Mormons & Harry Potter

Mormons Harry Potter - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Aug, 2016 - 7:48am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Elder Holland Speaks About...
24th May, 2006 - 9:04pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Harry Potter

Mormons & Harry Potter

It seems like Elder Holland have read the books or enjoy the movies? He is using Harry Potter as an example in this talk given at the Fourth Annual Guardian of the Light Award Dinner of the Lighted Candle Society.

international QUOTE
You are well aware of the Harry Potter books and movies by J. K. Rowling.  One of the reasons the books are so popular, I think, is that they show children victorious in battle against dark forces.  They give readers hope that, even in total darkness, there is that spark of light.  Despite the powerful evil arrayed against them, they know they can defeat the darkness.

But fundamental to the message of the Harry Potter books is the idea that children don't - indeed, can't - fight their battles alone.  In fact, the one gift that saves Harry over and over again is the love of his mother, who died protecting him from evil.  Without any question one of those best "Defenses against the dark arts" - to use a phrase from the Harry Potter books - is close family ties.  Parental love, family activity, gentle teaching, and respectful conversation - sweet time together - can help keep the generations close and build bonds that will never be broken.

Sponsored Links:
24th May, 2006 - 10:38pm / Post ID: #

Potter Harry and Mormons

That is quite interesting that he would have such a take on these books, as I have seen where MANY members of the Church, as well as other Christian denominations, have railed against it, how horrible the stories are because they talk about magic, and have witches and wizardry in them.

Post Date: 28th Jun, 2006 - 10:38am / Post ID: #

Mormons & Harry Potter
A Friend

Mormons & Harry Potter Studies Doctrine Mormon

Awesome quote. I was afraid it would be yet another quote against Harry Potter, but I'm glad to see people can see the good in it, especially in our church.

20th Jul, 2006 - 5:33am / Post ID: #

Potter Harry and Mormons

I am glad that that quote was made. I have read all books up to date and enjoy it for entertainment purposes. Holland's quote helps to shed positive feedback for the author, her books and the movies. I strongly agree with what Jeffrey R Holland said.

Post Date: 21st Jul, 2009 - 12:17am / Post ID: #

Potter Harry and Mormons

Name: Jacinta

Comments: May I add my reason for loving the Harry Potter series? I have found Rowling's ability to contextualise her characters in such a way as to replicate personality traits within our society. She also has used names describing character behaviours and roles which again, we find within our society.

For example, a dementor - cross between a demon and a tormentor perhaps? Do we not know such people in our own lives who like to bleed us dry of every joy or happy moment?

Professor Umbridge - ever met anyone suffering from umbrage? You may not call it that but this is displayed in road rage etc. Do we not also know people who pretend all is well yet all the while store up their anger and unleash it on a defenseless being?

I could go on but I won't - I think you get what I am saying here. My children and I enjoy the depths which can be found within the series' pages and whilst the movies are a condensed version, there is still enjoyment to be found if we can get past ourselves.

Goodness me, all these judgments - did we not grow up on Bewitched, Frankenstein, Dracula, ogres, trolls and other such myths? Let the children have their fairytales - are their lives so manufactured we'd deny them even this?

Let's step off our pedestals and smile - after all Elder Holland says, I add the Lord's words - Be of good cheer!

Cheer up and let the children have some cheer too!

21st Jul, 2009 - 12:38am / Post ID: #

Mormons & Harry Potter

QUOTE (JoePublic @ 21-Jul 09, 12:17 AM)
Goodness me, all these judgments - did we not grow up on Bewitched, Frankenstein, Dracula, ogres, trolls and other such myths? Let the children have their fairytales - are their lives so manufactured we'd deny them even this?

My dear sister in Christ many of us don't believe we should teach kids all those lies, yes all the things you mentioned are lies and there is only source of lies and that's Satan but I understand your view and it's fine that you and your kids enjoy Harry Potter and and his wizard ways I think each parent is responsible to teach their own kids what they want them to believe. Just like the lord said to be a good cheer he also said don't judge one another don't forget that my dear sister.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Dec, 2010 - 2:33pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Harry Potter

Name: Spartacus

Comments: My only question is why is the quote [for Mormons & Harry Potter is] not cited. I would like to see the source of the quote please.

Post Date: 3rd Aug, 2016 - 7:48am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mormons & Harry Potter Mormon Doctrine Studies

being Mormon is like being in Harry Potter

Many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are fans of the Harry Potter series, perhaps because there are some similarities between Mormons and the Harry Potter characters. Ref. Source 8g.

> TOPIC: Mormons & Harry Potter

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,