Book Of Mormon Movie

Book Mormon Movie - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Mar, 2009 - 2:08pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

The Journey: Volume 1. This thread is not for doctrine, it is solely for a review of the movie, cast, effects and so forth. You can mention the scriptural details as a passing comment.
6th Aug, 2006 - 9:45pm / Post ID: #

Book Of Mormon Movie

Book of Mormon Movie

I just saw this. I thought it was okay. They did a good job of capturing the story, but felt that in too many areas it was full of US culture such as when Nephi gets the idea to cover his face and then it become a joke. I understand that there must be humor, but one would have to see this from the perspective of a person not brought up in a US pop cultural environment to see where I am going with this.

I thought they could spend a little more money on the spiritual effects such as where angels appear or the picture of the finished ship. They could of also invited more people for the market scene with Lehi (it looked like he was talking to 5-8 people tops), it did not look realistic enough as to raise Laban's temper.

It is also interesting to note that Noah Danby's (nephi) past performances included a graphic gay-themed 2001 Showtime mini-series, "Queer as Folk". I thought the Church was straying way from actors that filled roles in these things?

How did you enjoy the movie?

Book Of Mormon Movie
Book Of Mormon Movie (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
7th Aug, 2006 - 2:46pm / Post ID: #

Movie Mormon Book

The movie was just okay. It is obvious that it is a low-budget movie but I think it could have been done more professionally. Of course, I am not an expert on the field so I do not want to sound like I am just critising but I found lots of parts in the movie to be very unrealistic. The example JB gave about the amount of people Lehi is speaking is one of them, what about Lehi's house? If you carefully pay attention you can see is a "modern" house fixed to make it look like an old time house. The acting was pretty good, specially the actor playing Laman (Mark Gallaher), I think he was the best and the most credible.

I thought the Church was straying way from actors that filled roles in these things?

The Church does not endorse the movie (a message appears at the beginning of the movie). It is only a commercial LDS theme movie and with only a $2 million dollar budget, the director created a miracle.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 7th Aug, 2006 - 2:47pm

7th Aug, 2006 - 8:08pm / Post ID: #

Book Of Mormon Movie Studies Doctrine Mormon

The interesting thing about this movie is if they had just paid closer attention to some simple things then it could have been quite a hit. For instance, Lehi's clothing and beard were extremely fake. His robe during the introduction had a design that made him look like one of those 70s peace activists. The beard was stiff and lacked the flowing real hair would have. They could have taken cues from Jesus of Nazareth or even other Church productions where the attire of everyone is pastel colors with beige, brown and dark blue / red being the primary assortment. In the movie the colors worn remind me of my Shiv Shakti site. You may think I am overly critical, but this is with good cause because:

1. Color options is not a budget thing - it is a choice by the costume designers

2. It was the FIRST thing that turned me off, and because the very first scene is in the market place you know that I was turned off from the start!

30th May, 2008 - 9:37am / Post ID: #

Movie Mormon Book

I actually liked the film. wink.gif

When I watch shows though I am not a good one to criticize them as I am not very observant that way. The thing I judge is whether I FEEL something. I did feel the spirit very strongly in one part especially and that was when Nephi was being shown a vision of his people and how they would be destroyed. I have always been sad about that part and wonder how he felt--but when I saw it there I thought they did a great job of showing his sorrow and love for his people/family.

My kids loved it. Like I said, it doesn't take much to entertain us--I do remember thinking that the costumes and such made me aware it was a low budget film.

16th Mar, 2009 - 2:08pm / Post ID: #

Movie Mormon Book

I really liked it too. I look more for if the story teaches what we need to learn rather than if they got all the details right so they did a good job here.

> TOPIC: Book Of Mormon Movie

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,