How Women Should Look

How Women Look - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 5th Jun, 2006 - 5:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

According to the Bible...
Post Date: 27th May, 2006 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

How Women Should Look

How Women Should Look

Consider your understanding of this verse and whether you see this as being relevant to female humans today?

"In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array" (1 Timothy 2:9). "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering" (1 Corinthians 11:15).

Sponsored Links:
27th May, 2006 - 2:01pm / Post ID: #

Look Women How

Well, the reality is that the women you see walking down the street are not normally dress with "modest apparel". I think what the verse is trying to make is an emphasis on the problem of "vanity". Excess of jewelry, expensive clothing, etc shows a great interest in the way a person looks and when you use so much of your time concerned about your outlook, you really do not pay much attention to your inside which is the most important part of your being.
"Gold, pearls, costly array" and so on may also lead to pride, thinking that you are better than others just because you have these things. Modesty is a principle that every Christian should apply in their lives.

Post Date: 27th May, 2006 - 6:56pm / Post ID: #

How Women Should Look
A Friend

How Women Should Look Revealed Bible The

The key part of this verse to me is the idea of having long hair being a glory. Long hair has long been considered a sign of importance or respect for a woman. Women in other cultures were often not allowed to keep long hair if they were not important enough. I really doubt it was the intention of their time period, at least not directly, but it reflects a certain attitude that we don't have any more that long hair for a women means she is important.

Post Date: 29th May, 2006 - 1:36pm / Post ID: #

How Women Should Look
A Friend

Look Women How

I agree that spending too much time and money adorning oneself can be subtracted from the time you spend on more important things. A word on the braids though, during that time braids were associated with prostitution I believe. It also mentions this in the Old Testament which caried the same connotations and of course does not apply today.

Message Edited!
Persephone: use the Spell Checker before posting.

30th May, 2006 - 7:32am / Post ID: #

Look Women How

I agree that the verse has to do with where a womans heart is. If what a woman wears and the cost of her jewelry is the most important thing, then she is guilty of idol worship. I think it is very relevant to female humans today. Females today wear less apparel, and use their bodies to draw attention to themselves, but if the reason for doing something is the same, then the sin is the same. The long hair could mean that it is perfectly acceptable for a woman to look her best and be attractive, as long as it's not with the intent to make every male within sight ogle and desire her.

5th Jun, 2006 - 5:59pm / Post ID: #

How Women Should Look

It's interesting to me how some man's idea of the way a woman should look changes with time, even in the Bible.
The father of Her and Onan promised Thamar another husband as soon as his youngest son grew up. This promise was forgotten, so Thamar played a little trick.

She put off her widows garments, put on a veil, wrapped herself up and sat by the gateway of Enaim on the road to Thamna; for she was aware that Sela had grown up, yet she had not been given to him in marriage.  When Juda saw her, he thought she was a harlot; for she had covered her face.  (Genesis 38:14)  

This woman wrapped herself and covered her face. Broided hair, gold, pearls, or costly array, was not even mentioned. In (1 Corinthians 11:15) she would probably have been judged to be very modest, but in Genesis she appeared to be a harlot.
  Consider your understanding of this verse and whether you see this as being relevant to female humans today? 

Today we all know from experience what appears modest and how a woman would dress to appear to be a "harlot." A female human being can be extremely attractive and modest at the same time. A "harlot" uses a measure of "undress" to catch the eye. I'm sure there must be, but I don't recall the Bible instructing the male of the species on how he should dress.
Offtopic but,
If you have a Bible handy, the story of Thamar is an interesting insight into marriage customs in Bible times.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: How Women Should Look

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,