Are Trinis Considered A Primitive People? - Page 4 of 8

QUOTE I've heard that the reason the - Page 4 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 6th Oct, 2007 - 2:20am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Looking for first world status with an attitude that does not match? What is your view about the way Trinis conduct themselves in public?
Post Date: 18th Dec, 2006 - 9:07pm / Post ID: #

Are Trinis Considered A Primitive People?
A Friend

Are Trinis Considered A Primitive People? - Page 4

I have thought about these posts for quite some time, the reason I had spend so much time was agonizing over the word Primitive, referred to my people who are reflection of myself. So Am I Primitive?

It was truly hard to remain objective at the same time struggling to fight back the accusation which cannot be true since I know I am not Primitive but, do I come from a primitive society?

What does this question mean to me and in reflection to the behavior and thinking of my fellow Trinidadians?

Does this Question itself have no real direction but to compel a discussion into the behavior of Trinidadians?

Or maybe the person asking the question, perception of Primitive is unrealistic.

In my previous post I stated that I believe that many Trinidadians are immature in their thinking and I still believe this. I will agree that "ignorance" has a big part to play in many attitudes which contributes to that juvenile behavior.

LDS_ what happened with you in that Taxi is unacceptable and I can't think of anyone Trinidadians alike who would condone this behavior if it were to happen to them. Now I completely believe that this behavior can be found in any country which exist today but its not all who behave this way it's a few. And when there is no protection from these individuals it fosters and becomes another issue the State is unwilling to remedy.

I think there are many Individuals in Trinidad who have no morals and don't care much about them. They feel they can do whatever it is they want without consequences. There are no repercussion as well as Cookie had pointed out.

I can understand what LDS is saying by relaying some of her experiences and I would be a fool to deny that exist. I know pretty well they do and its unfortunate that Trinidadians come from such a Rich country but can't move pasted these infantile behavior.

Well, not all Trinis go to predominantly white neighborhoods abroad. If you notice, there is a large contingency of Trinis in Toronto, New York, Miami, London. Alot of Trinidadians go on "holidays" by their families, who live in those more "caribbeanised" locals. They are still exposed to their "own people", and when they go to shop etc, they stick with their families. This is not to say that they don't meet Caucasians. Of course they do. But its still not as frequent as they would socialize with their own race.

Birds of a Feather Cookie, this happened to every ethnic groups which migrates to those countries.

Believe it or not, people who migrate to other countries for the purpose of a better life feel more inclined to preserve their cultural identity in a place where it can so easily lost.

Its not that they want to abandon their culture or country but the fact they want a better life. So they create their own "Private Trinidad" which is a reflection of their culture which they brought with them.

This culture then takes on its own identity, its own roots and branches which is a reflection of the old and or new customs and Traditions which those individuals deems necessary to preserve.

I think this is a great thing. I don't live in those predominantly Trinidadian and Guyanese neighborhoods but there is some sort of enchantment associated to these places its similar to the enchantment of returning to my place of birth and homeland!

That's why It's a Salad bowl not a melting pot.

Cookie you have visited the US assuming from you post but there are may neighborhoods with high concentration of a certain ethnic group. Irish, Italian, German, Haitian, Cuban, Mexican, Jamaicans, Indians and so on.

I am sure neighborhoods like these exist for all ethnic groups in those countries you mentioned.

Well, Trini's don't have respect for their country. We wont go to another country and do the same nonsense we do here.

Actually a tiger never changes his stripes, there is some level of assimilation which occurs to individuals who move to another country but its limited and no Cookie, they didn't have to smarten up, they were already intelligent individuals but you know the saying "when in Rome." Its usually the offsprings who become completely assimilate into either an American or Trini-American culture.

Back to the Question at hand, I love my people and take pride in being a Trinidadian but my people don't love themselves or each other. Everyone is worried about the other being better than the other. Here in the States there is little unity between Trinidadians. And Trinidadians admit that too, they have a saying "crab in a Barrel". That I think is Primitive behavior so on some level there are Trinidadians who are capable of being Primitive but there are many Intelligent and Noble Trinidadians who think its time to change somethings and we have to work together to build a better future.

Reconcile Message Edited...
I just fixed your quote tags, you need to use this [] instead of <> Thanks.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 18th Dec, 2006 - 9:13pm

Sponsored Links:
19th Dec, 2006 - 4:53pm / Post ID: #

People Primitive Considered Trinis Are

Trini808 said:

Actually a tiger never changes his stripes, there is some level of assimilation which occurs to individuals who move to another country but its limited and no Cookie, they didn't have to smarten up, they were already intelligent individuals but you know the saying "when in Rome."

I am not quite sure about this statement. Cookie's reply was based on a comment I made about people urinating on walls on a busy road, so are you saying that people who does that could be considered "intelligent" in your books? Not in mine, I think is disgusting.

That I think is Primitive behavior so on some level there are Trinidadians who are capable of being Primitive but there are many Intelligent and Noble Trinidadians who think its time to change somethings and we have to work together to build a better future.

Oh, I have no doubts about that. (There are Intelligent and Noble Trinidadians) sadly, those are not usually the ones you meet when traveling on a maxi.

Post Date: 19th Dec, 2006 - 5:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Are Trinis Considered A Primitive People? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Yeah I can see its a bit confusing:

What I am saying is the ones who do urinate on the walls in Trinidad do continue to do the same in the US or other places.

But the people who do choose to live a much more productive life was already intelligent, they didn't have to smarten up.

14th Aug, 2007 - 1:54pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 People Primitive Considered Trinis Are

I was thinking the other day the following after observing people on the streets (your average Jane/Joe). Why I think some Trinis are primitive:

1. Some of them, keep themselves looking so scruffy! Particularly men, they do not shave or bathe and is disgusting seeing them like that, it is is the extreme of primitiveness.

2. They are noisy and they speak by shouting. Even when they say Good Morning they do it loudly and carelessly. They seem not to have empathy for anyone but themselves, if you try to talk to them about it they get either angry and cuss you or they just don't get the point (they look at you like if you are the mad one).

3. They stare at you with their mouth open, like if they are living in some type of lost tribe in the middle of the jungle and they just saw civilization! (Blow me if you don't like what I am saying! rolleyes.gif but is just beyond irritating when they do that in public places!)

4. You can give them a good point or suggestion and they won't take you on...but a white man comes with the SAME point of view and they will listen, in few words, some Trinidadians still living within a slavery/colonial type of mentality. That's so primitive.

5. Some are primitive because they still thinking the color of your skin somehow makes another human being superior or inferior over the other. The fact that MOST Trinis I have personally met classify themselves as "other" and not simply "Black" (as an example) shows how primitive their mindset is. Anything is good but "Black" so let's pull the "mixing" card that works wonderfully.

6. Seeing how some people eat in public places is just disgusting. They go straight to eat without washing their hands first and when they eat they must suck their fingers while doing it!

14th Aug, 2007 - 9:54pm / Post ID: #

People Primitive Considered Trinis Are

Though we are one country, everybody have they own side, referring to the group of people they associate with and depending on where that side is, that is the same behaviour that is exhibited. We all know there are groups who are clannish, or groups who are bold face, and there are many who are primitive, relating to their behaviour and their character. The clannish person can be primitive and the bold face can also be primitive!
The primitive are not the majority in any sense and I do believe T&T has a lot to learn if only they (the primitive) would drop their false beliefs and live to their full potential. The primitive exists on all sides and as I am here in America, to be primitive is still a value regarding false beliefs, bad behaviour and no character.

I am saying being primitve exists in all cultures and T&T is but a small microcosm of the larger world. If you put garbage in a perfumed box and tie it with a nice bow, is still garbage and that exists everywhere!

14th Aug, 2007 - 10:19pm / Post ID: #

Can we drop that cheap cop out line of "It exists everywhere else"? I mean what is the purpose of Discussion if everything ends in "It happens everywhere else too". Drugs happen everywhere, but should it? These people are primitive more so because the attitudes, behavior and culture as described with this Thread are MORE commonly found just walking the streets in Trinidad than most places. You want an example? If I walk down the street now I can guarantee you I will find the following in 10 minutes: a drunk, a vagrant, someone asking me for money, limers and someone that looks like a pusher... come on, this is a SMALL island, we should not be seeing these things as part of normal life - we should be better than that.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Aug, 2007 - 10:44pm / Post ID: #

Are Trinis Considered Primitive People - Page 4

QUOTE (yeniseri @ 14-Aug 07, 5:54 PM)
I am saying being primitve exists in all cultures and T&T is but a small microcosm of the larger world.

Your point? spock.gif So because it happens everywhere we should not discuss it? It is interesting your statement because I notice that most Trinis who are in denial (and you can check several threads on the TT board) are quick to raise the flag that "happens everywhere". It is absolutely irrelevant and does not make the people here look less primitive.

Post Date: 6th Oct, 2007 - 2:20am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Are Trinis Considered Primitive People Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 4

I've heard that the reason the country of Trinidad & Tobago is backward in so many things is because the thinking or mindset of the people is Primitive where they still live in the days of slavery

I just wanted to bring some sanity to the original quote. This quote has gone so far from the original statement. Do people REALLY believe that Trinidad is backward?
Why are so many people coming here? Why are Trinidadians leaving the "so called" civilized countries for the sanity back home?

Rather off topic, but...
When I read the original post I wondered if Gossip was a plant. Someone purposely planted by the administrators to play devil's advocate just to get on people's nerves. I wondered if she is a real person.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Check your spelling. Please use the Offtopic Tags so that the Thread maintains the same subject matter and does not develop into another Topic.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

> TOPIC: Are Trinis Considered A Primitive People?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,