Oscars

Oscars - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 3rd Apr, 2007 - 5:09am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 8th Sep, 2006 - 12:16pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Oscars

DEGENERES TO HOST 2007 OSCARS

Ellen DeGeneres has reason to dance, after being chosen to host the 2007 Oscars on Thursday.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006...res-oscars.html

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 10th Oct, 2006 - 9:05am / Post ID: #

Oscars
A Friend

Oscars

Its so hard for me to get excited by the Oscars. Every year I do watch I am disappointed at the movies that get the nominations and the awards. The movies I prefer are usually darker and in my opinion better than the popular movies that win the awards. Thus my favorite movies of the year never win anything at the Oscars. In place, I see movies that are neither original, unique, or have excellent acting win Oscars year after year. The last year I was OK with it was when saving private ryan won. But the year Shawshank Redemption lost out to Forest Gump I was so upset because Shawshank was such a better film in my opinion.

23rd Jan, 2007 - 6:16pm / Post ID: #

Oscars Sports & Fashion Music Movies

This is the list of some nominees for the Oscars 2007 and no, Dakota Fanning was not nominated neither the movie she was on. Is anyone surprised? rolleyes.gif

Best Picture

* Babel
    * The Departed
    * Letters from Iwo Jima
    * Little Miss Sunshine
    * The Queen

Best Actor

* Leonardo DiCaprio, Blood Diamond
    * Ryan Gosling, Half Nelson
    * Peter O'Toole, Venus
    * Will Smith, The Pursuit of Happyness
    * Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland

Best Actress

* Penelope Cruz, Volver
    * Judi Dench, Notes on a Scandal
    * Helen Mirren, The Queen
    * Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
    * Kate Winslet, Little Children

Best Supporting Actor

* Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine
    * Jackie Earle Haley, Little Children
    * Djimon Hounsou, Blood Diamond
    * Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
    * Mark Wahlberg, The Departed

Best Supporting Actress

* Adriana Barraza, Babel
    * Cate Blanchett, Notes on a Scandal
    * Abigail Breslin, Little Miss Sunshine
    * Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
    * Rinko Kikuchi, Babel

Best Director

* Alejandro González Iñárritu, Babel
    * Martin Scorsese, The Departed
    * Clint Eastwood, Letters from Iwo Jima
    * Stephen Frears, The Queen
    * Paul Greengrass, United 93

Complete list of nominees:

https://www.people.com/people/package/redca...0009141,00.html

Any favorites? I heard Will Smith did a great job in the movie " The Pursuit of Happyness".

26th Feb, 2007 - 4:34am / Post ID: #

Oscars

Watching the Oscars right now, it has not finished, but here are some thoughts:

1. This must be the most politically driven Academy Awards I have ever seen.
2. I could not understand the constant focus on Al Gore.
3. Okay, so the Academy Awards is 'green' now, but maybe some of those speaking so big should come and discuss the real issues given in the Global Warming Thread and leave the Academy awards for movies and actors.
4. There seemed to be an emphasis on who is lesbian... or am I just not used to it yet?

27th Feb, 2007 - 2:56am / Post ID: #

Oscars

JB, that pretty well sums up the awards show for me. The part I loved is that I just read this article after watching the show, so the focus on Al Gore hit with a taste of irony after having read it:

POWER: GORE MANSION USES 20X AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD; CONSUMPTION INCREASE AFTER 'TRUTH'
Mon Feb 26 2007 17:16:14 ET

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, an independent, nonprofit and nonpartisan research organization committed to achieving a freer, more prosperous Tennessee through free market policy solutions, issued a press release late Monday:

Last night, Al Gore's global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore's mansion, [20-room, eight-bathroom] located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh-more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh-guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore's average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore's energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore's extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore's mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

"As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk to walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use," said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

Talk about inconvenient timing for a inconvenient truth!

It is unfortunate that Ellen Degeneris, who is quite funny in standup comedy, has become relegated to being the Lesbian spokesperson everywhere she goes. They finally did right by Scorsese as he should have won long ago! I liked it better when Letterman, Beavis and Butthead were the host.

2nd Mar, 2007 - 4:35pm / Post ID: #

Oscars

I feel the Oscars has been in decline for some time. For me it is way too politically driven, if not in the presentation itself, certainly in the choice of winner.

A good example of this is Martin Scorcese picking up best director for The Departed. Can anyone please explain to me how this movie was remotely better directed than Babel or Eastwood's Japanese war flick? I"m surprised it even received a nomination. As far as Scorcese movies go, this was very average and uninteresting with tired cliches and an un-inspirational plot. I have no doubt Scorcese deserves an Oscar for some of his past films, but this was not the time.

I felt Babel was a way better film not just in direction but also in the pictures category. However, films like that are perhaps not mainstream enough or part of the Oscars "club".

I felt the best actors were worthy winners, but the selection does puzzle me. I remember when Denzel Washington won it for that average movie he did when he should have won it for other films in the past. But that year was the year African American actors were due.

As for Ellen, I didn't see the ceremony because it bores me too much. I agree with previous sentiments that it is a real shame she has become the de facto lesbian spokesperson.

Don't know if I agree with Gore making political statements in a movie awards ceremony. And it is true that all these "green" Hollywood movie stars won ridiculous mansions that consume massive amounts of energy, so this whole Hollywood climate change bandwagon is a bit hypocritical. Driving around a Toyota Prius doesn't make you a friend of the environment. It makes you look fickle when you park it into a multi-story Beverly Hills castle.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Apr, 2007 - 5:09am / Post ID: #

Oscars

I don't see how "An Inconvenient Truth" was worthy of Oscar awards. They should have named it "The Al Gore Show." It was more about his life and his slide-show pursuit of global warming recognition than it was about global warming itself. Ridiculous!

> TOPIC: Oscars

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,