Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 3 of 7

JB mentioned Muslims but are they legally - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Nov, 2007 - 12:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Post Date: 29th Aug, 2007 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 3

This Thread is about The Church And The Federal Marriage Amendment and not BYU.

Sponsored Links:
5th Nov, 2007 - 5:39pm / Post ID: #

Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

The Marriage amendment is a worthy cause for church members to be involved in.

For me the move to allow Homosexual marriages is not a matter of giving people rights. It is only about changing the definition of Marriage as it has been since the Beginning. Marriage by definition is the union between a man and a woman.

An amendment to the Constitution defining marriage should be so far down the list of moral / spiritual issues that it shouldn't even be a consideration.

The fundamentals of Marriage are one of the most important Tenants of the LDS Faith.

I believe Marriage is the most important moral issue of our day. A healthy marriage is more fundamental in issues of poverty, economics, and education then any other aspect of morality. I believe that is why the Church is so strongly involved in this issue.

by
Robert Lerman
Marriage and the Economic Well-Being of Families with Children

These changes in family structure have caused a great deal, perhaps all, of the increases in child poverty between the early 1970s and the 1990s (Lerman 1996; Sawhill 1999

If people have a happy marriage then they are usually less poor.
I do think the Church in all of its programs are involved in increasing happiness in Marriage and strengthening the family

Rather off topic, but...

Within the Church, about 24% of all marriages performed within the Temple end up in divorce

This includes all marriages, both temple and non-temple marriages.

Los Angeles Times, 8 April 2000

In an era of divorce, Mormon temple weddings are built to last.... While other Mormons divorce at the usual rate, only 6% of those who undergo the demanding temple marriage break up,

There are many members of the Church who do not marry in the Temple or who are of mixed marriages (one spouse in not a member). Individual who marry in the Temple are in fact doing well.

5th Nov, 2007 - 5:58pm / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment Studies Doctrine Mormon

What is the current stage or status of this Amendment anyway?

Dbackers is it going to say marriage is between man and woman or male and female? Reason I ask is because the issue of plural marriage is one that polygamist are interested in with the law definition? Does it also say marriage is monogamous?

5th Nov, 2007 - 6:34pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

I kind of of stayed away from the Plural Marriage thing, as I believe it is not something that should be included as a legal union in the United States.
But in my view we need to make the law say one man and one women (no provisions for alternate marriages) and not even consider Plural Marriage as an option. It would only hurt the Church in the long run.

What is the current stage or status of this Amendment anyway?

It is dead. With Democrats in Congress it could not pass and with a Democratic President looking more and more likely, the amendment will never be passed. As to the States, I believe it would pass by a large margin, as most voter pushed laws have passed by the necessary 2/3 vote.

5th Nov, 2007 - 6:42pm / Post ID: #

Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

Don't most in the US believe that marriage should be decided by State and not Federal Government? If so, I think that would be confusing... yes I am married in this State, but not in the next one.

The other point. It is better to have a law I feel, even controlling plural marriage... why... because if a man wants to live with three women the government cannot stop it, nor do the women have much claim or protection. However, with the law they may have a say and name for which they can abide. Also, people often forget that the Muslims live this law openly without remorse and yet no one makes a hub bub about it. Muslims are allowed to marry up to four women. Just consider how many Muslim men there are in the US.

5th Nov, 2007 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment

Don't most in the US believe that marriage should be decided by State and not Federal Government?

They do, but the problem is that if one State thinks marriage should be between a man and a woman, or between Same sex couples, then all other states must honor that contract. This is a Constitutional realty that can only be changed by a changing Article IV Section I. This is the main reason that some want to have a constitutionally mandated Marriage law so there is consistency among the states concerning the definition of Marriage.

Article. IV. - The States
Section 1 - Each State to Honor all others

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

This means that if one state acknowledges a marriage, regardless of its type, then another state must acknowledge that marriage.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Nov, 2007 - 12:32pm / Post ID: #

Mormons The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 3

What about my other point... the idea of living with three women and married to them, what is the difference? Do not be afraid to Discuss Plural Marriage, no one here is saying that this is something that must be, but I am personally amazed of people's general objection to it as though it were gay marriage. You may wish to have a full read of th sticky Thread: 'In that day...'.

6th Nov, 2007 - 12:37pm / Post ID: #

Mormons The Federal Marriage Amendment Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

JB mentioned Muslims but are they legally married to these women in the US? We are speaking strictly in terms of legality in the eyes of the law and not in the eyes of religion.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,