Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 10 of 22

Pam, Lordr and the rest: I think we're - Page 10 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 11th Oct, 2010 - 1:02pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 22 pgs.  6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...Latest (22) »
Trinidad Homeschooling
8th Oct, 2010 - 2:50am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 10

Why don't you open you're own school or you can even partner with someone and start something where you can decide what the standards are for the pupils.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 8th Oct, 2010 - 3:09pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Hey, I think you all are missing the point. It's not how well the facilities are, or how qualified the teachers are. It's the simple fact that Parents are best suited to educate their progeny. See what Socrates (yeah the dead Greek guy) has written on the formalization of the education process; see what John Gatto ( an NYC teacher with over 29 years experience) has written in his letter "I Quit, I think". See what Einstein has said. Realize that Thomas Edison had only 3 months of schooling. Then... Then, look at your kids; look at the society; see if you're happy with what their lives will become if they're left there. It's not just about how much money they will make or how well they will be able to 'provide' for their own children. Life is much more than that. Look back into your own childhood; deep back. Get intimate with it. Were you truly happy with your school life? Sure you made some great friends. So do prisoners of war in an enemy prison. Their friens are all they have, because we, as parents, have ABANDONDED them. It may not seem like it at first, but look and think...

8th Oct, 2010 - 3:38pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

That's a nice way at looking at it Dexter. Were you home schooled or are you home schooling your children now? I still don't think home schooling is for every parent though because not all are educated enough to do that.

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2010 - 5:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 10 Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Indian Chick: Well put. As the Americans would say, "ditto". Most parents are not 'educated' enough or open-minded enough to facilitate their children's acquisition of knowledge. Sad. That of itself is an indictment on the modern system of education.

Unfortunately, I was not home schooled, but was so sickly in my youth that I spent considerable time away from school - that's when my real learning took place. Yes, I did go to a 'prestige' secondary school (St. Mary's College) and have an Honours Degree from UWI. But still, I would say that I missed out on a real education.

I work for myself, so I am more flexible than most. My two girls (4 and 5) are not yet home-schooled, but I'm working on it, and I believe if I give it enough effort something would materialise. There are no quick answers or easy formulae. The education of a child is always and experiment. I love my children too much to put them through the 'lessons-from-Std-3-upwards-to-SEA' drill. It eats away at the only single childhood we have.

God bless

10th Oct, 2010 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

There are some great schools in the West such as the International School of Port of Spain, Maple Leaf and Dunross. Yes quite pricey but you don't have to worry about these issues.

I support homeschooling because I think a parent (if qualified) is the best teacher for their kids.

Post Date: 10th Oct, 2010 - 11:27pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I think that a good dose of common sense and a bit of book sense is enough for any parent to home school their child, primary school teachers usually have a secondary school education and a diploma, I think most people can say they have a secondary education and of course common sense can't be replaced by any amount of schooling, in the case of my son he is intelligent but he is not being given the opportunity to reach his full potential and that is all a parent wants for their child, for them to reach their full potential, to realize their dreams and at the end of the day be happy with what they have achieved whether it's at public, private or home school.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Oct, 2010 - 3:17am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago - Page 10

What we must also realise is that no single system is perfect. What we individually have to do is sort out the pros and cons, then decide which you prefer. Now I have interacted with quite a few people who have been home schooled here, so I know there is a legal way to do it. As I said before, the Ministry of Education is the place to go, to find out exactly what must be done.
LDS I am not going to argue with you about where, which school and so on about where I know these things are real. I have been a teacher here for some time, so even though I am on the inside per say, I know what I am talking about. As I did say, things of course can always be better but to say that things are as barbaric as you say is not true.
Pamela as I said before, I honestly think that you maybe a 'happier' home schooling your child. A lot of the worries and concerns you have will not be there at home. The biggest argument against home schooling is they say that the child will lack social skills. Maybe it is true,maybe it is not but think about it. Can you watch people in society and identify those who have been home schooled or not? I don't think so, in other words they grow up to be as normal as the next person.

Post Date: 11th Oct, 2010 - 1:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 10

Pam, Lordr and the rest: I think we're all on the same page basically. The socialization thing bothered me a bit so I did some research, both third party and by direct observation. What has emerged is that children can experience negative socialization in schools. For instance, in public schools they can learn to push and compete in a negative and overly agressive manner (I call this the Cafeteria Effect), while in the 'upscale' private schools they may assimilate false values (the We Have a Bigger Pool Than You All effect). I think sufficient positive socialization can be achieved by visiting the public playgrounds with your kids as well as arranging private gatherings such as BBQs where they can interact with other children, not necessarily all of the same age group.

Two weeks ago, while my wife was abroad, my two girls and I (4 and 6) spent a week-end at a beach house in Balandra with three other families. One family had two girls ages 9 and 12, and another had girl twins 8 years old. One couple had no kids. Their interaction was fantastic. The 12 year old assumed the role of mother; the 9 year old became the swimming instructor; and the twins, normally very reticent, became quite gregarious. My girls soaked it all up and had a great time. It was also great for the grown-ups - we had time off smile.gif

My girls also learnt about the Nintendo DSi console. I am normally an anti-computer gaming person, but when I saw the educational benefits of this device with it's built in cameras and photo editing capabilites, I immediately got them one each. It's been great. I plan to do a lot more of this. For those with older children, the best way your kids can learn is by trying to teach others. I know, I used to teach I.T. At UWI and it worked for me with adults there. It also worked for American innovativeness - think small town, one room schools in the Prairie States and you will understand. It's where the innovators of today's parents were raised.

> TOPIC: Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,