Brunei Boxing

Brunei Boxing - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 10th Jan, 2015 - 10:38am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Brunei Boxing Brunei Boxing Ring
Post Date: 24th Jun, 2012 - 7:32am / Post ID: #

Brunei Boxing

Brunei Boxing

This Thread is about Boxing in Brunei.

How popular is Boxing in Brunei?

Where are the most common places that Boxers normally do recreational or professional Boxing in Brunei? Who are most recognized local Boxing associations or competitions at any level?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 10th Jan, 2015 - 10:38am / Post ID: #

Boxing Brunei

Name: JohnWilkinson

Title: Brunei Boxing

Comments: Brunei is a VERY TINY NATION! I was a national Coach in Brunei 1985, & 86. We competed at the 85 *Pesta Sukan in Singapore [Bungsu Piut won Gold medal for our program. SEEMS, that was 1ST Gold madal boxing, Internationally, ever, for Brunei. If I'm not mistaken. Bungsu was a lightwelter weight with us. ARMY DUTIES KEPT HIM BACK FROM THE XIII SEA Games at BANGKOK, however. (I was asked to take him on in competition despite he couldn't be with the team. I would of needed to be incompetent to of agreed to them sort of Terms!)]/We competed too at the noted SEA Games. 120 Athletes went from Brunei (Or 120 Athetes & Officials?) and we had three boxers, only. Ismail Ali at middleweight; Bakar Piut (Bungsu's older bro) [who brought me to about EIGHT WEDDINGS, my 11 months in Brunei] at Lightweight but...for the Thai event we moved him one weight div. Because of a SHORT FIELD; & we had our bantamweight star Ak. Abd.Rahman who, like Bungsu, was OUR BEST MAN ["Ring wise"]. Ak Rahman ALSO was in the Royal Brunei Armed Services. But, he went w/ us to Thailand.
Brunei won THREE BRONZE MEDALS THESE EVENTS. Each boxer medaled. No other ATHLETES, in ANY EVENTS, medaled that year.
We also had a Northeastern Collegiate boxing team come to Brunei in late Nov. 85 and that produced six competitions. John Callas (National College champ at Featherweight) fought Bakar (Won a decision) [Callas these days a FAME Referee] while Ak. Rahman met the National 112 lb champ Somkiat Sampan of VMI /by way of Thailand winning on a decision there.
Also, Ismail lost a decision vs Mike Paolin of Penn State. Paolin was a National College champion.

Source 1: (Personal experience)

> TOPIC: Brunei Boxing

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,