Drinking & Mormons - Page 2 of 3

Should I serve alcohol at my wedding reception? - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 9th Jun, 2015 - 8:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
5th Oct, 2006 - 10:44pm / Post ID: #

Drinking & Mormons - Page 2

As Dimavo said, it was due to revelation from God. Alcohol should only be used for the wash of the body.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Oct, 2006 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

Drinking & Mormons
A Friend

Mormons and Drinking

So, let me get this straight, I can soak in a tub full of Tequila, so as long as I don't drink any, right?

(I'm just playin'. I'm really not this dumb. Please don't take that the wrong way. )

6th Oct, 2006 - 3:35pm / Post ID: #

Drinking & Mormons Studies Doctrine Mormon

My first instinct, Willowy1, was to delete your last post as being unconstructive to the discussion. However, I'm going to reply instead, because I've had this question come up before from other folks: "What do you mean, wash our bodies in alcohol?"

Have you never had a wound cleaned with alcohol?

Certain tinctures made from healing herbs use alcohol, like vodka and grain alcohol, as the base to draw the properties from the herbs that are effective as medicines.

Many facial treatments, such as toners and astringents, are made with alcohol.

Of course, we don't use tequila or brandy to bathe in, or any other specialty liquors designed specifically for drinking. The point is, alcohol is for "external use only."

The savior himself drank wine, and instituted the sacrament with wine. However, there are many scriptures that point out someone who has become "drunk with wine" and something bad usually happens. Does not the same happen in our day?

Via modern revelation, we are instructed not to use strong drink. It's just common sense.

Offtopic but,
Willowy1, if you want bathe in tequila, be my guest! If, that is, you can stand the smell, the fumes, and the *cost*! I bet it would sting, too! laugh.gif

Post Date: 7th Oct, 2006 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

Drinking & Mormons
A Friend

Page 2 Mormons and Drinking

Thanks FarSeer for your constructive reply. I was mainly making a joke to point out an argument that I am sure would be made by some people. I simply wanted to do it in a lighthearted way. Sometimes it's hard to make sure things come across properly over a type-written response.

It is my understanding that there were three different words in the Hebrew and Greek texts that were translated as wine: one meaning vineger, one meaning alcoholic wine, and one meaning grape juice. It is also my understanding that the wine from the "water to wine" miracle was the latter and contained no alcohol.

I am wondering, though, what else Mormon's can't drink and why. I have heard Caffiene and even Soda, but I'm not sure how much factual basis these claims come from or exactly why they would be instituted.

7th Oct, 2006 - 11:07am / Post ID: #

Mormons and Drinking

Alcohol, which is the specific subject of this thread, is an addictive substance. I have personal knowledge of the misery it can bring to families and individuals. The small health benefits that are derived from a little wine can hardly outweigh the heartache and misery that come from alcohol abuse. This is the reason for the Lord's law against beer, liquor, and wine.

The Lord commands us not to use wine and strong drinks, meaning drinks containing alcohol. The First Presidency has taught that strong drink often brings cruelty, poverty, disease, and plague into the home. It often is a cause of dishonesty, loss of chastity, and loss of good judgment. It is a curse to all who drink it. Gospel Principles pg. 193

TheWillowy1 I am wondering, though, what else Mormon's can't drink and why. I have heard Caffiene and even Soda, but I'm not sure how much factual basis these claims come from or exactly why they would be instituted.
Tea and coffee are prohibited by the Word of Wisdom. These contain caffeine, which is an addictive substance. Some sodas also contain caffeine, but in lesser quantities. These are not specifically prohibited by the Word of Wisdom but is in violation of the "spirit of the work of Wisdom." There is dispute among church members regarding this, but it is not specifically prohibited.
Offtopic but,
Willowy1, you should look at the thread Farseer started about the Word of Wisdom. You will find some additional good information there.

13th Jun, 2008 - 8:28pm / Post ID: #

Drinking & Mormons

This is the same I hear at my father-in laws church and in many Pentecostal churches. I t is wise not to tempt ones self and be safe rather then sorry.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 14th Jun, 2008 - 3:34pm / Post ID: #

Drinking & Mormons
A Friend

Drinking & Mormons - Page 2

This is probably the one item that I have trouble with and may be to one sole reason why I will not be part of the LDS church. No drinking of alcohol. I do not drink a lot but I do drink. When I say I drink let me give you an example of how much I do drink. I bought a 24 pack of beer last year in may. I still have 2 cans left. I believe that a little wine or a little beer is not going to keep me out of heaven. If it does then woe is me.

Post Date: 9th Jun, 2015 - 8:30pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Drinking & Mormons Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Should I serve alcohol at my wedding reception?

My future husband’s family is not LDS, and while they are not able to attend our temple sealing, they are still excited about attending our reception, which will be held at my parents’ house. Ref. Source 1u

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Drinking & Mormons

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,