Cult Psychology

Cult Psychology - Studies of Dreams, Mystics, Paranormal - Posted: 26th Feb, 2007 - 10:14am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Do we have something to fear?
Post Date: 31st Oct, 2006 - 12:09am / Post ID: #

Cult Psychology

Cult Psychology

Humans driven by some cultish belief system or ideal will often go to fulfilling the extremes of what they deem to be right. Often the Cult Psychology is one of unusual movement, actions or positions in society that would seem unrealistic to secular religious groups and the population at large. Do you think that there are those, religious leaders or icons specifically, who play on the minds of others in Psychological warfare or is it a human game gone wrong? What is your view?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 31st Oct, 2006 - 10:03pm / Post ID: #

Cult Psychology
A Friend

Psychology Cult

I think it's mostly the cult and his/her charisma ability to convince and manipulate minds and that holds cults together. Once the cult leader is say dead or in jail, cults ultimately fall apart or are severely weakened, unlike more popular religions that are based on more logical and acceptable behaviors. When the Pope dies, Catholicism goes on. When a small town Baptist minister dies, the parish goes on.

Cults that are based on some far out crazy beliefs generally don't last because they require the perfect combination of impressionable minds and a strong, very intelligent and charismatic person to lead them. Once that person's influence is removed and there is no one with the same influence to take over, they will dissolve. Especially if mass suicide takes place.

So yes, I think the icons and their psychological warfare capabilities are the key to successful cults.

One exception is Ron Hubbard and scientology only because he managed to also convince some very influential people who are charismatic and convincing enough themselves to keep the religion going. Also, I think scientology beliefs are just a tad more mainstream than some other cult's. And yes, I consider scientology a cult, but that's just my opinion.

25th Nov, 2006 - 5:23pm / Post ID: #

Cult Psychology Paranormal & Mystics Dreams Studies

In my view, many if not most cults are started by one very charismatic person - who also happens to be a sociopath or even a psychopath - who believes that they are somehow divine. They prey on young people and others who are vulnerable to that overwhelming charisma or pressure to "fit in" or "belong" to a cause. They find others who help them control the group - and I can't honestly understand who these people are, other than those who may recognize potential power and the promise of glory at the side of this leader.

So many people are hungry for truth, and are disillusioned and dissatisfied with whatever current religion they may have. Some have never found anything like religion in their lives and are susceptible, in my opinion, to being swayed by untruths and deception.

One of the main features of cults is to separate people from their families and friends so that they have no support system to help them sort out what is happening to them. (This is also a tactic of domestic abusers - power and control.) Another trait of cults is that they rarely grow very large. Too many people in the group, and it starts to "fray around the edges" - some of the group will begin to question things. Also, cults don't generally last very long because the prophecies and prediction made by the "divine" leader don't come to pass - and this is when you find the group suicide, or the arrests.

A terribly sad situation all around, in my opinion.

Post Date: 26th Feb, 2007 - 10:14am / Post ID: #

Cult Psychology
A Friend

Psychology Cult

How is this different from the early stages of Christianity? Or Judaism? I'm sure many people in society thought Christ and his disciples to be nuts. In fact, Christ's own people saw him die a tortured death - and seeing a convicted murderer set free in the process - than admit that he was the Messiah.

Every major religion started out the same way.

When the Pope dies, Catholicism goes on. When a small town Baptist minister dies, the parish goes on.

Catholocism was a construct of politcs. Designed to manipulate the masses into one manageable group. Present day Christianity was derived from Catholocism.

One exception is Ron Hubbard and scientology only because he managed to also convince some very influential people who are charismatic and convincing enough themselves to keep the religion going.

Again, I refer to the Christian movement.

There is no real difference between the early stages of any organized religion and a cult movement. Essentially they are the same.

Reconcile Edited: paindruid on 26th Feb, 2007 - 10:14am

> TOPIC: Cult Psychology

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,