Winston Dookeran

Winston Dookeran - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 3rd Nov, 2006 - 10:03pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
Trinidad Politics Could Winston Dookeran be the next Prime Minister of Trinidad & Tobago or is he fighting a losing battle? Does he have what it takes to win?
Post Date: 9th Sep, 2006 - 5:44pm / Post ID: #

Winston Dookeran

Winston Dookeran

What are your thoughts about Winston Dookeran? Can he lead the country as the next Prime Minister? Does he have major support? What is the real reason for his not being able to be one with the UNC?

Official Web Site: https://www.winstondookeran.com/

Winston Dookeran
Winston Dookeran (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
27th Oct, 2006 - 12:28pm / Post ID: #

Dookeran Winston

At first I thought that we may have had a chance with this man, but his public appearances do not come with the kind of clout one needs to be a strong leader in a nation full of anyhowness. In fact, I find his 'way' of doing things to be almost the same as the typical Trinidadian, and if you have read how I feel about Trinidad in general then you will know what I am talking about. To answer Rasta - I think he does not have any chances of taking over government.

27th Oct, 2006 - 2:25pm / Post ID: #

Winston Dookeran Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

The guy lacks strength, his attitude is "whatever" for most things. He needs a stronger personality. Just as JB said, I think the guy does not stand a chance to take Government any time soon.

2nd Nov, 2006 - 9:56pm / Post ID: #

Dookeran Winston

I guess I have conflicting feelings about Mr. Dookeran. I am a supporter for several reasons. First, I welcome new faces into the political arena. We have given the others enough chances, and I prefer to take a chance on someone new. Also, even though he is not overly charasmatic, his personality is open. He is willing to chat with anyone, get feed back for what he can do to improve the party etc...not ignorant in the least. He is also very down-to-earth...something which is lacking in men like Mr. Manning and Mr. Panday. I like the fact that he isnt into bacchanal. I think thats the part most people dont like about him. He acts like a leader..not like a man walking out of a rumshop. Trinidadians feel the need to witness a live soap opera rather than responsible men in power.

On that note, I think he lacks appeal with the public partially because of his appearance. If I saw him anywhere and didnt know who he was, I would think he was a stressed out, and I hate to say it...intoxicated. I would never think he was an educated, well respected politician. No matter what...the public has to be able to look at a leader making speeches, meeting with foreign leaders on an international level etc. So I think he needs to work on his appearance.

He does, however, have the support of the younger generation. These days I am suprised to hear anyone in my age group speak badly about him. Although this is a good sign, I agree that he will not be Prime Minister anytime soon. Give him a couple years in office. If the same parties exist, I think he can do it

2nd Nov, 2006 - 10:20pm / Post ID: #

Dookeran Winston

QUOTE (Cookie)
First, I welcome new faces into the political arena.

Is he really new? He was with the UNC, he brakes away and then forms a sub party based on disgruntled UNC members? That does not seem to be new.

So I think he needs to work on his appearance.

Point noted, but I was thinking more along the lines of speech classes and maybe something to give him zest. The point is that Parliament is a bacchanal place and if you are not party to talking the 'talk', then the people there will embarrass you, so I believe that Trinidadians are looking to see him dish out some talk or in local terms: 'see if he can handle his stories'.

3rd Nov, 2006 - 3:20am / Post ID: #

Winston Dookeran

I do consider him new. He has never been given the opportunity to lead. And he was not a UNC member for a lengthy period either.

And believe me, I am not a fan of some of the rejects he welcomed into his party. But if he is as respectible as I hope he is, then his attributes may rub off *wishful thinking*

I agree what you said about speech classes as well JB. It seems as though there has been a change in his speeches though. Initially he was a bit of a drag to listen to. But recently he's picked it up a little...though not nearly as charasmatic as the others.

And to some extent I agree with being able to fight battles "the Trini way". But I think its a dangerous game to play. Its a "Third World" form of politics..which I believe we need to get away from in order to move forward. Its about time responsibilty trumped pecong in dealing with the necessary issues. (I sound like a politician don't I.. laugh.gif)

But I know him walking into Parliament all stone-faced will not garner him respect in a society such as ours.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 3rd Nov, 2006 - 9:36pm / Post ID: #

Winston Dookeran
A Friend

Winston Dookeran

I think you all made some very interesting points about Mr Dookeran and Cookie's points, I would have to say are parallel to mine.

Perception of a leader is very important and Cookie, well said...

He is certainly the Anti-Panday or Anti PNM at the moment, he is not a great leader without doubting his intelligence but unsure if he is what TnT needs. We need a no nonsense leader and I don't think he fits the bill but at the moment he is better than the rest.

I remember the coup of 1990, I remember a broadcast made by Mr Dookeran pleading for help from the United States and at that moment I felt it was an injustice for a man of power (acting PM) at the time to act so helpless, I was 17 at the time. If there is no confidence in the leader, then the people will also question themselves.

3rd Nov, 2006 - 10:03pm / Post ID: #

Winston Dookeran Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

The way he talks (bobbing his head and using his hands in the air) has also become a signature pattern to the point that Tommy Joseph and many others are able to make jokes about it via television and shows, so everyone is noticing his lack of appeal.

QUOTE (Trini808)
I don't think he fits the bill but at the moment he is better than the rest.

Inaction can be as deadly or worst than action. For instance we may not like Manning or we may not like Panday, but they may be better at moving the the country forward than Dookeran - I am not saying it is so, but merely as an example.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Winston Dookeran

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,