Is Tithing Today Scriptural?

Is Tithing Today Scriptural - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 26th May, 2006 - 12:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 25th May, 2006 - 8:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I personally do not believe that tithing today is scriptural at all. Here are a few reasons.

1. Abraham never tithed on his own personal property or livestock.

2. Jacob wouldn't tithe until God blessed him first.

3. Only Levite priests could collect tithes, and there are no Levite priests today.

4. Only food products from the land were tithable.

5. Money was never a tithable commodity.

6. Christian converts were never asked to tithe anything to the Church.

7. Tithing in the Church first appears centuries after completion of the Bible.

Tithe was set up so that the priestly caste would have food to eat and a way to support their families via the rest of the tribes of Israel. While it may be a nifty concept to use in todays church, priests and preachers are not of the tribe of Israel, thus scripturally have no claim to the tithe.

Tithe was not to keep up a church, it was to support the priestly caste, thus again its a nifty idea but up keep of a church is not a scriptural reason to tithe either.

But I feel this has been largely ignored by the church, now claiming that the first tenth is Gods. However, Leviticus 27:30-33 simply says THE tenth. That would mean the last tenth because the tenth refers to the tenth part, not the first part.

What do you believe, is tithe scriptural or not?

Sponsored Links:
25th May, 2006 - 8:03pm / Post ID: #

Scriptural Today Tithing Is

I do not understand fully what do you mean by Tithing being not Scriptural today. Payment of tithing is in the Bible therefore it applies to us today also.

1. Genesis 14:20 "And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all." (Abraham to Melchidedek)

2. He did not have anything to tithe, that's why he made a vow to God that when God blesses him with "bread to eat" and "raiment to put on" and everything that God may give him, he said he would surely tithe to Him.

3. There are within the LDS Church. They are called Bishops.

4. Still tithing. There are places far away where I know people tithe eggs and other goods, not money.

5. I suppose it is just how the world have evolved, making it easier to do it that way. Can you imagine if every person would tithe from their food and stuff? It would not be convenient but as I mentioned in #4 there are people, specially those who live in farm areas who tithe out of goods.

6. I do not have information about this.

7. Just because Churches started asking for tithing centuries after the completion of the Bible, it does not mean that Tithing is not scriptural. They just failed to implemented. It was always in the Bible.

Post Date: 26th May, 2006 - 7:57am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Is Tithing Today Scriptural? Revealed Bible The

1. Abraham wasn't tithing in a fashion that relates to our tithing. He gave 10% to Melchidedek and 90% to Sodom. He was giving all the spoils of war to someone else.

2. Jacob made requirements of God, required blessings then he would tithe a tenth. Thats not the same as tithing and hoping to be blessed.

3. Bishops aren't levites, they are not descendant from the tribe of Israelites called levites.

4. Yes, but only food was ever tithed, that leaves the scriptural basis for money tithe without, because money existed.

5. Scripture remains the same, but then I know you believe that gods revelation changes with the times and that god gives new revelation, so under your beliefs, this point I must defer to you.

7. The main issue I have with this is that the church was young enough to remember Jesus teachings supposedly. Why did they leave tithing out if it was to be practiced.

26th May, 2006 - 12:57pm / Post ID: #

Scriptural Today Tithing Is

I will really only respond to points 3, 6 and 7. Keeping in mind that this is according to my LDS beliefs.

3. We believe that the Bishop, which is a Priesthood office, is standing in place of Levites, until they come to receive the Priesthood and act within their hereditary offices. Thus LDS_Forever's mention of the Bishop.

6. Christian converts certainly WERE asked to give to the Church. Consider the story of Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5. They lied to the Lord (His representative) when they reported that they had consecrated everything to the Church. Because of their lies, they were both stuck down. Look, however, at what they lied about.

They were supposed to be consecrating ALL of their worldly goods. This was a practice that was in force in those early days, that the Christians lived with all things in common. This was voluntary, as is tithing. It is actually a higher law than tithing - tithing prepares people to live this law of consecration.

Ananias and Sapphira weren't struck down for reserving some of their property. They had that right. However, they lied about it to the Lord.

7. Since the early Church did live that law of consecration, wherein they held all worldly goods in common, it was later that the Church stopped living that law, then later still when they recognized, for whatever reason, that the law of tithing was still in effect.

That is the single strongest point that I could stress concerning tithing in the New Testament. There is no place where there is any indication that tithing was rescinded.

> TOPIC: Is Tithing Today Scriptural?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,