Highest Kite Flown - Page 2 of 3

Name: Chriss Country: Comments: Highest kite - Page 2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 27th Sep, 2010 - 10:43pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 28th Nov, 2008 - 6:09pm / Post ID: #

Highest Kite Flown - Page 2

Name: Elltea

Comments: Phillip Kunz and his son, Jay, setting a world record in 1967 for the highest kite flight - 5.5 miles high.

Source 1: The Skousen Book of Mormon World Records

Sponsored Links:
28th Nov, 2008 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

Flown Kite Highest

The record for the highest single kite flown is 3801 metres (12,471ft).
for a train of kites 9740 metres (31,955 ft).

Now that is high!

Here is the link I found it one and some other cool kite facts.

Source 6

Bristol site claims 13600 for a single kite flown.
Source 9

Post Date: 9th Mar, 2009 - 8:44pm / Post ID: #

Highest Kite Flown UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Name: Nick

Comments: When I was a kid I added fishing line spool after spool to my kite for about a week. Tied it off at night on the gas meter on the side of the house. One night the line snapped somewhere up the line... followed the line through the neighborhood for blocks. Never found the end or the kite.

Post Date: 25th Apr, 2009 - 1:16pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Flown Kite Highest

Name: Bob

Comments: I would suggest you did not break the record nor get anywhere near it. It is not that simple. First of all the 12,471 ft "record" set in 1896 was not a single kite record but multiple kites on 1 line so is not a single line record nor is it the multi kite absolute record. (refer to Drachen Foundation for more information) The absolute record is 31,955 ft set by a train of 8 weather kites in Germany, 1919. Secondly, if you had Googled kite record you would have found reference to Richard Synergy's year 2000 record of 13,609 ft above ground level. His kite was 20 ft tall and 30 wide delta with a lifting area of 270 sq ft and flew on 270 lb Kevlar line. His record is registered by Guinness BoR. You may not be aware that to claim a kite altitude record, even unofficially, you need to measure the angle of the kite within 1 degree and also understand that the line develops a sag so that line out is not the same as the straight line distance to the kite. If your kite was flying on 18,000 ft of line at 30 deg then the altitude was 9,000 ft if the line was straight from reel to kite. With about 15% of the line length consumed by sag, the kite was probably no more than 6,000 ft above ground level.

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2009 - 8:32pm / Post ID: #

Flown Kite Highest

Name: Steve

Comments: 20 or so years ago, my brother and I were very into flying kites. We had several kites of all shapes and sizes. We also ties two spools of string together. 500 yards each. One windy day we went to the field near our house. After all the string was out we began to her a helicopter. We forgot about the Army reserve base only 1 mile away. We wound the string in as fast as we could because we could see the copter coming right at the kite. Just as the chopper pasted directly over the kite, the down force pushed the kite out of the way. Disaster avoided. All we could think was that the string would get caught in the blades and crash the chopper.

Post Date: 6th Apr, 2010 - 12:32am / Post ID: #

Highest Kite Flown

Name: Malachi

Comments: Where did you get the string [that can go so high]?

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Before submitting your comments please use good grammar - no net talk or slang, check your spelling and remember that names of places and people begin with an uppercase letter.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 12th Sep, 2010 - 12:46am / Post ID: #

Highest Kite Flown - Page 2

Name: Kirk

Comments: We had kite day at school I let my kite out 40,000 feet then I brought it back I was 9 years old it took all day to do that.

Post Date: 27th Sep, 2010 - 10:43pm / Post ID: #

Highest Kite Flown Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 2

Name: Chriss

Comments: Highest kite flown was 32,000 ft. The world record for kite height was set in 1919 by the German Weather Bureau, when a series of eight kites was lofted to an altitude of 31,955 feet (9740 meters). During the retrieval of the kites, the line broke when the tension reached 145 kilograms (319 pounds).

The single-kite record is 12,471 feet (3801 meters) by the US Meteorological Service in 1896.

In both cases, the kites were flown as part of weather observation programs. Kites were used for many years in meteorology, but today balloons, airplanes, and satellites have replaced them, and the kite altitude records still stand.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Highest Kite Flown

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,