Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 2 of 7

QUOTE However, I know that I regularly hear - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th Aug, 2007 - 12:17am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (7) »
17th Jun, 2006 - 3:04am / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 2

I do not find this letter a reason for not hiring the Professor back, he was being honest in his opinion and I do not see any type of disrespect towards the Brethren. I agree with this in particular:

As for the statement by church leaders that God has ordained marriage to be a union between a man and a woman, I find it quite troubling. It sidesteps the role of polygamy in past and future church teachings. It seems to me that if church leaders at one point in time, not very long ago, told members that the union of one man with several women was important for eternal salvation, but now leads them to believe that God only recognizes the union of one man to one woman, then some explanation is required. (I am not endorsing polygamy.)

God is not the author of incoherence or injustice, but we humans often are. We in the LDS Church must be more honest about our history, including the past and future practice of polygamy in our official doctrine. This will be difficult, for it will reveal that we have been less than truthful in our public relations, and it will show our inconsistency with current statements opposing gay marriage. We can no longer afford to teach only what is useful and hope people won't discover what is true. In this day of easy Internet access, a person can find more real history of the LDS Church in 30 minutes online than the same person would in a lifetime studying approved church materials

We have discussed this issue MANY times within this board and I wonder...what would happen to US if our way of writing and thinking (that sometimes does not go necessarily with the "flow") affect our Church membership? So far, Bro. Nielsen's issue is just a work issue and I hope it ends up there.

Sponsored Links:
19th Jun, 2006 - 5:31pm / Post ID: #

Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

You cannot disagree with the Church?

BYU response to why they do not want Nielsen back

In accordance with the order of the church, we do not consider it our responsibility to correct, contradict or dismiss official pronouncements of the church.

Since you have chosen to contradict and oppose the church in an area of great concern to church leaders, and to do so in a public forum, we will not rehire you after the current term is over

20th Jun, 2006 - 2:15am / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment Studies Doctrine Mormon

That is why BYU, and its supporters, is so proud that it is under condemnation from various collegiate associations. The associations condemn BYU for its lack of academic tolerance, and its habit of firing anyone who doesn't follow every pronouncement of either the Church or BYU.

But, as we all know, BYU is the "Lord's University"! (A line from The RM, a very funny movie.)

Post Date: 28th Aug, 2007 - 6:14pm / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment
A Friend

Page 2 Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

I do not support this amendment because I believe it tramples on the right of the states to govern marriage. However, I believe we need an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that protects the rights of the states to so govern (and declare that the feds CANNOT infringe on the rights of the states to legislate and protect marriage).

Mitt Romney at first announced support for the amendment as written, but recently clarified that he did NOT support it. The LDS Church is not going after Mitt for that view.

I disagree with the view that the government should not have any say on marriage. It has to. If marriage is to mean anything, the society must recognize it. It does that via legislation. So a state that did NOT recognize marriage would be harming marriage.

Rather off topic, but...
Nighthawk
That is why BYU, and its supporters, is so proud that it is under condemnation from various collegiate associations. The associations condemn BYU for its lack of academic tolerance, and its habit of firing anyone who doesn't follow every pronouncement of either the Church or BYU.

Which associations are these? I have no problem with BYU refusing to hire this professor. He clearly spoke out against the Church's position. Doing so violates the conditions of his hire.

28th Aug, 2007 - 8:27pm / Post ID: #

Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

Tortdog:

I have no problem with BYU refusing to hire this professor. He clearly spoke out against the Church's position. Doing so violates the conditions of his hire.

So you are saying that a professor at BYU cannot disagree with a Church position because that will cost him his job and you do not see a problem with that at all? spock.gif

I think in this case it's crazy.

Post Date: 28th Aug, 2007 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

So you are saying that a professor at BYU cannot disagree with a Church position because that will cost him his job and you do not see a problem with that at all?

Zero problem with it. The freedom to associate/assemble protects this right. An institution is not required to accept people into its association with whom the group disagrees with. For example, the law cannot force the NAACP to permit members of the KKK to join as members.

The statement on academic freedom makes clear that this principle applies to religious institutions and the universities they sponsor, so long as the university makes this position clear at the front end. Thus, both BYU and the Catholic University have made clear to their faculty and students that opinions that are contrary to the religious positions of the sponsoring church are not to be published while under that university's employ.

BYU made this condition clear to him. It is not questioned. Because the professor ignored the condition of his hire, BYU is able to sever the relationship with him as a professor.

To do otherwise would require the Church to employ someone who espouses positions contrary to the Church. That's wrong. This man can have is opinion, but he cannot use the Church's university (BYU) as a platform from which to publish it.

Rather off topic, but...
The Supreme Court addressed a similar problem with the Boy Scouts of America (the "BSA"), where a gay man tried to force the BSA to accept him as a registered scout leader. The BSA argued that it viewed his conduct in publicly announcing his homosexuality violated their freedom of association. The Supreme Court agreed, stating the BSA did not have to include a person into its organization who proclaimed things against the BSA's beliefs.

By the way, this information comes from Wiki not this topic. Admittedly, I wrote some of it, but I'm being lazy and don't want to find the original sources again.

The statement also permits institutions to impose "limitations of academic freedom because of religious or other aims," so long as they are "clearly stated in writing at the time of the appointment."[11] The six regional accreditors work with American colleges and universities, including private and religious institutions, to implement this standard. Additionally, the AAUP, which is not an accrediting body, works with this same institutions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_freedom

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 28th Aug, 2007 - 8:45pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Aug, 2007 - 11:21pm / Post ID: #

Mormons The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 2

QUOTE (tortdog @ 28-Aug 07, 12:14 PM)
Which associations are these?

I honestly cannot answer this right now. I can't remember what associations or organizations. However, I know that I regularly hear that BYU is rated as one of the most boring (least partying) schools, and as having the least amount of academic freedom.

Post Date: 29th Aug, 2007 - 12:17am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormons The Federal Marriage Amendment Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

However, I know that I regularly hear that BYU is rated as one of the most boring (least partying) schools

That's definitely true. Ranked #1 in the last ranking (thankfully)!

and as having the least amount of academic freedom.

I find that absurd, and would suggest those making those claims to be ignorant of the facts. Consider this:

* At BYU you have MORE freedom to discuss religious issues than almost any other university.

And that is very true.

I also heard from several people that al-Qaeda wasn't responsible for 9/11. Doesn't make it true, though.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,