Students Attend Seminary To Learn About Mormons

Students Attend Seminary Learn Mormons - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Aug, 2006 - 2:28pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 21st Aug, 2006 - 10:39pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Students Attend Seminary To Learn About Mormons

STUDENTS ATTEND SEMINARY TO LEARN ABOUT MORMON FAITH
See https://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=73254434111509

BOISE, Idaho - High school students interested in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints don't have to be enrolled in a private or parochial school to study the faith. All they have to do is walk a few short yards from their school to the nearest seminary building. Seminary is a 94-year-old program held during school hours for high school students. "The whole purpose is to help (the students) feel faith and have a closer relationship with Jesus Christ," said Mel Thompson, director of seminary for western Idaho.

Sponsored Links:
22nd Aug, 2006 - 2:28pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Learn Seminary Attend Students

Seminary can be a great program for youth within the Church to learn about the Bible - both Old and New Testaments, the Book of Mormon, and Church History (with the Doctrine and Covenants).

They spend an entire school year studying the Old Testament, then study the New Testament the following year.

Since seminary is a 4-year course, tied to normal High School years, the course of study is a constant cycle through the 4 subject areas.

There are ways to graduate after 4 years with a graduation certificate, as well as graduating with honors. Every year that a student attends seminary there is an opportunity for them to "letter" (receive honors) for performing well above average. "Lettering" normally includes such activities as reading the entire book of scripture that is being studied (I am not sure if ALL the Old Testament is required), memorizing a certain set of scripture verses, and meeting a minimum attendance standard.

Most seminary students aren't as lucky as the students in Boise, Idaho. The vast majority of students attend early in the morning, before going to school. In the case of my son, that means that he must be at the chapel for the class before 6:10 AM.

I went through, and graduated from, Seminary. I attended in southern Idaho and in California. I found it to be a very edifying and instructive experience.

> TOPIC: Students Attend Seminary To Learn About Mormons

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,