Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 9 of 22

We're in the central area so going - Page 9 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 8th Oct, 2010 - 2:42am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 22 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (22) »
Trinidad Homeschooling
6th Oct, 2010 - 2:46am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 9

international QUOTE (lordryoko @ 5-Oct 10, 10:23 PM)
Are you aware that students have individual tables and chairs now? Those old wooden cupboards are a thing of the past. Individual classes have a black/green board and a white board. I can list a lot of things that are common now in our classes and schools. Yes those things are normal in schools now. At least the schools I see now.

This part of your post truly surprises me. I have seen many schools, both as a parent and as a teacher and what you are describing are things I have seen in private schools, certainly NOT a typical government school so it leaves me wondering where did you see these things you are describing (area).

international QUOTE
Some of the older schools are getting there, at least we have the furniture.

I have been here in Trinidad for a long time now, and some of these schools remain EXACTLY in the same condition so really it's not an issue of time in my opinion.

international QUOTE
I am one who can tell you that the teachers who are hitting children still are quickly becoming the minority. The Ministry is very strict about that.

How exactly is the Ministry very strict about teachers hitting students and how do you know they are quickly becoming the minority?

international QUOTE
I really wish that you do not imply what you think I am thinking. I gave my opinion and was specific in some parts. Debate me on those things and I will have no problem.

Actually I did but then you are talking about individual classes (not shared), white boards, etc and it's almost like both of us are experiencing completely different things.

international QUOTE
I don't know where she got her facts that all schools are unsanitary because I can tell you that is certainly not so.

I would like to believe that your opinion/experience goes beyond the present school you are teaching because certainly, Pamela's comments are VERY true in my experience. I do not recall even ONE school that I have seen where I can say they have proper bathroom facilities for the children. It's almost like both of us are talking about the experiences in two different countries because certainly, what you are describing so far (in my opinion) doesn't sound like Trinidad.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Oct, 2010 - 2:35am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

I did not mean to imply that all schools are unsanitary, I apologize for any offense, the schools that I sent my son to were, the first school the toilets were so bad some of the doors were hanging of the hinges, the second school I sent him to there was always garbage on the ground and the bins were always overflowing I remember one bin staying full for an entire week and the security told me that the workers who maintained the school property would usually empty that in and they didn't come that week and the school cleaners said they were not emptying it, anyway I went to my sons' school on Monday, nothing was resolved I was told to come back yesterday with my son, we did go and sat in the office for two and a half hours waiting to see the principal when we finally went in to see her I was informed that his teacher left and may not be returning, I was told to come back today, we went back again and the principal was not there we were sent to speak to two senior teachers and they said that the principal was not handling the situation appropriately, that she should have resolved the situation on Monday when my husband and I and the teacher was on the compound, I have decided I'm not going back I'll go to the ministry file a formal complaint and let them take it from there, I am not sure what I'm doing as far as school is concerned, I don't want to take my son away from being around other children but I don't want to have to deal with the same situation again. My son was showing me his reading text book this evening, it is provided by the school he told me his teacher had given him a good book and then she took it away and gave him an old one, the book he has now is torn and there is writing on it, I guess she just doesn't like him for some reason, when a child is picking on another child that's one thing but when it's the teacher that's doing it what can we expect for our children's future. In my son's class they have wooden desk that the children share they don't have individual seats and some of the desk is the ones that are used for first year infants, that's the desk my son was sitting on and he isn't small, he would have to squeeze himself onto the desk and put his school bag on the floor.

8th Oct, 2010 - 12:17am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I have nothing against anyone wants to homeschool their children but I'm feeling that thy need to be sure that they aren't leaving out something they may need later in life. There are lots of things that you learn in school that you might not get from being home.

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2010 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 9 Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

I understand that home schooling a child takes them away from being around other children and making friends around their same age group, but in the case of my son being around other children is one of the problems being hit and his money, snacks and stationary being taken away, do you know that on the first day of school at the beginning of the school term his eraser and sharpener was taken away by another student, this is what he has been going through since he started primary school. All I want is for my son to be comfortable at his school to be treated fairly as is his right and to be allowed to learn without having to deal with reprucusions of being in a learning environment simply because he is well behaved and non-aggressive, I want him to be around children, I want him to establish friendships and relationships but not at the cost of his peace of mind and not at mine either, my son is scared by his experience at school thus far, school is supposed to be a happy fun learning experience for a child not a frightening one.

8th Oct, 2010 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Maybe the issue then is not actually going to school but going to the right school. There should be schools in Trinidad where that doesn't happen.

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2010 - 1:58am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I hope so, I'm going to look at some schools on a Monday even though I will be keeping an open mind about homeschooling I was speaking to family friend who is a retired teacher and she suggested that I not take him out of an environment where he is able to interact with other children, she said it's the only way to get him to be brave and start standing up for himself, I want him to enjoy his childhood not have to look back on it when he is grown as being a bad experience and not having forged any real friendships. I don't understand why some children are so mean, I guess it's because parents are to busy to instill the proper principles and values in their children.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Oct, 2010 - 2:34am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago - Page 9

I've heard about some really great schools mostly in POS and the West. If you're in those areas you should be able to find something but I know they're also very expensive.

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2010 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 9

We're in the central area so going to school that far away is out of the question and then I can't afford them, I was looking up a couple of them, they sound great. Thanks for the suggestion though.

> TOPIC: Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,