Please Explain "Modern Art"

Please Explain Modern Art - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 13th Oct, 2015 - 11:47am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 22nd Sep, 2006 - 5:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Before I say anything I would like to say I am ignorant.

I have been to several "Modern art" Exhibitions and to tell the truth I don't see how most of it is even considered art. I mean who can a bunch of ply wood be thrown into a pile be called art? How can some one excrete into a can, seal it, and label it "My feces" Art? So please explain this phenomenon to me.

Sponsored Links:
22nd Sep, 2006 - 1:10pm / Post ID: #

Artquot quotModern Explain Please

I think that you have hit upon one of the most common questions in the art world. Those of us who live in the real world may (or may not) appreciate many different classical forms of art, but are completely at a loss when confronted with the stuff that so many "enlightened" in the art world consider to be "great" art.

A good example of this is the work of Andy Warhol. He is tremendously celebrated for his work. One of his famous works consists of a whole bunch of pictures of Campbell's soup cans. I can see that anytime I want, in the local grocery store.

I guess that art is in the eye of the beholder. I don't, personally, find much of modern "art" to be artistic.

23rd Sep, 2006 - 2:09am / Post ID: #

Please Explain "Modern Art" UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I'm in total agreement here. Throwing darts at a board covered with balloons filled with paint is not art; that's kindergarten. I'm all for expression through art, but let's have it actually mean something.

Personally, I think it's just a scam for some people to make money - the gallery owner tries to make you believe it's great art, when it's a roll of toilet paper soaked in motor oil, but some folks will actually believe it's art and *buy* it for big bucks. Silly.

Post Date: 31st Dec, 2008 - 4:34am / Post ID: #

Name: Jesse

Comments: I'm an artist and I agree that art should be something more then crap,regardless of what you think art itself is I think anyone can appreciate the talent and effort that goes in to something if nothing else and most modern work has none of the above.it seems to be that a lot of people who like art a lot or at least the idea of being an artist that they start little groups where the judge what is/is not art,etc and talk each other up to the point where they are elitist and,much like the Borg reproduce by assimilation. Bottom line to me is that if you have to explain why a work of art is good then its probably not..

Post Date: 14th Sep, 2015 - 12:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I believe that anything created or performed with aesthetic intent is a work of art. Having said that, not every work of art is good or worthwhile. Artists pooping into cans, getting shot in the arm, or preserving sharks are all examples of how stupid the art world is.

13th Oct, 2015 - 2:02am / Post ID: #

The first poster wanted to know what modern art meant and the rest of you explained what you didn't like. Isn't that in essence what modern art is - anything goes? In reality, and this is just personal opinion, modern art is about using modern items and materials to make art. For instance, a welder can now weld up a piece that could not be done years ago. Another artist might be able to take machine gears of various sizes and create something that never existed. Things like that are modern art for me.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Oct, 2015 - 11:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

You raised a valid point. My answer had almost nothing to do with the question. So let me take another swing at it. To me, the essence of art is communication. Art seeks to express feelings and ideas. Modern art,as a general rule, is more personal and specific to the artist than traditional and classical art.

> TOPIC: Please Explain "Modern Art"

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,