Colombian Mormon's Asylum Plea Gets 3rd Look

- Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Aug, 2006 - 12:36am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

24th Jul, 2006 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

Colombian Mormon's Asylum Plea Gets 3rd Look

We always talk about our Church and feeling persecuted...what do you think is going on in this case? Do these people want a free pass to the US or do they have really strong reasons to seek asylum in Utah?

The letter that was hand-delivered in 2002 to the house in Colombia where Herbert Douglas Moscoso-Morales was staying contained an ominous warning.
Go away within 24 hours or be "eliminated."

"We know of all your political and informant activities for your Mormon cult," the letter stated.

That threat sent the teacher and his wife, Nancy, to Salt Lake City and started their legal battle to gain political asylum.

And, after a series of setbacks, they scored an important victory July 14: The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver reversed a decision that would have sent them back to Colombia and ordered the Board of Immigration Appeals to take another look at their case. The appeals court said the written death threat is objective evidence supporting "a well-founded fear of future persecution" should Herbert and Nancy return home.

Sponsored Links:
4th Aug, 2006 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

Look rd Plea Asylum Mormons Colombian

It is extremely difficult to tell what the real motivation is for anyone's actions. While I think that "asylum" is a very over used method of immigration, many, many times it actually is a true case of persecution that drives people towards the US.

The stories of asylum seekers always tear me up, as I find it difficult to decide whether or not they should be granted asylum.

However, knowing how difficult it is in Columbia, I tend to think that this family really does need asylum.

> TOPIC: Colombian Mormon's Asylum Plea Gets 3rd Look

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,