LynnEdwin Introduction - Page 2 of 3

JB, your question is one that's raised in - Page 2 - Introductions, Member Sharing - Posted: 7th Jun, 2006 - 7:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 6th Jun, 2006 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 38,032
Flag Posts: 51,689
Avg: 6.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 4,590.48 FP
Charm: 394

LynnEdwin Introduction - Page 2

You ask, why did I check "LDS?" I initially didn't. I checked "Baptist." But when I went into the "backroom" to read, and perhaps, participate in LDS gospel doctrine discussion, I was blocked, for concern that I would not know enough to participate. I do not intend to brag, but that's not the case. I do understand church doctrine.

Greetings. Your understanding of the Doctrine may be based on opinion since one can easily say that if you 'understand' then you would be a Member of the Church wink.gif. I mean no disrespect by that, I am merely stating the obvious. Now, above all of that we have rules here that must be enforced. As anyone who is not a Member of the Church can come in and say they have an understanding thus they must participate - not so.

As another example, we have a Mature LDS Board, that not even LDS Members can view unless certain criterias are met.

I do ask that you please respect our policy, which is there for a reason, and change your 'Religion' to your true belief system. If you wish to discuss LDS Doctrine in the matter of questions you may have then please proceed to the 'Studies of Latter-Day Saints Board".

We also have other Boards here for which general religion can be had: 'Bible Revealed', and many specific Religions - please see the Site Map. Thanks.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Hard Work | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Signature: Donate Please Support Our Efforts!
Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Jun, 2006 - 9:57pm / Post ID: #

Me
Diamond + Author
[?] CPosts: 3,526
Flag Posts: 4,033
Avg: 0.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 13.9%
[+] Gain: 200.00 FP
Charm: 226

Introduction LynnEdwin

I guess that I had misunderstood. Something that Sterling wrote or posted on his site indicated to me that you had been baptized into the LDS church. Your writings that are published there certainly convinced me of that.

So, I am curious, and am sure that you get this question all the time, but why haven't you been baptized yet?

I think that I read some of the accounts of the Ezekiel Conferences, and that you participated in at least one of them. Is that right? I haven't read any reports from them for a while now.

Anyway, it is nice to see you here. I hope that you will participate, as I know you have a lot of knowledge.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: LDS (Mormon) | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Sixty Something | Joined: Reg. 24th Aug, 2003 - 12:23pm
Signature:
Post Date: 6th Jun, 2006 - 10:26pm / Post ID: #

Diamond + Author
[?] CPosts: 2,053
Flag Posts: 2,535
Avg: 0.4 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 9.7%
[+] Gain: 4,034.80 FP
Charm: 111

LynnEdwin Introduction Sharing Member & Introductions

Hi Lynn, and welcome, I am sure that you will have a lot to share with us, I have just been enjoying your last posting, and look forward to seeing you around the forum.
Best wishes, Diane.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Female | Politics: Humanitarian
Tenet: Baptist | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 13th Oct, 2005 - 8:53am
Signature:
Post Date: 7th Jun, 2006 - 2:19am / Post ID: #

Diamond + Chief
[?] CPosts: 5,097
Flag Posts: 7,087
Avg: 0.9 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 24.2%
[+] Gain: 1,203.00 FP
Charm: 301

Page 2 Introduction LynnEdwin

Welcome to the Forum, Lynn! I'm sort of late jumping in welcoming you here, but it looks as if you will be a great asset to our discussions. I look forward to your contributions!

Welcome, and Enjoy!
Roz

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Female | Politics: Conservative
Tenet: LDS (Mormon) | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Sixty Something | Joined: Reg. 28th Jun, 2003 - 12:34pm
Signature: Don't miss out on a blessing because it's not packaged the way you expect.
Post Date: 7th Jun, 2006 - 11:44am / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

Introduction LynnEdwin

QUOTE (Nighthawk)
So, I am curious, and am sure that you get this question all the time, but why haven't you been baptized yet?

I am also interested in a reply to this since a true belief in the Book of Mormon requires action as it teaches that certain things must be acted upon. I am also interested in your true purpose for being here? "Building Bridges", is too vague. So, far you are mostly pointing towards those of your faith being open minded about certain Doctrines, that is fine, but then again why tell us that in 'Studies of Latter-Day Saints'? You need to tell it to 'them'.

I am not trying to be rude, just not sure of where you are progressing towards. Thanks.

Blog Read My Blog
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Post Date: 7th Jun, 2006 - 5:37pm / Post ID: #

Me
Member Learner
[?] CPosts: 5
Flag Posts: 11
Avg: 0.0 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 0.0%
Charm: 1

LynnEdwin Introduction

Trinidad writes,

I am also interested in a reply to this since a true belief in the Book of Mormon requires action as it teaches that certain things must be acted upon. I am also interested in your true purpose for being here? "Building Bridges", is too vague. So, far you are mostly pointing towards those of your faith being open minded about certain Doctrines, that is fine, but then again why tell us that in 'Studies of Latter-Day Saints'? You need to tell it to 'them'.

And, yes, Nighthawk, I speak often at the Ezekiel Conferences--which, by the way, have been renamed "Elijah Conferences."

Trinidad asks about our "Building Bridges" efforts, and for me to share a bit in more detail what we mean.

For starters, we sponsor a "Building Bridges Conference" typically somewhere in the U.S. on a monthly basis. Our purpose is, in one sense, rather modest: simply to get Book of Mormon Christians and Bible-believing Christians in one room together, so that hopefully healthy and constructive interchange can occur. We've been doing this through the Ezekiel-turned-Elijah Conferences as well. And we've been doing these conferences now for over two years. From the feedback we're getting from both camps, it's working.

Lots of stereotypes and misunderstandings and suspicions have come down. In other words, walls are coming down. Our conferences begin on a Friday evening and go all day Saturday, and typically break up sometime late Saturday afternoon, or early in the evening. We just completed another conference just this past weekend in Mt. Pleasant, Utah at the First Presbyterian Church. Had a great time.

We've had as many as 400 LDS brothers and sisters attend, and as few as 100--along with Protestant brothers and sisters. Our desire, or "agenda," is not to convert across the aisles, but simply to stop talking AT one another, and to begin listening to one another. Really listening. And much progress over the last two years has been made. Close (I would say--life-long) friendships have occurred.

Participating in "Building Bridges Conferences" is one thing I'm referring to when I mention our efforts. Our speakers are wonderful, I think. From both camps: Protestants and LDS. The late Hugh Nibley's son, Tom, has been a frequent speaker. Does a great job. One of the BYU professors in the religion department alsodoes a great job in speaking, Dr. Jim Birrell. The singer, Kenneth Copes, has been one of our favorites. And there are others.

Another thing I'm referring to when I say "building bridges" is--we also network with other groups, such as "Standing Together," an organization of over 100 evangelical ministers in the valley there in Utah who also see the need to offer the "olive branch" and mend fences. Greg Johnson, Baptist minister, spearheads the organization. President Hinckley has assigned one of the twelve apostles, Jeffrey Holland, to work with Brother Johnson. To work with especially some of our more prominent evangelical theologians. I'm saying--a group of evangelical theologians and BYU theologians have been meeting for these past five years simply to share and "build bridges." Some wonderful times and events have happened as a result.

For instance, Dr. Richard Mouw, President of Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California, has written the forward and afterward in Robert Millett's latest book: "A Different Jesus? The Christ of the Latter-day Saints." A thing unheard of a few years ago! Dr. Millett is a professor of Ancient Scripture at BYU. ! The two of them have become close friends.

This is big! Fuller Theological Seminary is perhaps the most prominent evangelical seminary in the U.S.

I'm saying--the theologians and academicians from both sides of the aisle are getting together on a regular basis. Have been for the past five or six years. Dr. Richard Mouw, also not too many months ago spoke at the Salt Lake Tabernacle and apologized for the years of false witness evangelicals have borne against Mormons. It's the first time in over 150 years that a Protestant minister has spoken from the pulpit in the SLC Tabernacle.

The evangelist. Ravi Zacharias, international evangelist, also spoke the same day as Dr. Richard Mouw at the Salt Lake Tabernacle. Dr. Zacharias is an evangelist in the Billy Graham mold. In fact, Dr. Graham invited Dr. Zacharias to speak three times in Amsterdam [1983, 1986, and 2,000] at the International Conference for Itinerant Evangelists. Yes, the international evangelist is in place.

The following is an excerpt from an article published in the Casper Star & Tribune in Wyoming on Friday 19th, November 2,004:

"
An evangelical preacher, philosopher and author has graced the pulpit at the Tabernacle on Temple Square in what a fellow speaker called an "historic occasion."  When Ravi Zacharias took the stage last weekend it was the first time in 105 years a preacher of another faith appeared in the pulpit of the Tabernacle.  Zacharias was invited by "Standing Together," a network of 100 evangelical churches trying to improve relations with members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  The lecture, where nearly 5,000 evangelicals and Latter-day Saints sat together on Temple Square, was heralded as the beginning of a new era to replace one of mistrust."

And not too long ago, Elder Jeffrey Holland spoke at Biola University to the faculty and student body. Biola is known for its "anti-Mormon" staunch position.

Walls are coming down.

Lots of networking and bridge building is occurring from lots of different groups on both sides of the aisle. I think it's a wonderful thing.

A friend of mine who's also a student at Fuller Theological Seminary just came back from BYU campus, having participated in a couple days dialogue with BYU Professors and students. My friend sent me an email:

Last month, Lynn, I was in Utah with a team from Fuller Theological Seminary for a couple of days of talks with leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints -- the Mormons -- and with professors and students at the
Church's Brigham Young University

And finally, Trinidad asks--what am I doing here?

I have no hidden agenda. I do not desire to "convert" anyone and make a Baptist out of any of us. I do enjoy talking and writing about the restoration gospel, Joseph Smith, and the Book of Mormon.

And I do have a favorite saying: It's my passionate belief that Bible-believing Christians and Book of Mormon Christians have far more in common than all our differences. Are there differences? Of course. But it's time we began celebrating our commonalities rather than continue magnifying our differences.

Lynn

Contribution: | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Unsure
Tenet: Baptist | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Not Given | Joined: Reg. 6th Jun, 2006 - 6:19am
Signature:
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th Jun, 2006 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

LynnEdwin Introduction - Page 2

First of all 'Trinidad' is a country, I am 'JB'.

Second, you have said a lot and although I appreciate the more detailed description it still has not really answered my question. I am not asking 'what you are doing here' since this is an International Community all are welcomed. What I am asking is how someone can say they embrace the Book of Mormon and still not be baptized a Member of the Church - you have not answered that.

In addition, (some of this I brought up in the Studies of LDS Board) is that you talk a lot about building bridges here, fine, but I believe the concept you want to introduce is not compatible with the way this Community is structured. We have Topics here that are subject focused. If you are trying to get more Christians to accept the Book of Mormon as the Word of God then I do not think talking about Baptist beliefs in the Studies of Latter-Day Saints does that. Please clarify.

Blog Read My Blog
Post Date: 7th Jun, 2006 - 7:30pm / Post ID: #

Me
Member Learner
[?] CPosts: 5
Flag Posts: 11
Avg: 0.0 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 0.0%
Charm: 1

LynnEdwin Introduction Introductions & Member Sharing - Page 2

JB, your question is one that's raised in C.S. Lewis's classic book, "Mere Christianity." Lewis makes a very intriguing comment. He says:

"It's not that we Christians disagree; it's that we disagree over the importance of our disagreements."

So true. And I predict my answers to your question will demonstrate what Lewis is saying. I believe-without attempting to put words in your mouth-that what's important to you is not in the least important to me. And likewise, what's important to me, is not important to you. This is not a criticism, but a mere observation.

To your question: why do I believe in the Book of Mormon and not become a member.

For three reasons, primarily:

1) To me, the Book of Mormon is the most non-sectarian book I"ve ever read. It's meant for all God's children; I.e., Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists, Episcopalians, Catholics, and Jews. It's not meant only for Mormons.

2) In all probability, I do not share your views on the significance of authority. Specifically, Presidential Succession. Don't get me wrong; I"m aware the issue of authority is paramount to any LDS. And I genuinely respect that. It's just not an issue with me. Again, we"re back to Lewis's classic maxim: what's important to you is not to me, and what's important to me is not to you. We"re not disagreeing. We"re disagreeing over the importance of our disagreements.

3) It's a matter of what's my passion. To use a sports analogy, most of my LDS friends are always trying to steal second before they reach first base. I"m saying-what good is it with my gang (evangelicals) if you"re always debating priesthood authority and church affiliation if they don't believe in the Book of Mormon. I say-first things first. Getting on first base to me means-embracing the Book of Mormon. Once we"re on first, then we"ll think about rounding the bases; I.e., discussing the meaning and significance of temple ordinances and their relationship to exaltation, etc.

As said, my passion is to help my evangelical brothers and sisters to embrace the Book of Mormon.

Lynn

Contribution: | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Unsure
Tenet: Baptist | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Not Given | Joined: Reg. 6th Jun, 2006 - 6:19am
Signature:
+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: LynnEdwin Introduction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,