Is It Mormons Or Latter-day Saints?

Is Mormons Latter-day Saints - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th Jul, 2006 - 5:00am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Mormon, LDS Church, Mormonism - The Church of Jesus Christ or Latter-day Saints.
Post Date: 17th Jun, 2006 - 12:54pm / Post ID: #

Is It Mormons or Latter-Day Saints?

How are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints called?

Sponsored Links:
17th Jun, 2006 - 1:33pm / Post ID: #

Saints Latter-day Mormons Is

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints asks that people refer to members of the Church as "Latter-day Saints" or "LDS".

Personally, I prefer to be called a Mormon, as I seek to associate myself with what was taught in the Nineteenth Century, when people were happy to be called Mormons.

Post Date: 11th Jul, 2006 - 3:44am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Is It Mormons Or Latter-day Saints? Studies Doctrine Mormon

President Hinckley has asked that we call ourselves Latter-Day Saints, and has asked the world to call us, either Latter-Day Saints or LDS, that we need to get away from the nickname Mormon, we are not Mormons, we are Latter-Day Saints.

Post Date: 11th Jul, 2006 - 3:52am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Zelph, you seem pretty adamant that you are not Mormon while Nighthawk seems happy to be called Mormon. Does Mormon carry a negative connotation with it or is it something else about the name that bothers some but not others?

11th Jul, 2006 - 9:24pm / Post ID: #

Let me clarify something here. The Church does not want people to call the Church the "Mormon Church" but the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to emphasied that we are also Christians. Many LDS members, including Pres. Hinckley, have used the term "Mormon" as something "good" (he had an experience about it while on his mission). The term is discouraged on its use with the name of the Church, not necessarily in its use when you are describing a member of the Church.

Does Mormon carry a negative connotation with it or is it something else about the name that bothers some but not others?

No, it does not carry a negative connotation at all. It's just that the Church wants to let the world know that this is the Church of Christ and not "Mormon's Church".

Post Date: 19th Jul, 2006 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Someone described the differences like this, A Latter-Day Saint is someone who is keeping the Commandments to the best of their ability a true Saint (if you would), while Mormons are pretty much like Nicolations (see Revelation) they want to belong to the church, at the same time they like to live a worldly standard.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Jul, 2006 - 12:00am / Post ID: #

Is Mormons Latter-day Saints

I find that definition extremely insulting, unfair, and untrue.

However, this is not the place to discuss the whys and wherefores of why the characterization is so insulting.

20th Jul, 2006 - 5:00am / Post ID: #

Is Mormons Latter-day Saints Mormon Doctrine Studies

All I know is that we are nicknamed "Mormons" because of the Book of Mormon and not everyone knows that Mormons are actually in Fact members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints. From personal experience people automatically associate the Book of Mormon, polygamy and Joseph Smith with the word Mormon but when I say I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or I say I am LDS, people will ask more questions or would like to find out more about what LDS is or what Latter Day Saints really mean. You could also take into account that Christ's followers did not call themselves christians at first but that the Romans used that term to describe Christ's followers so the same may be likened to the term Mormon, due to the fact that our church distributes the Book Of Mormon.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Is It Mormons Or Latter-day Saints?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,