Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 7 of 22

Thanks LDS,I think he would enjoy the field - Page 7 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 3rd Oct, 2010 - 9:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 22 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...Latest (22) »
Trinidad Homeschooling
Post Date: 15th Oct, 2009 - 12:18pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 7

Name: Ulan

Comments: Do you have a list of home schools in the East, mostly likely Trincity?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Aug, 2010 - 2:44pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Name: TriniTiff

Comments: Just wondering how everyone is going with the home school approach. I have a seven year old who is going to start Standard 1. He goes to private school and from day one I have not been happy with his school... And looking at other ones I am not pleased with the whole education system here. Would love to find a way to work with others and figure out how to home school and still have him write his SEA's...?

Post Date: 1st Oct, 2010 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Hi, LDS while you are right about the laws in Trinidad not being absolutely deadlocked against homeschooling it may still present a challenge I mean what about term tests that are usually carried out by the ministry of education and the all important SEA exam,private schools are all well and good there is one in my area but they are very expensive and there is a long waiting list.

1st Oct, 2010 - 2:44pm / Post ID: #

Page 7 Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Hi Pamela. You should find out with the Ministry of Education. In the past, I had students (I am a teacher) who were homeschooled and then allowed to take the SEA exam. It all depends on what you want to do.

Personally and at the present time, I am not interested in my kids taking the SEA exam (I do not like the local system of education) or following the local curriculum. Since I have kids with special needs, my method is unschooling following a US system.

1st Oct, 2010 - 5:37pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

From Pamela's Intro thread:

international QUOTE
He doesn't have any special needs he is an amazing reader,he is a bit slow at writing but I want to start giving him short passages to write while giving him a time limit to complete it

He is only 6 so there is no much to worry about. My son does not like to write and he does it very slowly, what I do is giving him sentences instead of short passages, they look easier and can help improve his penmanship.

I would suggest you to make LOTS of research about homeschooling and choose a method that will work out for your son. Some kids do great with a formal curriculum of every subject (which you could get from a teacher) and others like my son does best with unschooling (not formal curriculum and teaching lots of other things in and out the curriculum).

About the SEA exam, I would advise to visit the Ministry of Education (don't bother to call) and find out what is the process of getting your child taking that exam if you choose to home school.

It's a long road ahead of you but I believe is well worth it, particularly for us folks here in Trinidad who has to deal with safety issues at school, not only from school peers but also from some ignorant and barbaric teachers.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. smile.gif

Post Date: 1st Oct, 2010 - 5:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thank you LDS for all your advice, I'll visit the ministry next week and I'll talk to his teacher from last term and see what advice he has to offer he was very nice to my son and always kept an eye on him, I'll let you know of my progress, one more thing what teaching methods would you recommend I have come across a few mentioned here but anything you can tell me will be helpful.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Please make sure a space is after each period or comma so your text is not all jumbled together. See Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Oct, 2010 - 5:04pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago - Page 7

international QUOTE (Pamela @ 1-Oct 10, 1:56 PM)
One more thing what teaching methods would you recommend I have come across a few mentioned here but anything you can tell me will be helpful.

It all depends on your child. Some kids learn better through images and games and others learn more through a more traditional approach. You need to try different methods and see which one is the best one for your kid.

Learning should be fun and since you have internet access there are many places such as virtual museums, etc that you can utilize. And don't forget field trips! smile.gif

Post Date: 3rd Oct, 2010 - 9:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 7

Thanks LDS,I think he would enjoy the field trips and the learning videos and such,I'm going to his school tomorrow to speak to the principal and see what's going on from there.

> TOPIC: Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,