Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 15 of 22

Name: Yechiel Country: Comments: It is necessary - Page 15 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 3rd Jan, 2011 - 3:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 22 pgs.  11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...Latest (22) »
Trinidad Homeschooling
Post Date: 5th Nov, 2010 - 12:28am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 15

Name: Tomari

Comments: I spent quite some time reading this entire thread tonight. I laughed when I saw that I had posted a comment on July 25, 2008. Since then I have not homeschooled my son. Mainly because of financial reason but I am actively involved in his education. I tend to ignore his "lesson from school" and I am his "lessons" teacher. The results has been that he completes his homework at school as it is not challenging. I suggest that the parents who are considering homeschooling or are not pleased with the education their children are receiving, should acquire a syllabus. The best place for this is from a student who is studying to be a teacher at a university. Usually, they are given a syllabus to complete an assignment as part of their degree. Going to the Ministry or experienced teachers ( in my experience) is a lost cause. Another way to "acquire" the syllabus is to look at several text books for your child's age group and make a list of the topics. The topics that coincide are usually the topic for that level.
To tackle the problem of attending university the child will write the O level and A level as a private candidate. The dates and times are published each year in the daily newspapers. Your child can write privately once he/she is in possession of an ID (passport). If you decide to send him/her to secondary school the he/she can write the SEA exam as a private candidate. November of the year prior to the year of exam is the allotted time for registration. Again the child is required to have a passport (national id is given at age 16 remember). Registration takes place at the area Education office.
Socialization? The children are so varied in my son's class that I have observed that he "makes friends" with the kids who are doing the same extra curricula activity as he. Incidently, they do not belong to his school. How much more comfortable will your child be interacting with kids who are learning to play a musical instrument as oppose to the kids in his class who thinks he is a "sissy" for doing so. Think about that. Good luck to all. Would love to join a Central support group.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Nov, 2010 - 11:08am / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Name: Rebekah

Comments: Hi, I live in central Trinidad and I am currently home schooling my three children; ages 8, 6 and 4. I have had a mixed experience but I am not yet ready to throw in the towel. I think it can be a very rewarding experience for them as they learn quickly and are quite independent.

I am looking for others wanting to start a group in central. [..]

11th Nov, 2010 - 12:08pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Hi Rebekah, congratulations in homeschooling your kids! Any particular reason you decided in homeschooling them?

Post Date: 2nd Jan, 2010 - 3:55pm / Post ID: #

Page 15 Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Name: Yechiel

Comments: I am a teacher in the secondary system in Trinidad. I have been passionate about homeschooling my children from the beginning. They are 11 and 3years. I tried it for a short time after being frustrated with the system of education here and discovered it suited my child though friends and family ranted that I was denying the child the opportunity to have a normal schooling. I have done lots of research into homeschooling, extra curricula activities, syllabus as well as looking at Trinidad's Education Act. I am not interested in my children sitting the SEA exam though for the sake of further education they will write GCE O and A levels exam privately. There are so many educational options available and internet introduces more daily though I must admit taking a leap away from the local education system is somewhat scary.

2nd Jan, 2010 - 4:07pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Hi Yechiel, it's great to hear about another parent who homeschools! How do you go about teaching full time and home schooling? I am also a Secondary School Teacher but waiting to be placed at the moment. Which area in Trinidad are you located? Are you home schooling at the moment? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Post Date: 2nd Jan, 2010 - 9:02pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago

Name: Niki

Comments: Hi guys, it is so refreshing to know that so many other parents are sharing my positive sentiments about homeschooling. I am a mother of four who I started homeschooling in April 2009 when my sons ages 7 and 8 were in Standard 1 and 2 in a private school near where we live. I have experienced difficult and trying times but no regrets. I live in the West and associate with a group of homeschooling moms who live primarily in the East but who share my passion. Having their support and a forum for the exchange of ideas is indeed a blessing (we meet every Friday)another plus of course is that our children get to socialize. I am a qualified teacher registered with the Min. Of Education, but for all the families out there who are comtemplating this decision, it doesn't matter, you don't necessarily have to be. As long as you are interested and invested enough in your child and you have good curriculum to follow( I used Sonlight for a while) you will be fine.
All the best to those of you who have already undertaken this endeavour. God's richest Blessings to you and your little ones.
For those of you "in two minds" about it take the plunge I procrastinated for a while but what I have learnt is that a parent is, in most cases, their child's best teacher.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Jan, 2011 - 12:46am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago - Page 15

international QUOTE (JoePublic @ 2-Jan 11, 5:02 PM)
Name: Niki

I live in the West and associate with a group of homeschooling moms who live primarily in the East but who share my passion. Having their support and a forum for the exchange of ideas is indeed a blessing (we meet every Friday)another plus of course is that our children get to socialize.

Hi Nikki, I am glad to read you are enjoying homeschooling. It is also great to hear about other homeschoolers in Trinidad! Could you please contact me through our contact page? I am interested in knowing more about this group that meets on Friday in the East. Thanks.

Contact Us

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2011 - 3:41pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 15

Name: Yechiel

Comments: It is necessary at present for me to work so I tailor my child's studies to suit my schedule. He normally gets up about four o'clock so we start at five and I teach him the concept of whatever topics we have time tabled then when I leave for school about 8 he does exercises or computer work until about 9:45. When I leave he is supervised by his father either at home or at his work site. We both take him to extra curricula activities in the evening.

> TOPIC: Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,