Metric vs Imperial: Weights & Measurements

Metric Imperial Weights Measurements - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 14th Mar, 2013 - 9:32am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Differences between how countries and people use various units.
Post Date: 13th Mar, 2013 - 8:00pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

international QUOTE
Do you guys really use pounds in real life? How can you deal with the rest of the world? What's so wrong about kilos and meters? They are too easy since you only have to divide by 10 instead of 12, 16 or whatever? Using feet and pounds drives me crazy....[help]).

Yes in the USA we use Pounds more often then not. I like the metric system but in school we are not thought it, well it dose show up for about 1 week in the younger years of school in basic math talked about as. "There is this other system but we don't use it. This is what it is, now moving on..." It also shows up in collage level math but again for only a bout 1 month if that.

I like it because it is base 10 but, having no real knowledge or experience with it the numbers and letters next to them are foreign to me and have no meaning. I understand pounds because when I go to a store that is what I have to order meat in or way my vegetables in to keep on budget. Pounds are what my scale reads when I go tot he doctors and holding an object I am fairly good at guessing its wait in my hand in pounds.

[Having] said all that, post it in your game however you like. I have no problem looking up a conversion chart for it if I want to know. But, I find it odd you used a none pound number as the Dungeons & Dragons books list all of there monsters in pounds on the pages describing the beasts.

And, by I like the metric system I mean I understand it on the most basic level because the Live Action Role Play Game I play in uses it for there coins just as Dungeons & Dragons dose:
10 copper = 1 silver, 10 silver = 1 gold.

Past that I don't understand one things about it other then a meter and yard are nearly the same, yard = 3 foot. Meter = 3 foot 3 inch and 3/8 inch. For people that know feet when they hear Meters they often treat it as yards and round down to do the math. This works fine for the common and non professional on a small scale, but not within a professional setting with exacting standards.

I hope this was helpful from a common America's point of view. And yes I graduated from collage.

Sponsored Links:
14th Mar, 2013 - 5:40am / Post ID: #

Measurements and Weights Imperial Metric

Thank you, Kit. So, actually you guys USE it. Is not only for game's sake. But, how can you guys cope with it? I mean: areas are in meter squares, volumes are in liters distances are in kilometers and that's all over the world. Not only. Tons for weight, kiloJaul, KiloWatt, Everything is on base ten because we have ten fingers in our hands. Just like a hundred cents are a dollar.
Also counting. You count by dozens, right?
I will try to do my best (my books used metrical, that depends from the country in which they are printed). The problem is not converting but having the ability to understand the real distance (weight is easier) when trying to be as realistic as possible. I will learn, eventually.

Post Date: 14th Mar, 2013 - 7:25am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Metric vs Imperial: Weights & Measurements UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Areas are in Feet and Yards or Acres and miles.
Examples: My house has 750 feet of space with in it. My property face is 50 feet wide, 150 foot deep. My farm is only a half Acre. There are 6 fast-food places within a half Mile of me. School race today every one will be running the 100 yard dash.

Volumes are in Liters and Cups, Ounces among many other units.

Distances are in miles or feet. GPS for example: 600 feet ahead trun right. In 3/10ths of a mile turn right.

Electricity is in kiloJaul, KiloWatt, but that is for people that work with it. I am an artist and it never comes up in my day other then when I go to a store to get a light bulb for the house. So I need a 60watt bulb, or a 70watt bulb. The numbers on the package and honestly I could not tell you what that means other then its unit of electricity and it means the bulb won't blow up in my lamp if I get the right kind.

international QUOTE
Everything is on base ten because we have ten fingers in our hands.

I wish!

Money yes. "hundred cents are in a dollar"
Yes everyone counts in/on a 10 scale. 10 20 30... 100 200 300... 1,000 2,000... 10,000 20,000... 1K 2K... 10K 20K... 100K... Quarter of a million = 250k, half a million = 500k, 1M so on.

"You count by dozens, right?"
Nope we do with only a couple things eggs. And baked goods. I go tot he store I want a half dozen eggs, 1 dozen eggs or maybe 4dozen eggs. I go to buy cookies I want the same units. Examples: cookies, donuts, eggs, bread rolls, muffins, and pastry tarts are all often sold in units of Dozens.

international QUOTE
The problem is not converting but having the ability to understand the real distance when trying to be as realistic as possible.

Again this is just from the average Americans day to day run in with units. I went to public school have a higher education from university, and do not have any job where as I am asked to use one type of units or another. Hope this helps you take a glimpse in to the wacky word of Unit use in the USA.

Post Date: 14th Mar, 2013 - 9:32am / Post ID: #

Measurements and Weights Imperial Metric

See this Thread for a Discussion on: Medieval Weights & Measures.

> TOPIC: Metric vs Imperial: Weights & Measurements

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,