Why Do People Fight Over The Bible?

Why People Fight Bible - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 20th Jun, 2006 - 11:34pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 17th Jun, 2006 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

Why Do People Fight Over The Bible if they know it speaks about peace?

Sponsored Links:
17th Jun, 2006 - 1:28pm / Post ID: #

Bible The Fight People Why

Mostly because of pride. One person or group "knows" that they understand the Bible. When another person or group explains that they "know" something else about the Bible and what it teaches, then conflict begins.

To top it off, many will quote the following scripture to justify their attempts to sway everyone else.

QUOTE (Jude 1:3)
Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

19th Jun, 2006 - 9:02pm / Post ID: #

Why Do People Fight Over The Bible? Revealed Bible The

I believe it has to do with three factors. Faith, ignorance, and contradiction.

Many Christians I have known have acquired a blind faith that is absolutely amazing. No matter what fact is presented to them about the Bible, they just keep repeating what their minister has taught them. They refuse to listen for fear of sinking like Peter when he tried to walk on water.

Then you have the fact that ministers don't always present the Bible exactly as written due to lack of knowledge or study. I've heard the Word twisted in my own church to fit the lesson many times.

And last, the Bible contradicts itself many times. The God of the Jews taught his chosen people how to fight, and kill, and take slaves. So it does not always speak of peace. What more could you do to cause controversy?

19th Jun, 2006 - 10:29pm / Post ID: #

Another point, in my opinion, why people fight over the bible, is the fact that for example, you could give a Bible to 10 different people, and they could go away and read it, and come back. Each one could have read the Bible and interpreted it to their own understanding. To my mind, this is why there are actually so many religions out there, all teaching from the Bible, but all coming up with a different conclusion.
This in turn leads to conflict, as each religion is convinced that only they have got the right conclusion and result from the Bible.

20th Jun, 2006 - 4:48am / Post ID: #

DianeC, this is from a book I read long ago. I don't remember the author, but it stuck with me.

How can we account for this persistence in the endless slaughter of the children of God in the name of a loving God who demands the end of the slaughter?
Comfortably, it turns out.  It's the difference between the true religion of the one God fighting against the evil heathens of the false god.
Ours is the former.  Theirs is the latter.It's true throughout history and from all sides toward the middle.  We are all someone else's heretic. 

20th Jun, 2006 - 7:33pm / Post ID: #

Thank you Mousetrails for sharing that, I think that it is so sad that the world has ended up nothing like God intended it to be.

After all, there is enough room for everyone, if everybody would only be more tolerant towards others' religious persuasions!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 20th Jun, 2006 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Why People Fight The Bible

Original Question

What an interesting and yet very amusing question. The vast majority of the Bible does not speak about peace but of war and violence ordained and sanctioned by god himself. Fighting over the bible fall right in line with the knowledge gained from the bible.

When you have a book that ordains the complete elimination of a group of people down to the last sheep, then you cannot expect anything less from the people who read it and take it literally. Besides, when you call a book perfect, and the consequences of wrong choices involve eternal punishment in a fiery hell for all crimes unforgiven, then you have to get it right. There is no room for you to be wrong. To justify your own salvation, you must defend your views on the book you cling to for that salvation.

Further, like MT said, if you have a book in which two completely separate ideas about the same subject are espoused, then you will have some take one side and some take the other, both completely convinced they are right. And religion is one of those subjects that people get hot about because there is no second chance to get your religion right, when you die, your dead, and you better have chosen right according to most religions or you will may for it. Isn't that motive enough to justify your beliefs vehemently?

> TOPIC: Why Do People Fight Over The Bible?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,