such extremes, that it makes living on the earth almost impossible. God also gave us the ability to use the animals for food, but the extremist environmentalist will make us believe that we cannot, at any costs, use animals for anything. As Christians, yes, I believe it is our duty to protect the planet and care for it, the same way we protect and care for our own bodies. However, I cannot agree with extreme organizations such as PETA when they leave no room for using animals for food, etc.

6th May, 2006 - 1:40pm / Post ID: #

Christianity And Environmentalism Beliefs Religious General

Another point that I would like to make about Christianity and environmentalism is that most of the environmentalists that I know of will gladly sacrifice the lives and health of humans to the "salvation" of the environment.

Take a look at the work and philosophies of conservationists. True conservationists work to save forests, including the rain forests. They work hard to maintain wildlife populations, desert landscapes, mountainous regions, national parks, etc. Many, many Christians are also conservationists. However, they also sponsor common sense logging operations, the removal of dead falls, controlled harvesting of wildlife and lumber, planting of new trees, nurturing of truly endangered species.

But, since they tend to be conservative, they are (literally) spat upon by the environmentalists. They will look at the whole situation and try to come up with a valid way to meet all the needs. Conservationists will not simply make a decision to turn a large, prosperous, truly bountiful valley in Oregon into a dust bowl, in order to (arguably) help a single breed of salmon. To conservationists, a boy is NOT a dog, is NOT a rat, is NOT a plant. To them, humans are the stewards of God's creations, not the lowest of them.

Over the last 4 decades, environmentalists have used terror, laws, courts, and the press to vilify conservationists, Christians, and conservatives. There is so much difference between the philosophy of conservationism and environmentalism, yet few will discuss these difference. And, since conservationist are so well vilified by the left, they are frequently just lumped into the general hatred for Christians and conservatives, without listening to their messages of hope and success.

Conservationists created Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite and Redwood. Environmentalists stole land from the state of Utah to make the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument (by presidential decree, without action of Congress).

This shows the biggest difference between the two schools of thought. Conservationists properly use the rule of law to make changes and to protect things. Environmentalists, knowing that their proposals are not really popular, use activist judges, sympathetic presidents and governors, and refuse to allow the citizens to have any say in what happens.

So, which do you think Christians should deal with? The one that cherishes humans and uses the law the way the Constitution allows, or the one that denigrates humanity, and works around the Constitution to get its way?

Post Date: 7th May, 2006 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I am really happy that at least two christians were willing to give their views on this. Both of your posts really help me understand where you are coming from. I am seeing that it is not actual environmentalism that is turning you off, but people who take it to an extreme. Groups like PETA go very much to the extreme and would be considered the minority amongst most people who consider themselves to be environmentalists. Much like people who blow up abortion clinics and march in protests with 'God hates fags!' banners do not represent the whole of the pro-life movement, PETA and others willing to sacrifice everything including themselves to not represent the whole of the environmentalist movement.

Having the ability to see through your eyes, I can see how what is put on the news all the time would necessarily turn off christians to the environmentalist movement. Its unfair of the media to portray everyone that way, but we all know that the media rarely fairly represents any group. The true environmentalist movement pushes towards recycling, forcing companies to develop cleaner air policies, and protect animals from extinction due to corporate pollution and land over development. All of these things can be done with little REAL impact to the average person. But the media portrays it differently. Such is the case with land development. The majority of land development is protested because there is an equally good site available that will not cause the problems that are being presented. When you have two equally good sites for a project, and one of them will eliminate one of the few places an animal can live, why not take the other? In the end, everyone would win that way and another species would be protect, which is good since all of them effect our eco-system. Again though, what you see is much different on the news.

This makes me wonder if perhaps christians are turned off automatically now due to the mass over exposure of bad press. Is it possible that you hear the word environment and an alarm goes off in your head, immediately putting you on the defensive? I wouldn't blame you based on your statements. If I had only seen what you have, my opinions would also be much the same. I have had the benefit of working with a church environmental group when I was growing up. It was conservation, but I was taught that conservation is a part of environmentalism. We picked up trash, recycled, and wrote letters to our congress about the polluting and treatment of our environment around us. We were taught that this planet was given to use to care for and thus we were responsible for the animals, plants, and air we breathe. But I am beginning to understand that the word itself has been associated with extremism. Its unfortunate, but it will take a lifetime of repair to change the minds of christians I fear. It may never happen if crazy people don't stop acting like environmentalism is the act of protecting everything but humans when its actually protecting every thing we live in because it has been given to us to do so.

7th May, 2006 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

Konquerez, I am not sure what sparked this discussion, and I get two different vibes from you from both your posts. Initially you seemed to have a pre-conceived notion that Christians do not care about the environment. Subsequently, you blame the extremist movements for our supposed indifference.

How can you believe the Bible and not be an environmentalist?

I am curious as to why you made this initial statement. Please tell us what is bothering you to make such a statement, because honestly, I was a bit concerned to say the least about being labeled as not caring about the environment because of your assumptions.

Post Date: 7th May, 2006 - 4:06am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Male,

What sparked the discussion was the linking of environmentalism to imperialism and terror. It was commented and backed by other comments creating the notion that the christians in general feel that the environmentalist movement is closer to a terror organization than doing any good. Growing up, I have found that most christians, including my parents, have a VERY bad attitude towards to issue, and even towards environmentalism in general.

When the main reason that I hear for not wanting to doing anything for the environment is that it really doesn't matter, the lord is coming back soon. Since much of the environmental discussion relates to long term consequences like global warming and green house gases, what does it matter if the earth will be remade in a few short years right? Not one christian can say they know when their god is coming back, but they are willing to use it as an excuse to not do anything about the world they live in. You cannot even imagine how many christians I have talked to, even when I was one, that will simply roll their eyes at any thing related to the environment. I have had a pastor roll his eyes at me when I was trying to start up a recycling program at the new church I was attending at the time. You may not agree with the statement, but I have well over twenty years, five churches, two denominations worth of people who essentially look down on my desire to do something to preserve the quality of life on earth for the next generation.

But the attitude between post one and two was different because of, mostly, nighthawks post. He was completely honest about why he felt that way about environmentalist, making me realize that its not the attitude regarding the actual being and action of an environmentalist, but the attitude towards what is perceived as the greater part of the movement. Its a false perception perpetrated by the media, but one that he has legitimately formed.

As for my comment about believing the bible and being an environmentalist, well I thought the quotes from the bible and the definitions were sufficient to explain it. However, to me, its obvious that if you are given dominion over something, made a steward, then it is your responsibility to care for it. If you believe the bible, then you believe that the earth was given to man as a stewardship, to take care of. Man was given dominion, thus its our responsibility. Therefore, to have the roll your eyes attitude about true environmentalism, taking care of the planet, preventing its destruction, goes against someone who accepts that they have been given dominion and stewardship over this earth. So my statement stands, you cannot believe everything the bible says but reject the greater principles of environmentalism. The definition of it says nothing about being willing to sacrifice humanity for the sake of animals and plants, that is a false perception perpetrated by the media and crazy people who smoke to much pot.

If you are not one of the christians who feel that way, then the above statements don't apply. However, I can go into any church, on any given block, in any given city, and find horrible apathy towards environmentalism and that roll your eyes reaction to anything relating to it. I have seen, I have experienced it on a large scale, before I was agnostic. My post was aimed and finding out why that is, for me, the issue is why, not if it happens, I already have that answer. Unfortunately, when speaking about environmentalist, the extremists are the first thing christians bring up as a reason for not trying to help the environment, like maybe everyone who is an environmentalist suddenly turns crazy. Another unfortunate is that my perception has been skewed by the fact that nearly every christian I talk with find something wrong with any and every bill or law that is created to help the environment. They pick it apart for every little problem then make it the all encompassing justification for their rejection of it. They ignore the fact that every bill is like that doesn't enter into the equation. The republican platform has never been strong on the environment, and unfortunately, the majority of christians in america equate christian to republic. Nearly 85% of christians also consider themselves republican, which fuels the lack of concern for the environment.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th May, 2006 - 12:18pm / Post ID: #

Christianity Environmentalism

It looks to me like you should change your terminology when talking to Christians. You are right, that the Bible says that we should have dominion over the earth, and implies that we should care for it and dress it and improve it.

Since the term "environmentalism" is now associated with the radicals, perhaps we need to take a more common sense approach to it.

Find out about the conservationist groups, such as Ducks Unlimited. Show how they are actually being more effective at their work than groups such as PETA, the Sierra Club, and Earth First. Notice that conservationists continually try to improve the environment, not just halt all mankind's growth.

Take a close look at what "urban planning" activists are actually trying to accomplish. They are trying, successfully, to limit, and eliminate, private property rights. They consciously work to make peoples property worthless, unless it is in an area that they approve. They seek to use government interference in ways that certainly aren't approved by the Constitution to limit what a person can do with their own property.

Let me give you an example.

Where I go to church, the building is on a 5 acre lot. The building is too small for its intended purposes. The parking lot is too small. There is plenty of room on the lot to extend the building AND the parking lot. The Church owns this property. They have complete many "environmental impact statements." Yet the city won't allow them to do ANY work on the property, because it doesn't follow the "urban planning" that the city has in place.

So, if you want to talk to christians about environmental concerns, point out the conservationist movements, and how christians can help them to restore deer, elk, and caribou herds, improve duck and goose living space, and improve water for fishing and recreation. Point out that conservationist movements have ensured that the forest land in the US is actually increasing year by year. They do this by using market forces, encouraging people to treat the land right and showing how this benefits people, instead of hurting them.

Ask yourself if the environmentalists are really helping when they won't allow a family to farm land that has been in their family for many years, because a particular mouse lives on that land. The land got overgrown to the point that not even the mouse could live there. Since it was overgrown, when a drought struck (common in California), the farmland burned. So, even if the mice were still there, after the intensely hot fire, there wasn't a chance that any survived. So, what good did the environmentalist do?

Consider what they accomplished in the Klamath River Valley in Oregon. Based on a single, unconfirmed report, environmentalists used government agencies (not laws or even courts, but agencies) to stop all irrigation to the valley. Why? To "save" a single breed of salmon. This salmon had been added to the Endangered Species list, despite the fact that it didn't qualify. After the irrigation was stopped, real scientists showed that not only was this breed (not species) not endangered, but that the effects of the irrigation were good for it.

That didn't change anything. Instead, the environmentalists put farmers (family farms at that!) out of business, and headed the valley towards becoming a dust bowl. Once land like that dries out, it would take generations to recover, since the fertile topsoil would have blown away.

I am not sure now what eventually happened. But for at least 3 years, a lot of people were getting hurt - a lot.

That shows the real danger of environmentalism (at least to me). Environmentalists are very predominantly liberal, and use governmental agencies, regulation, and courts to accomplish their goals, instead of using legislature, and the established rule of law.

Focus on conservationism, not environmentalism, and you will see a respect for liberty and property, with consideration of side effects. Getting government involved in things like this ALWAYS lead to unintended and unforeseen consequences, and rarely are those consequences good at all.

For what it is worth, I have no problem at all with recycling, reuse, or reduction. I think it is very bad to see the amount of trash that we (including me) generate. I would love to see the air and water cleaned up (which, by the way, is happening, since the air and water in the US is generally better than it has been in many, many years, and continues to improve). We have a ways to go. But we are making progress. I, however, see the environmentalism movement making it more difficult, not less, to make real progress in these areas.

After all, if you set a minimum standard, what motivation do individuals or companies have to exceed those minimums?

Remember, there is no problem so bad that governmental interference can't, and won't, make it worse.

Post Date: 2nd Oct, 2008 - 10:07pm / Post ID: #

Christianity Environmentalism General Religious Beliefs

Name: Mike

Comments: There's the sustainability movement that has brought together both conservation and environmentalism into a broader more encompassing academic movement that seems to emphasize the concepts of sufficiency over efficiency. This mindset challenges the notion of the take-make-waste paradigm popular throughout the industrial revolution and shifts our mentality towards a more conservation based reduce-reuse-recycle which ultimately will safeguard our resources for future generations which both the conversationalist and environmentalist can appreciate.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Christianity And Environmentalism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,