Mother's Blessings & Sisters As Priesthood Holders - Page 3 of 8

QUOTE Yes, I would feel comfortable to speak - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Nov, 2006 - 12:33pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (8) »
Top  Mother' s Blessings & Sisters As Priesthood Holders
16th Oct, 2006 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

Mother's Blessings & Sisters As Priesthood Holders - Page 3

I honestly don't know whether there would be an attempt to call a disciplinary council. I don't understand the reasoning of some of the current policies on discipline.

I know that people who hold the belief of praying to a "Mother in Heaven" face discipline. This could be considered similar.

Personally, I think it is purely a matter between the woman involved, and our Heavenly Father.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Nov, 2006 - 7:53am / Post ID: #

Mother's Blessings & Sisters As Priesthood Holders
A Friend

Holders Priesthood Sisters and Blessings Mothers

Where did you find out this information, LDS? I've never heard of such a practice, but it would make sense for a mother to want to give these blessings to their children. However, this could fall in to the catagory of practices changed from the early church as discussed in other threads

5th Nov, 2006 - 7:01pm / Post ID: #

Mother's Blessings & Sisters As Priesthood Holders Studies Doctrine Mormon

However, this could fall in to the catagory of practices changed from the early church as discussed in other threads

I did not hear about this practice being changed but rather discontinued. I would like to know if anyone have heard of any letter from the First Presidency asking the sisters to stop such practice?

Rather off topic, but...
Where did you find out this information, LDS?

Since this thread and the thread called "Sisters as Priesthood Holders" are in close connection, I am going to merge the two of them.

Okay, you can check page #2 within this thread for quotes from Gaucho and me about it. Thanks

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 5th Nov, 2006 - 7:24pm

6th Nov, 2006 - 12:40am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Holders Priesthood Sisters and Blessings Mothers

This is important for me, especially as a single mother, to know that I could and should be able to bless a sick child in the middle of the night. I've never felt comfortable calling some elder to come and do that for me or for my family if I don't know them very well.

Home teachers and bishops have always admonished me for *not* calling on them when in need, but wouldn't it be more expedient for me to have the oil in my home and be able to use it within the boundaries I know are set? It would be a great comfort to me.

6th Nov, 2006 - 1:31am / Post ID: #

Holders Priesthood Sisters and Blessings Mothers

It's totally understandable and the quotes provided give hope for this practice. Now the question is Roz: Would you do it now? Do you feel comfortable enough to speak with your Bishop about it?

8th Nov, 2006 - 3:19am / Post ID: #

Mother's Blessings & Sisters As Priesthood Holders

Did the sisters in the early days in fact held the Priesthood? If so, why we don't anymore?

In the diary and history of Joseph Smith reads; "Next, Emma Hale Smith became the first woman to receive priesthood and its fullness."

In "Mormon Women Have Had the Priesthood Since 1838" Michael D. Quinn states: "Later church historians in Utah deleted Emma's name for the 1843 description of the prophet's "second Anointing of the Highest  Holiest order." (Willard Richard's diary) 

Sidney Rigdon said: "Emma was the one to whom the female priesthood was first given." (Sidney Rigdon to Stephen Post, LDS Archives)

Brigham Young wrote in his diary: "Mary A. Young admitted in to the hiest [highest] orderer [order of] Preasthood [sic]."

Bathsheba W. Bigler Smith said: "I have always been pleased that I had my endowments when the Prophet lived. He taught us the true order of prayer (unlike the present temple day version). I never like to hear a sermon without hearing something of the Prophet, for he gave us everything every order of the priesthood," And then she continues, "He said he had given the sisters instructions that they could administer to the sick and he wanted to make us, as the women were in Paul's day, 'A kingdom of priestesses.'"(LDS Archives, Pioneer Stake Relief Society minutes, 9 June 1905)

Comments?

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 8th Nov, 2006 - 3:21am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Nov, 2006 - 4:45am / Post ID: #

Mother's Blessings & Sisters Priesthood Holders - Page 3

Would you do it now? Do you feel comfortable enough to speak with your Bishop about it?

Yes, I would feel comfortable to speak to my stake president about it, too, since I actually know him better than my bishop. In fact, I think I will bring some of these quotes to him to help him understand my request and point of view.

"He said he had given the sisters instructions that they could administer to the sick and he wanted to make us, as the women were in Paul's day, 'A kingdom of priestesses.'"

This is a concept I had never heard of before, women holding the priesthood and that Emma had actually been anointed! Very interesting, and worth researching. Thank you for sharing this information.

Roz

8th Nov, 2006 - 12:33pm / Post ID: #

Mother's Blessings & Sisters Priesthood Holders Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

Yes, I would feel comfortable to speak to my stake president about it, too, since I actually know him better than my bishop. In fact, I think I will bring some of these quotes to him to help him understand my request and point of view

I was talking with a lady in another site and she was sharing how she gives blessings to her kids when needed (because of her husband's job, he is away most of the time). She shared that fact to her Stake President who told her that there is nothing wrong with mother's blessings as long as she uses the words "As your mother, I bless you that..." and ending in the name of Jesus Christ. (No Priesthood power called)

Since the practice has not been discontinued, forbidden or discouraged I feel we are free to do it.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (8) »

> TOPIC: Mother's Blessings & Sisters As Priesthood Holders

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,