Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 5 of 7

Dbackers: QUOTE Are you saying that the Church - Page 5 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Aug, 2008 - 5:24pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
7th Nov, 2007 - 11:31pm / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 5

No one will notice if they do not make themselves knowledgeable of this as a Doctrine and ordinance established by Joseph Smith.

You are probably right.

I understand the doctrine of plural marriage to an extent, and I fully believe that it will one day be required of the Church, but I liken the current view of the Church to the Prophet Jacob, who also fought against unauthorized Plural Marriage in the Book of Mormon.

Jacob 1: 15

15 And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son.

The Prophet Jacob further declared:
Jacob 2: 27

27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

There are times in the different dispensations of the Church (such as the during the time of Abraham, and the early part of the current Dispensation) where polygamy was necessary. During other times Polygamy was taken from the church, and even fought against (Jacob's time and our current time) because of the its unauthorized practice. I do not think it is that nefarious that the Church fights against it now, as there is precedents in past dispensations.

Sponsored Links:
8th Nov, 2007 - 1:46am / Post ID: #

Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

Well, really to go in depth with this you need to visit the primary Thread where we Discuss this. The points you have an answer, but this is mostly about the modern stance of the Church on it to the point of becoming 'political' about it.

8th Aug, 2008 - 5:04am / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment Studies Doctrine Mormon

I've just come from a meeting to discuss the new Proposition 8 in California, to amend the state constitution defining marriage as legal only for a man and a woman. Proposition 22 in 2000 - which created a law or statute defining marriage as between man and woman only - was recently overturned by a state supreme court judge, saying it was unconstitutional (according to the state constitution). (A state law can be changed according to legal process, such as in the courts; the state constitution would have to be changed through another amendment.)

The church is not "officially" involved with promoting Prop 8, but let me tell you they are the driving force behind it. The organizational levels are amazing! We are sanctioned to use church membership lists for phone calls about this, which has been taboo for as long as I can remember. The man leading the meeting tonight (at the stake center) has been "called" by the stake president to head the committee in our local area. The stake president stated that announcements about volunteer efforts and meetings will be allowed in Sunday bulletins and in classes. This is huge!

Perhaps one day this will be fired up again in the US Congress. For now, the fight is on in California.

8th Aug, 2008 - 12:17pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

Farseer:

The stake president stated that announcements about volunteer efforts and meetings will be allowed in Sunday bulletins and in classes.

In my opinion, this is wrong in so many levels! The Church has to come straight and accept/acknowledge the fact they are getting involve in politics way too much. We are mixing the both (Religion and Politics) which I absolutely disagree.

8th Aug, 2008 - 1:38pm / Post ID: #

Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

While I agree that the church should not be involved in political activity as far as endorsing a specific candidate or party, or discussing those issues from the pulpit in sacrament meeting, I have to say that I think they need to get involved in activism for particular issues -- such as this one -- that directly affect the church.

To sit back and do nothing while same-sex marriage is being fought out in the political arena is more wrong than getting involved, in my opinion. I'm not sure how I feel about announcements in the bulletins/programs, but we have to - as an organized group - fight for what's right, stand up for what we believe in, and not let evil prevail by being "politically correct." This isn't about the separation of church and state, this is concern for the spread of society-degrading behavior and laws that promote it.

I've been assigned to assist one of the area coordinators with my singles group. We'll do everything we can. Here's the website: www.protectmarriage.com (not a link).

8th Aug, 2008 - 3:13pm / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment

Well, if you read my thoughts in the same sex marriage thread (LDS) you will know how I feel about it:

Source 3

I'm not sure how I feel about announcements in the bulletins/programs, but we have to - as an organized group - fight for what's right, stand up for what we believe in, and not let evil prevail by being "politically correct."

It's not a issue of being politically correct, but an opinion of whether we should impose by legislation OUR beliefs to others and in this case the Church getting involved and encouraging the members to support such legislation.

Let me tell you that I am against the idea of same sex marriages but I don't believe for a second we should have the RIGHT through law to tell others that it is wrong just because of our religion and the Church could well share its opinion and stand but getting actively involved in a political issue such as this one is not good, in my opinion.

As a matter of fact, I am totally against ANY political issue the Church gets involved in including immigration which they have spoken about recently.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Aug, 2008 - 4:33pm / Post ID: #

Mormons The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 5

but an opinion of whether we should impose by legislation OUR beliefs to others 

Legislation is always an imposition of ones beliefs onto the society as a whole. Why is it any more legitimate for an organization like Glaad (The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) or the ACLU to impose their beliefs on our country through legislation (and more often through judicial mandate) then for the Church to try to counter certain trends with the opposite view? Are you saying that the Church should be bared by law from expressing its views on certain issues, or are you saying that it is immoral for the Church to take a stand on Moral issues?

I think it neither illegal or wrong for the Church to be involved in moral issues any more then it was wrong for Lehi to warn Jerusalem of its destruction or for Samuel to warn the kings of his nation to be wary of unrighteous dominion. That has always been the right and privilege of the Prophets. There is no self prohibition by the Church or God from expressing "non-partisan" views, on any subject that I know of. Getting involved in this issue is as critical a role for the Prophet, as is any that he does. He is the mouthpiece chosen to warn the World, and why should it not be on this particular subject?

8th Aug, 2008 - 5:24pm / Post ID: #

Mormons The Federal Marriage Amendment Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 5

Dbackers:

Are you saying that the Church should be bared by law from expressing its views on certain issues, or are you saying that it is immoral for the Church to take a stand on Moral issues?

None. I think the Church should stay within the walls of Religion related activities. Nothing more, nothing less.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,