Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 7 of 7

Thanks for that reference Dbackers. I agree. - Page 7 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 25th Sep, 2008 - 5:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 7 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 
23rd Sep, 2008 - 1:37am / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 7

Yes, read from the pulpit a couple of times, and repeated in Relief Society. There have been several announcements about this and various meetings, assignments, etc. We had Dallin H. Oaks at our stake conference last weekend, and the outgoing stake president discussed it for a few minutes as well. It will be very interesting how it all turns out.

Sponsored Links:
23rd Sep, 2008 - 3:32pm / Post ID: #

Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

I do not see this as much about being against homosexual Marriage but like Farseer said ,its about being pro traditional marriage.

To me its like saying I'm pro-life rather then saying I'm anti-abortion or pro-choice. It seems to hold a different connotation, and to me is a more accurate way of portraying my feelings and thoughts about the issue.

25th Sep, 2008 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment Studies Doctrine Mormon

Are some of us who oppose the Church on this issue and voice it here on the forum on risk of facing disciplinary action?

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - Thousands of web hits and comments later, our story about LDS member Andrew Callahan continues to spark a strong reaction. Callahan faces excommunication Friday for supporting gay marriage, but he isn't backing down.

Callahan said via a telephone interview with ABC 4, "We are a Mormon people who have been discriminated against and we didn't like it and now we are discriminating against others."

Andrew Callahan admits he's surprised by the reaction he's getting, after his story on ABC 4's web site had more than one thousand people read it before 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday.

Callahan, through his own website, has been speaking out against the LDS Church's stance on Proposition 8. If it passes, this California ballot measure would ban gay marriage there....

25th Sep, 2008 - 5:04pm / Post ID: #

Page 7 Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

Source 1

An examination of Andrew Callahan's website indicates his disaffection with the LDS Church predates the Church's campaign for Proposition 8. Watch his two YouTube videos HERE. In the first video, Callahan completely twists around and misrepresents LDS culture as promoting intrigue secrecy, and secret combinations. He claims that Mormons glamorize guile, deception, and lying to the Lord, using the example of Nephi's encounter with Laban as documented in the Book of Mormon as "proof". This is the mark of someone who clearly has been out of harmony with the Gospel for a long time. He may be in "good standing" outward, but he's been "out of standing" inward.

If Callahan's excommunicated, it won't be simply because he's opposed to Proposition 8. It will be attributable to the fact that he chose to work openly and recruit other Church members to take a stand against it.

There is something more here, then him just disagreeing with the church on Homosexual Marriage.

And consider the following from his website. These are not the actions of a member in good standings, but rather one who is actively fighting against the work and doctrines of the Church

Actions to mention that you might take

Because of this issue, I am withholding our tithing from this point forward.
Because of this issue I am reducing my tithing to one percent of my income.
I will not be attending the temple again until progress is made on this issue.
I will not volunteer at the Family History Center until progress is made on this issue.
I will not be attending sacrament meeting again until the Church revokes its letter to the California members.
I will be carrying the message of marriage equality to the people I home teach.
I will share a message of love and inclusiveness, including loving and including gays and lesbians to the sisters I visit teach.
I will discourage my child from serving a mission for the Church.
I have decided not to go on a mission because of the Church's actions in this matter.
I will resign from my callings effective immediately.
When I am asked to pray in meetings, I will pray for the right for gays and lesbians to marry everywhere.
When asked to pray in public meetings, I will ask that the Lord forgive our leaders for the mistake they have made in this area.
When asked to pray in meetings I will ask that the Lord inspire our leaders to stop giving political advice and direction to its members.
When I am asked to pray in meetings, I will ask the Lord to inspire our leaders to recognize that gay marriage is the right choice.
When I teach lessons at church I will include messages about the need for marriage equality.
When asked to pray in meetings, I will ask that the Prophet be given the revelation that gays and lesbians should be allowed to marry in the temple.
I will bring up the topic of gay marriage and that I think it should be legal everywhere when I attend my meetings such as PEC, bishopric, high council, presidency meetings, etc.
I will bear a testimony in fast and testimony meeting that marriage between gays and lesbians is indeed ordained of God.
I will bear testimony in fast and testimony meeting that the Church should not direct our actions or thoughts related to politics.
In the lessons I teach I will teach that the Church should not dictate political actions or beliefs on the part of its members.

This man has gone overboard. He is advocating and supporting more then just Homosexual Marriage in a civic venue (an argument that I could understand), but has advocated fighting against the church and praying for Homosexual Marriages to be Performed in the Temple and that they are ordained from God.

Do not these teachings border on apostacy and border on outwardly fighting against the Church and its doctrines? I would not be to disappointed if this man were excommunicated, just for the fact that he is advocating Homosexual Marriages in the Temple and teaching this for doctrine in church meetings.

Discussing Homosexual marriage on a Discussion Website seems entirely different then what this man is doing.

25th Sep, 2008 - 5:09pm / Post ID: #

Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

Thanks for that reference Dbackers. I agree. He went overboard, interestingly enough every time we read about these cases there is always much more to the story.

+  « First of 7 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,