Maybe We Are Not Worthy Mormons? - Page 2 of 4

Name: Michael Country: Title: Not worthy? - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st Mar, 2013 - 1:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
4th Nov, 2006 - 11:04pm / Post ID: #

Maybe We Are Not Worthy Mormons? - Page 2

QUOTE (Superme)
If things have been changed I'm sure it's for a good reason. Either the men who change these things are unworthy and change them without the direction of God.

True, but does that make it a good reason either way?

If you read through these Threads you will note that in most cases whenever a change was made it was to appease some kind of social standing. It started with the US Government and continues today with that and an extension of the world media's fascination with cults and the unusual.

Most of this has resulted in a general unworthiness to fulfill what the Lord has outlined and the unwillingness to bare the burden of peculiarity.

Sponsored Links:
5th Nov, 2006 - 1:06am / Post ID: #

Mormons Worthy Not We Maybe

If things have been changed I'm sure it's for a good reason.

Well, do you think that to please Babylon (the world) is a good reason?

Post Date: 5th Nov, 2006 - 7:46am / Post ID: #

Maybe We Are Not Worthy Mormons?
A Friend

Maybe We Are Not Worthy Mormons? Studies Doctrine Mormon

This is just my opinion, but perhaps some of these changes make the church appear more "familiar" to investigators. Why do we use the KJV instead of a version with JST already in place? I think it is for investigators, and makes for an easier, smoother journey to deeper doctrine, and scripture study. Again this comes only from my own rationalization.
It does hurt knowing things were changed only because I was always under the presumption that teachings have staid the same since the restoration. I haven't studied, nor prayed about these changes enough to give a strong stance on whether we are or aren't worthy. I know I have faith in the Father and Savior, and through the Holy Ghost I can receive answers. Now all I have to do is practice listening skills so I can hear the Spirit.

5th Nov, 2006 - 7:14pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Mormons Worthy Not We Maybe

but perhaps some of these changes make the church appear more "familiar" to investigators.

Well, one of the changes the Church have done several times since Joseph Smith was how Temple Ordinances are done, even though Joseph Smith clearly said that the day that anybody changes those things, we are surely on the road for Apostacy.

Personally, I do not think is a matter of being worthy. We will never be 100% worthy. It is simply for the sake of keeping a good "Christian" image in the world. That's one of the reason the Church is so against talking or teaching about Plural Marriage for instance, it is like an embarrassment for the Church. "Let's close the book of the past" or "It is not doctrinal". We are way too concerned about how we look.

It does hurt knowing things were changed only because I was always under the presumption that teachings have staid the same since the restoration.

I would like to refer you to the thread called "Changes in Doctrine and Practice" for your study and participation.

https://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showtopic=9949

10th Nov, 2006 - 12:34am / Post ID: #

Mormons Worthy Not We Maybe

The Lord said clearly that he would take away the mysteries and the talents from those who did not take them seriously or even mocked them. Maybe the Lord's Church has reached a state where Members just do not want to know these things and so they are not blessed to have them, hence my argument that we are just not worthy. As is said in another Thread... could you imagine Discussing Plural Marriage with the Members? They will think you are apostate when it was a clear doctrine thought by Joseph, Brigham and the early Brethren.

We have to discover the mysteries for ourselves and hope for the day when we can participate in the blessings that the early Church once had.

26th Nov, 2012 - 6:13pm / Post ID: #

When god's people do not follow his will explicitly then they are not given explicit rites in his priesthood. Greater blessings require greater obedience.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Jan, 2013 - 10:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Maybe We Not Worthy Mormons - Page 2

international QUOTE
I was just thinking about our many Discussions here about ordinances that once were and are now no longer available or restricted to a few. I am thinking... Maybe We Are Not Worthy?

I think that you're right--that's part of it, or one explanation. The Prophet Joseph Smith said:

international QUOTE
".... When the Lord has thoroughly proved the man and finds that the man is determined to serve Him at all hazards, then the man will find his calling and election made sure." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 150)

We may ask ourselves whether God has "Thoroughly proved" us, or if He still needs to do some more testing, and whether we have proved to Him that we are "Determined to serve him at all hazards." I remember one man, for whom I had a great deal of respect and suspected that he had had his calling and election made sure. Anytime anyone would ask him what to do in order to have their calling and election made sure, his answer was always the same--"Do your home teaching." The more I think about that, the more sense it makes. But I see various reasons for why more people don't receive that ordinance in our day:

1.) As you said, we are not worthy.

2.) Logistics. Think about it. If the revelation that authorizes the Prophet to give that ordinance to someone has to come through the Prophet (see D&C 132:7), then how could he--one man-- possibly get around to literally millions of members of the Church? Not possible.

3. It is a principle of mercy that we do not receive that ordinance in this life. When you consider what happens to people who receive that ordinance in this life and later commit "ANY sin or transgression of the new and everlasting covenant whatever" (D&C 132:26), then it would appear to be a principle of mercy that the Lord withholds that ordinance from us and allows us to receive it in the spirit world, when Satan has no more power to tempt us, by someone here in mortality (the 144,000?) acting by proxy for and in our behalf.

Those are some possibilities that I see.

Post Date: 1st Mar, 2013 - 1:53pm / Post ID: #

Maybe We Not Worthy Mormons Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Name: Michael

Title: Not worthy?

Comments: For example?

international QUOTE
I am thinking... Maybe We Are Not Worthy?

If you are talking about second anointing, then you are right--most of us are not worthy. But that has always been the case in the Church. There never was a time in the Church when most members received this ordinance.

international QUOTE
I mean that sounds too simple right?

Not necessarily.

international QUOTE
However, think about it as a Church and not as a few... How many in the Church will be willing to accept hearing about these Topics, let alone accept them? Not many at all.

What topics?

international QUOTE
Look at Knowltonutah as a very small isolated example.

Don't know him.

international QUOTE
He may seem obscure in his methods, but he represents a large part of the LDS population that are just like that - blind.

Mark Twain said that we are all ignorant, just on different subjects. Again, judging others for their ignorance is easy, and it feels good because it strokes our pride and makes us feel superior to others who may not be as well-informed as we are on a particular subject but may be better-informed on other topics.

international QUOTE
When you consider Bishops and Stake Presidents that abuse for years and yet give out Temple Recommends to others until they are caught you have to wonder how many of the people they interviewed were even worthy?

Fortunately, I am not aware of any.

international QUOTE
Don't take what I am saying as a cop-out, I am really pondering it... Maybe We Are Not Worthy?

Well, if you are talking about second anointings, then I think you are right, most of us are just simply not worthy. But, as I said, that is how it has always been. There has never been a time in the Church when most of the members received their second anointings. My grandfater and g-g grandfathers did, but they were the exceptions and not the rule.

international QUOTE
Maybe the talent has been given to those who are worthy.

True, many members are still receiving it today, but I don't believe that everyone who is worthy receives it in this life. I believe that the vast majority of us will receive it in the spirit world by someone acting as proxy for us in mortality. So, in answer to your question, I think that there may be more than one reason why not everyone receives that ordinance in this life:

1.) The most obvious--they are not worthy. But as I say, this has always been the case.

2.) Logistics. The revelation to give someone that ordinance would need to come through the living prophet (see D&C 132:7), and there is just simply no way that he can possibly get around to literally millions of members. It would be easier for the 144,000 to do it by acting as proxies for us during the millennium.

3.) Mercy. If you look at what happens to people who receive the ordinance in this life and then commit "Any sin or transgression whatever of the new and everlasting covenant," (D&C 132:26), it is a principle of mercy for the Lord to permit us to receive the ordinance in the spirit world (when Satan will have no power to tempt us), by others acting as proxies in our behalf.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Maybe We Are Not Worthy Mormons?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,